United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loving this game so far. But it seems like the log sheet isn't big enough.

In my first six patrols, I only sunk 68,000 tons. But here it is, August '41, and I've sunk 23k in one Atlantic patrol, encountering two convoys. And I've managed this with only taking two hull hits, so I opted to attempt re-supply, and got it. The only problem is that there are only nine slots on the log sheet but I've encountered eight ships! So I guess I'll have to erase the ones I didn't sink. Is this common enough that I should start playing with my laptop next to me/Excel? I really would prefer the complete analog experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Schall
United States
Evans City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only write down ships I sink so I am usually ok. However, I do really like the excel spreadsheets out there or the vassal module to help track things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually just use the next row for those times I encounter more than nine ships.
Next row is Refitmonth so that won't be used for Targets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
mbmbmbmbmb
I only log ships that I'm actually shooting at. Also, you can use spaces left over from less successful patrols for any extra ships from bountiful patrols--
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Riener
Austria
Vienna
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindu wrote:
I really would prefer the complete analog experience.

Well - if it is for 'role-playing', you might think about writing down your war-diary (a nice template to print out is somewhere in the file section).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindu wrote:
Loving this game so far. But it seems like the log sheet isn't big enough.

In my first six patrols, I only sunk 68,000 tons. But here it is, August '41, and I've sunk 23k in one Atlantic patrol, encountering two convoys. And I've managed this with only taking two hull hits, so I opted to attempt re-supply, and got it. The only problem is that there are only nine slots on the log sheet but I've encountered eight ships! So I guess I'll have to erase the ones I didn't sink. Is this common enough that I should start playing with my laptop next to me/Excel? I really would prefer the complete analog experience.

Heya,
What Stig commented is the "preferred" solution....the month below your current month is always a refit month (unless you're a type IX, in which case you're still at sea regardless) so you just keep writing targets on that line. That will see you through about 4 convoys - which should be more than sufficient in 99.9% of cases.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the game!

Greg Smith
Game Designer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Javelin
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I just played with my son who was home from college....it was his birthday gift and he was THRILLED when the 2nd edition showed up over Xmas break...thanks for the great game Greg!

We had the same trouble....we were trying to write down ship names, ID#'s, tonnage etc. Since it was our first play we didn't realize that we would "lose" any ship we didn't target. Next game we are going to scribble down info and then neatly document the actual targets only using method in the rulebook sample plus ID#. Each box will have name at top,then below (T1/T2/T3/C), ID#, then tonnage (and use circles and checks per the provided sample).
Realize once you "milk cow" you automatically add an extra line ("P") so you get another line for that. If you take a IX you already have one extra as others have noted above. Hope that helps!

Greg: Has anyone ever made a spreadsheet for the log? With phones and tablets all over most houses I think that would be great to use and then share. I know we had my phone on the table the other night because we were "bluetoothing" the soundtrack for Das Boot through a micro speaker ;-) highly recommended BTW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kranz
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a link for the Log sheet/spreadsheet:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/99716/logsheet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Javelin
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thanks John! I can't believe I didn't look first, ask later on that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannes wrote:
Rindu wrote:
I really would prefer the complete analog experience.

Well - if it is for 'role-playing', you might think about writing down your war-diary (a nice template to print out is somewhere in the file section).

Yeah I’m with you Hannes - for some reason I find it hard to play without doing this

There’s some great Kreigstagbuches (operational diary) templates in the Files section both printable and electronic or you can just run your own log book cool

Though I do also like that Excel sheet John linked to indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.