Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I must be missing its usefulness. I guess I would want to use it when I have 2+ waste, and hope my opponent has only expensive cards in hand? Then I would trade a waste, trash a waste, and get something expensive. But that's a super rare case, and I am down to three cards and my opponents are down to four.
Compare it to the other 4-cost attack (I forget the name) which provides one gold and makes everyone else discard one card. At least that one makes everyone have 4 cards. True, it's still likely to be only vaguely useful since opponents are likely to have a waste to discard. But at least it gives you a money!
Yeah, overall attack cards seem terrible. Please prove me wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
We ended up house-ruling the Politician to let it trash Normal Trains as well, which makes it a bit more useful but still not great.

I do think the Protesters can be very helpful, though; a couple of good hits can extend the game enough to make a significant difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Burger
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Politician card is perfect.

It's usefulness is questionable, it has the ability to derail strategy, and aggravates others when it is used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we also wondered about its value/usefulness.

From what I understand you get to trash any card including Normal trains (we return to supply), but I still don't think it would be a useful card to have in most instances. You will still end up with only 3 card to play after you use it.

I certainly get the joke in here:
Quote:
It's usefulness is questionable, it has the ability to derail strategy, and aggravates others when it is used.

Which is also absolutely correct

But I fail to see why I want to buy these and not almost any other card.

Perhaps if the card you return to the supply would provide you with some bonus, but as it is i am left puzzled.
Maybe it provides you with coins of the amount the card is worth.
Returning a normal train provides 1 coin, waste 0, limited express train 6 (although why would you do that)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
The official response from AEG was that you can't return Normal Trains because they don't have a place in the supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ellis
United States
Aloha
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Try a new game today :)
badge
Happy Gaming!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunyazad wrote:
The official response from AEG was that you can't return Normal Trains because they don't have a place in the supply.

I'm certainly good with the AEG response. We went back and forth on the Normal Train issue during playtesting and it was definitely cleanest (rules wise) to say 'no' to the Normal Train situation. Please note that they specifically say that you are always welcome to house rule otherwise :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Johnson
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
BG Apps and Vids
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s basically a way to get cards you don’t want out of your deck, to thin out your deck. This is a crucial strategy in Core Worlds and Star Realms. Until Rising Sun, this was not generally an option in Trains (except the Wagon Factory). I was very excited to have this option now. Basically, you want to take out less valuable cards so that the better cards come out more often.

There is the Reclamation Depot and the Dispatcher as well.

It would never have occurred to me not to do this with Normal Trains. Whilst I understand AEG’s point of view, I don’t think the average gamer (including myself) would draw that conclusion. If that is what they intended, that really needed to be spelled out somewhere.

I have played with this card once, and I did rather badly. I though it would be much more useful to thin out my deck, but the card itself is taking up room in your deck and that diminishes its usefulness a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MatthewJohnsonApps wrote:
I have played with this card once, and I did rather badly. I though it would be much more useful to thin out my deck, but the card itself is taking up room in your deck and that diminishes its usefulness a lot.

Don't forget, Matthew, that it also lets everybody ELSE thin out their deck. But you're the one who wasted 4 money and a card to do it.

For now, I'm considering this a dead card in any game I draw it. I just can't imagine buying it over any other possible 4 cost (or even 3 cost) card.

That's not my favorite thing in a deck builder, but I prefer a few dead cards to a few OP cards that everyone has to buy every chance they can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Johnson
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
BG Apps and Vids
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone (including the person that plays the card) passes a card to another player, but only the person who played the card is actually removing a card from their hand.

If we assume a simple case that everyone passes a Normal Train around, then everyone is back where they started, except the person who played the card, who can get rid of a card. If that is a common case, then only the person playing the card is thinning out their deck.

In a more generalised case, we can assume that people are going to pass their least valuable card (possibly even a waste) so as not to give their neighbour an advantage. Thus on average most people are going to have a similar value deck before and after, except the person who played the card.

So actually it’s not true that everyone else is thinning out their deck. On average everyone else evens out, maybe some people get lucky and get a higher valued card (like an express train) because the person on their left doesn't have any lower value cards in their hand at the time. But it will tend to even out. Only the person who played the card gets to actually reduce their deck size on average.

Having said all that, I don’t think it’s a worthwhile card for the cost.

GameMasterX0” wrote:
...I prefer a few dead cards to a few OP cards that everyone has to buy every chance they can.

Fair point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My mistake! I misread the whole thing as applying to every player, missing the "your" on the trash effect.
Still too expensive, but at least it has a use!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.