Subject: NEW WING MAN rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just entered the x-wing universe and yes I guess there is no way around it, I must admit I got struck by enthousiasm and overdid my purchase.

So I'm now sat at my desk looking at a rather large fleet,(wondering what to buy next).

During the unwrapping of things I happened upon some questions.

How do you store this stuff?
I reckon I could put it all back in the various boxes, allthough I reckon putting ships on display would take up less space.
And ofcourse with the sealed boxes which you have to cut open, putting them back is not an option.

And what about all the things that come with the sets.
I had the feeling I might be clever if I put it in baggies for each ship, it'll save time finding stuff and confusion, but maybe there is a better way?

One thing that was a bit disappointing are these pegs you stick your ships on.

I find several of them won't stick in the base.
Some won't stay in at all and at best stand at a precarious angle which is no good. And others lose the base as soon as you pick them up, which will be annoying during game play.

So I wonder what I can do about that.
The only solution I can think of would be a dab of clue.
Than again you want to disattach them when you change pilots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Knight
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are plenty of storage options. You're welcome to do a search on these forums to find pictures.

Some people use Plano brand storage containers. Those that do sometimes modify them. I ended up cutting all the dividers out of mine and purchased pluck foam, which I then placed inside the plano container. Now I use Portable Warefare's system. There is also Battlefoam, which is expensive.

It depends on how much you have to store and your preference on storate. Take a look at my gallery (click my name). I think I still have some photos of my plano storage in there.

As far as the pegs, I flip them around until I find a good fit. If it is loose in the ship, it may fit better on the base, and vice versa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the number tokens help secure the pegs to the base. When you have more ships, you can just set aside pegs that are loose. (But I have never had them stand tilted if I have the peg facing the correct way. Check that you have the base oriented the correct way.)

I used to store two core sets and 4 ships in one core box:

Then I got more ships, but I can still fit everything in two core boxes:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a tiny square of plastic wrap, put it over the hole in the base, place peg over the wrap in the center and insert into it hole. The peg should fit more snugly in the base now and the wrap is more or less invisible. Trim with tweezers if any wrap sticks out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on my phone so I can't easily link it but I wrote a blog post on storage and linked many ideas in addition to my own. You can easily look it up by clicking my name and then select blog. I think it's about 5 blog posts down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! I followed an identical path to X-Wing as you did. My first purchase of ships was a 28 ship collection off ebay. I haven't looked back. This was before Wave 5 so I have added a number of ships to the collection.

If you search BGG for storage solutions for X-Wing you'll see a post by Piqsid regarding a certain kind of plano box. It contains 4 big Plano boxes and the top opens to a large storage space.

I have quite a few ships and this works fine with room for Wave 6 too. The top part is all pick n pluck foam. The foam that was ppicked/plucked is used as padding in the plano boxes.

For a clearer idea of what I'm talking about do find Piqsid's post on here.

As far as ships that don't fit on posts. Yes, it happens. I usually use a teeny piece of the pick/pluck foam (like something you could squish under your fingernail) to put over the hole of the ship before I put the post in. This makes it snug and all is well. No glue, no breaking things, problem solved.

The components? Most of it is redundant. You'll quickly learn you'll only need a dozen each evade/focus/stress (for both players), a set of target locks, 6 dice of each color, and maybe a couple cloak tokens. The rest you can probably tuck away in a drawer. Make sure you save all the ship instruction manuals that come with the ships. You'll reference them from time to time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can see my $30 solution here. That article is fairly old, I have since added a bunch more ships (and even a Decimator) and they all fit! Check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RCH RCH
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Class of 2004
badge
It's not Jackie Chan!
mbmbmbmbmb
I see a lot of people using Plano products to store the game.
Personally, I use the following:
http://www.flambeauoutdoors.com/en/fishing/site/details/8010

I bought that a long time ago when HeroClix was a new game to store that. Having ditched Clix a long time ago, I re-purposed the tackle box for X-wing.
I will say that I was able to get it on clearance for about $30. Also, since I bought it from a brick and mortar store, I was able to ditch the two smaller trays in favor of a second larger tray.

The larger tray has 12 different sections and a single section can hold ships as large as the Slave 1 or Lambda Shuttle with ease.
You can also remove some of the section dividers to allow storing of the templates. I have no problem fitting even the range template within the trays.

The top section is very deep. I currently have my Falcon, 2x Decimators, Transport, and Corvette in the upper section along with Ultra Pro Dex Boxes holding my pilot cards (the smaller cards are down below in the trays).
I still have enough room that I am confident it will fit my Raider when it arrives.

Can't help on the pegs. Some of mine are actually tight enough that I have to apply a good amount of elbow grease to un-do them at the end of a game. None are too loose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Danath wrote:
I'm on my phone so I can't easily link it but I wrote a blog post on storage and linked many ideas in addition to my own. You can easily look it up by clicking my name and then select blog. I think it's about 5 blog posts down.

Another Storage? A Military Storage? Where is the Rebel Storage?

There we go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
Germany
Wedel
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you are located in Europe, I would recommand the Feldherr storage foams. I just bought several of those and am quite happy with them

https://www.feldherr.com/x-wing/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I right in understanding that stuf that comes with a ship or set is specific to that particulsr set?
So anything in the imperial aces set should be used only with those ships and there fore stored seperately, i.e. Don't just throw it all in the box.

So upgrades are specific for certain ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JS
Germany
North Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps this can help:
http://www.tanelorn.net/index.php/topic,71051.msg1903037.htm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Whiteman
United States
Middletown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Am I right in understanding that stuf that comes with a ship or set is specific to that particulsr set?
So anything in the imperial aces set should be used only with those ships and there fore stored seperately, i.e. Don't just throw it all in the box.

So upgrades are specific for certain ships.

Most upgrades are usable on any ship that has that slot. So an Astromech from the X-wing can be used on an E-wing or A-wing since they have the Astromech slot. There are some specific upgrades that are limited to either a specific ship, faction, or size of ship (small/large/huge) those will be indicated clearly by an italicized text beneath the name of the upgrade. Rebel captive for example can only be placed on an Imperial ship with a crew slot as it say Imperial Only below its name. Feel free to toss everything into one binder/box or any other way that makes it easiest for you to track them down quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean Y-wing not A-wing. I wish A-wings had astromechs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Is there any 'advised' number of ships you should have?

My current imperial fleet and yes I know I got over enthousiastic:

1 lambda shuttle
2 tie interceptors, which three ships in my mind make a nice set as from what I've hear interceptors are used to protect important people traveling through space.

1 tie bomber - wanted 2 but something went wrong in packing my order

1 advanced -which seems as many as I logically should have as it, as I understand it, is Vaders personal ship.

Than I've got 5 tie fighters whizzing about which I assume is a nice number.

Rebel fleet:
I've got 3 x-wings which as I understand it makes a squad so that's just right.

Also 1 A wing and 1 B wing which in my mind is a bit silly as these don't look as the kind of ships you'd have galloping through space on their own.

As I'm not yet familiar with the tactis and unit or is that squad sizes, or how they fight, I wonder how much of each I should logically have.

And yes I know the light side is at a disadvantage, but I had to change my order to have it in time for Christmas and therefore I lack a Falcon and an Y-wing, which will now be on my next order.

About scenarioes, with my sets I got numbers 6,7 and 9 so I now wonder how to get the others that must be around.
Can they be downloaded or.....?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't look overenthusiastic to me.

There's no standard to how many ships one needs to own. Except maybe the "TIE swarm" which needs a lot of TIE Fighters, and you seem to be well equipped on that regard. It's all up to you. Play what you have and you should find out if you'd like to have more of some particular ship.

Missions traditionally comes with bigger boxes such as big ships and aces packs. You can download them here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/96616/x-wing-official-mis...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how I store my stuff, granted it is a lot of stuff, but it scales.

http://imgur.com/a/ZOjCN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I meant to say was that as I understand it x wings come in 3s as a combat unit, so is the same true for others.

Big ships will be on my next list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.