Subject: Icons Dragons in home play. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When you buy a brick of D&D Icons of the Realms the Tyranny of Dragons, it's extremely easy to end up with another model of a dragon on a flight base, identical to a dragon you already have a set for in attack wing.

They are the SAME model with a slightly different base mount.

Getting a good colour photo copy on heavy paper stock of the base of the same attack wing dragon you may already own is no problem, ditto for the powers cards.

The dial however can be very tricky especially if it's already together and here is where I hit on my very simple fix... Copy the flight and land "manoeuvre" cards for that dragon that show all possible flight paths and put them in decent plastic card sleeves.

During the plotting phase simply use a slim white board dry erase marker to circle the type of course icon you have selected and place the card facedown behind your new "home dragon" as you would with a dial.

Reveal as normal.

Next plot phase you simply wipe your previous selection off (thanks to the plastic sleeve and the dry erase marker) and indicate either the same course again or a new one.

It's a simple solution to getting the identical and far cheaper models from icons of the realms out on your home table without the need of having to make fussy moving dial proxies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bridget

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if such a thing is allowed in an official game (if wanting to run 2 dragons of a type) provided one was an actual attack wing model? Am wondering asat one point, before attack wingcame out, I purchased a set of dragons on ebay bot realizing that they were different. I DID buy sdditional bases to fit these other dragons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
t1mberw0lf wrote:
Does anyone know if such a thing is allowed in an official game (if wanting to run 2 dragons of a type)...

I believe the "official" position is that this is not allowed. You need to have the correct models, dials, bases and cards.
That being said, usually it's been left to the discretion of each TO on whether or not they will allow non-official proxies.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wispur Kultus
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
t1mberw0lf wrote:
Does anyone know if such a thing is allowed in an official game (if wanting to run 2 dragons of a type) provided one was an actual attack wing model? Am wondering asat one point, before attack wingcame out, I purchased a set of dragons on ebay bot realizing that they were different. I DID buy sdditional bases to fit these other dragons.

I think at our location, we would welcome the proxies during regular, fun, casual play, but not for "official" stuff like OPs.

We're trying to stay close to Wizkid's rules, since stores can lose their event status if people complain about something not being by the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't get me wrong folks... I'm not here trying to encourage mass copyright infringement or piracy arrrh D&D Attack Wing is a great product and wiz kids and wizards make a great team and deserve your coin... But it just seems foolish and a bit wasteful if you have purchased BOTH Icons of the realms and attack wing, not to use what are essentially the exact same model in some way in your home games of attack wing.

In the same way I will also be using the miniatures from attack wing on the grid mats of both D&D 5e and Pathfinder RPGs.
Five minutes in a print shop and I've got a new active game piece that looks virtually the same... Why wouldn't I do it?

I mean I did buy the models in two different ways... For two different offical games... I found a way that the dragons could be together, when you think about it... It's kind of romantic that the dragons now fly together despite coming from different worlds

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot use proxies in official events. Even if you had a different dragon model, you'd have to proxy the base plate, maneuver dial, etc.

http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=30...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gradin
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delta_angelfire wrote:
You cannot use proxies in official events. Even if you had a different dragon model, you'd have to proxy the base plate, maneuver dial, etc.

http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=30...

Would you accept a proxy of the prize?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My intention for this thread was purely to describe the use of HOME dragons. I would never rock up to an OP event with any sort of proxy, but on my home table, we call the icons dragons "wild dragons"... Because it sounds WAY better than "proxy dragons" which somehow makes them sound like I just stuck a walnut on a tooth pick and stuck on paper wings and googly eyes with a label on its base saying "dragon".

The icons dragons take nothing away from the look and the play of a home game.
Just saves the wallet a bit.

Here in Australia, an icons of the realms minatures booster with the 4 D&D figs, one figure being a good chance of getting the same attack wing dragons, costs $17.99.
The single dragon packs for attack wing cost $30 plus here and the starter cost me a massive $70.

If I just want another copper dragon on the home table... It's easier and WAY cheaper to just use an icons copper gained from booster draw or sourced on the secondary EBay market for as little a $13.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.