San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Entry Thread for Countdown to Disaster!

COMPONENT READY!!

Designed for the 2015 Solitaire Print and Play Design Contest.

Synopsis:
You’re a Robotics repair expert working for a robot toy factory who’s been called in to rewire the CEO's personal robot found wondering the halls. You begin to examine the robot when suddenly the robots "self destruct" countdown timer starts to countdown from 16 minutes and your heart rate just went into overdrive. Upon further inspection you notice the Robot is controlled by an encrypted code sequencer and you need to figure out how to connect your Code Analyzer to the Robot’s timer. Your new high-tech Code Analyzer is used to bypass the Robot's timer and prevent the robot from destroying is massive program! To do this you must figure out the wiring sequence from the mass of wires in front of you and rewiring the robot to include your code analyzer, which will eliminate the timer and allow you to over-right the Robot's "self destruct" timer! You have less than 16 minutes to figure out the wiring sequence and connect your Code Analyzer. If you can figure out this circuit and connect each of the four individual wires from the robot's timer to your code analyzer, you will safely stop the timer and eventually defuse the Robot's "self destruct" timer; saving your job as well as the bosses robot! Countdown to disaster begins…

Components:
[1] – Robot Game board

[22] – Countdown Timer cards
--------------------------------
[15] – RED countdown timer cards, from 15:00 to 01:00
[6] – GREEN zero timer cards 00:00
[1] – Bomb card

[56] – Rewire Operational cards total
-----------------------------------------
[6] – Vertical Swap 1 space
[6] – Vertical Swap 2 space
[6] – Vertical Swap 3 space
[6] – Horizontal Swap 1 space
[6] – Horizontal Swap 2 space
[6] – Horizontal Swap 3 space
[8] – 360 rotate
[6] – Tile Swap
[6] – Tile replacement

[120] – Wire routing tiles

Description of Play
Countdown to Disaster is a combination tile placement, card management game and race against the clock style game. Your Code Analyzer has [4] color coded wires “Red, Green, Blue and Yellow” which must be connected to the timer of the robot so as to be able to bypass the timer and prevent the robot from erasing its program! These connections will be made through the [16] wire routing tiles on the game board. The robot itself is amass of wires, which is represented by the 4x4 grid of wire tiles on the game board that are routed in different directions to try and prevent you from defusing the robot self destruct timer. Your goal is to figure out the four individual wire routes to connect your code analyzer to the robot's timer. You must figure out a complete connection route for each wire from the code analyzer to the robot's timer before the timer runs out and robot erases its program!
You have special wiring tools that allow you to manipulate the wires and create or change the route of each existing wire or wires. With your tools in hand you can swap wires vertically and horizontally 1, 2, or 3 spaces. You can also rotate the direction of a specific wire or wire group up to 270 degrees. The last tool allows you to actually cut out “replace” a wire or wire group with a new wire or wire group from the bottom four tiles! When you replace a wire or wire group you can rotate the tile to the position of your choice.

Files:
Full color files - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1uf40c274e3wldl/AACrvIk29TxS-PVZV...

Printer Friendly - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/atpjdqc98101544/AAChDAwRraUJItw0P...

Categories
Best Medium game
Best Written Rules
Best Artwork
Best Hotel Game
Most Innovative Mechanic Category
Best Greyscale Printed Game Category
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] - Countdown to Disaster - 2015 PnP Design Contest
First order of business is to see who and how many will play test so I can make sure if I have the correct card and tile count!
I need to make sure if 8 cards are either too much or not enough.
Also the tiles need to be verified to see if the number of tiles I have are either too much or not enough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hardy
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds a heck of fun Joseph! Looking forward to try it. Subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing I looked at was the pictures and I thought it would be a nice, quiet tile-laying puzzle game but then I read the theme and smiled. You sure made it sound dramatic and life-threatening!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wilson
United States
Edenton
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks neat - can't wait to playtest it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PRINTED!! Cutting tomorrow and will give it a go! Let you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wm Seabrook
United Kingdom
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How many Wire Routing tiles are there in the game? The rules and description above states 80, but the download includes 6 Wiring Tile Sheets each of which has 20 tiles (2 blank on last) which gives 118!

Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmfs wrote:
How many Wire Routing tiles are there in the game? The rules and description above states 80, but the download includes 6 Wiring Tile Sheets each of which has 20 tiles (2 blank on last) which gives 118!

Am I missing something?

120 is the total! I need to update the description! Thanks for pointing that out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wm Seabrook
United Kingdom
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No problem; thanks for great little game. (80 is also quoted in the rules)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the board meant to be printed on 11x17 (A3) paper?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
Is the board meant to be printed on 11x17 (A3) paper?

Yes, but you could print it on two letter size sheets and tape them together.

I can create these PDF images if people need it and can't print on 11x17?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, please provide a split PDF just to help those without a large access printer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game last night. I really enjoyed it. The rulebook is very well written and the game play straightforward. I didn't write down any questions about the rules at all. The one question I had about the game (which is probably fairly obvious) was about these tiles:
I assume these are dead end tiles that basically need to be replaced if they show up on the grid. I don't think I saw any mention of them in the rules so you may want to mention that they exist somewhere in the rule book.

Here is my initial set up:

I was a little surprised to beat the game on my first try and with a lot of time left on the clock.

Did I just get lucky or are others having an easy time beating the game too?

My comments about the game:
1 I really love the jumpers on the grid. When I set up the game I wasn't sure I would need to use them but I ended up using 3 of the 4 to win. (The red line uses two of the jumpers itself)
2 The card play for manipulating tiles is very elegant and easy to understand. The rotate card 360° card could probably be replaced by a 270° card since rotating a card by 360° isn't too helpful but that's a minor issue.
3 There are so many of every card that I found it fairly easy to wait for the cards I needed. This is a very large PNP game and took awhile to build. That's not a bad thing by itself, but I wonder if reducing the number of cards would make the game easier to build and a little harder?
4 I don't know how exactly to implement this, but as I was playing I sort of wished there were some events that would mix things up. Something like drawing an event card that said "Broken Wire" and made me replace a random tile or something like that. It just felt like it would be fun to mix things up a little.
5 I wonder if the theme about a bomb in an actual building might turn people off from the game. It didn't bother me a lot since the game is basically an abstract, but I wonder if you'd get more players if you changed it to something like robot repair or something. Maybe you are racing against the clock to fix your web server before Black Friday shoppers start trying to shop on your website. (Can you tell I worked in online retail for years?)

Overall, this was great fun. I really enjoyed it and will try it again soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
wmfs wrote:

Am I missing something?

120 is the total! I need to update the description! Thanks for pointing that out!
Am I supposed to use the blank tiles? I think I threw them away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wm Seabrook
United Kingdom
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
kingspud wrote:
wmfs wrote:

Am I missing something?

I used the 'blank' tile as the back for square wire tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmfs wrote:
chansen2794 wrote:
kingspud wrote:
wmfs wrote:

Am I missing something?

I used the 'blank' tile as the back for square wire tiles.
I printed the ink friendly version so the blanks were just white squares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
I played a game last night. I really enjoyed it. The rulebook is very well written and the game play straightforward. I didn't write down any questions about the rules at all. The one question I had about the game (which is probably fairly obvious) was about these tiles:
I assume these are dead end tiles that basically need to be replaced if they show up on the grid. I don't think I saw any mention of them in the rules so you may want to mention that they exist somewhere in the rule book.

Here is my initial set up:

I was a little surprised to beat the game on my first try and with a lot of time left on the clock.

Did I just get lucky or are others having an easy time beating the game too?

My comments about the game:
1 I really love the jumpers on the grid. When I set up the game I wasn't sure I would need to use them but I ended up using 3 of the 4 to win. (The red line uses two of the jumpers itself)
2 The card play for manipulating tiles is very elegant and easy to understand. The rotate card 360° card could probably be replaced by a 270° card since rotating a card by 360° isn't too helpful but that's a minor issue.
3 There are so many of every card that I found it fairly easy to wait for the cards I needed. This is a very large PNP game and took awhile to build. That's not a bad thing by itself, but I wonder if reducing the number of cards would make the game easier to build and a little harder?
4 I don't know how exactly to implement this, but as I was playing I sort of wished there were some events that would mix things up. Something like drawing an event card that said "Broken Wire" and made me replace a random tile or something like that. It just felt like it would be fun to mix things up a little.
5 I wonder if the theme about a bomb in an actual building might turn people off from the game. It didn't bother me a lot since the game is basically an abstract, but I wonder if you'd get more players if you changed it to something like robot repair or something. Maybe you are racing against the clock to fix your web server before Black Friday shoppers start trying to shop on your website. (Can you tell I worked in online retail for years?)

Overall, this was great fun. I really enjoyed it and will try it again soon.

Hi Chris,

Big thank you for trying out the game!

Did you print the version that had 120 tiles? If so, yes that is why it was so easy! I recaculated the number of tiles for the game and came up with around 80! I will post the new sheets, which should make it much more challenging!!

I will respond more later since I'm using my phone and its a pain to type!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris,

ok, I'm able to use my computer so now I can answer your questions!

1. Your win was pretty fast so I want to ask you when you would take a tile from the bottom [4] tiles and place it on the game board, did you rotate the tile to a position you wanted OR take the tile as it is shown and place it in the same position?

2. When you placed the initial 16 tiles did you rotate any of them before placing them or just flip the tile and place it on the board?

3. When you take a tile of the draw deck are you rotating it or placing it as it is when you flip it over?

4. My latest update to the game brings all the tiles down to about 4 tiles for each wire image, which is around 80 so if you had more than this amount that is why it was so easy to win.

5. The blank tile is just a spare and isn't suppose to be used!

6. The tiles with the wire end or arc are tiles that don't connect to anything and must be replaced during play.

7. I think you might be correct in your assessment of the bomb theme and I really like the idea of repairing a robot that is about to got live in a toy store or something like that. I plan on redoing the theme when the contest is over just to make if more family friendly OR do I have time to re-theme the game now???

8. I really like your idea of adding some hiccup's or glitches that throw you off and can mess up your planning. This is great and I plan on adding some new cards with some new ideas of causing the player to jump through some hurdles! Thanks

Let me ask you some questions:

1. When you were playing did you think the eight cards in your hand were too much?

2. Did you ever feel pressured in the game that time was running out and the bomb might blow up on you?

3. I think the card count you used was definitely too much but even so, did you feel the cards you needed were coming up too fast or too easy?

4. If I can fix these issues and create a 40% to 50% win ratio, would you still find the game very playable, challenging and fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
1. Your win was pretty fast so I want to ask you when you would take a tile from the bottom [4] tiles and place it on the game board, did you rotate the tile to a position you wanted OR take the tile as it is shown and place it in the same position?
I did. I remembered that wrong and thought I could. I just went back and looked it up in the rules and realized I played that part wrong. However, many of the tiles I took from that row were with the "Wire Replacement" card which does allow for rotation. I probably used that card more often than discarding cards from my hand to get tiles from that row.

kingspud wrote:
2. When you placed the initial 16 tiles did you rotate any of them before placing them or just flip the tile and place it on the board?
I didn't rotate the tiles when placing the initial 16.

kingspud wrote:
3. When you take a tile of the draw deck are you rotating it or placing it as it is when you flip it over?
I didn't rotate the tiles when taking from the draw deck (refilling the four spaces at the bottom)

kingspud wrote:
4. My latest update to the game brings all the tiles down to about 4 tiles for each wire image, which is around 80 so if you had more than this amount that is why it was so easy to win.
I have 120 tiles in my version.

kingspud wrote:
5. The blank tile is just a spare and isn't suppose to be used!

6. The tiles with the wire end or arc are tiles that don't connect to anything and must be replaced during play.
I assumed both of these correctly.

kingspud wrote:
7. I think you might be correct in your assessment of the bomb theme and I really like the idea of repairing a robot that is about to got live in a toy store or something like that. I plan on redoing the theme when the contest is over just to make if more family friendly OR do I have time to re-theme the game now???
The entry deadline is August 2nd, 2015 so you can make any changes you need to until that time.

kingspud wrote:
8. I really like your idea of adding some hiccup's or glitches that throw you off and can mess up your planning. This is great and I plan on adding some new cards with some new ideas of causing the player to jump through some hurdles! Thanks
Cool! I think that could add a lot of fun to the game.

kingspud wrote:
Let me ask you some questions:

1. When you were playing did you think the eight cards in your hand were too much?
No, I actually liked having lots of options. There were some turns where I didn't use all the cards because I couldn't see anything I wanted to vertically swap (or whatever) but most turns I used everything.

kingspud wrote:
2. Did you ever feel pressured in the game that time was running out and the bomb might blow up on you?
It took a few turns to make a plan but by the time I had 10 minutes I knew what I had to do. It was just a matter of waiting for the right cards and tiles to come up (and a few plan modifications on the fly)

kingspud wrote:
3. I think the card count you used was definitely too much but even so, did you feel the cards you needed were coming up too fast or too easy?
Maybe. I usually didn't have to wait too long to get the cards I needed. One turn I got two swap cards and three rotate cards in the same hand. I made a lot of progress that turn. Other turns I had to be much more creative.

kingspud wrote:
4. If I can fix these issues and create a 40% to 50% win ratio, would you still find the game very playable, challenging and fun?
I think so. That win ratio sounds good. It can be a brain burner so it's not a super fast game so you probably want a moderately high win ratio since people aren't going to play this multiple times in a night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give it another go and try with the new card totals below then let me know if you beat the timer again!!!

I think I will remove 8 of the rotate cards and cut down all the hand cards to 6 a piece for a total of:

-----------------------------------------
[6] – Vertical Swap 1 space
[6] – Vertical Swap 2 space
[6] – Vertical Swap 3 space
[6] – Horizontal Swap 1 space
[6] – Horizontal Swap 2 space
[6] – Horizontal Swap 3 space
[8] – 360 rotate
[6] – Tile Swap
[6] – Tile replacement
---------------------------
[56] – Rewire Operational cards total

As for the tiles, I will cut those down to around 90 to 100!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Let us know when the new tile sheets are done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the new ROBOT game board!!!

Thanks Chris for the cool idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the new game theme:

You’re a Robotics repair expert working for a robot toy factory who’s been called in to rewire the CEO's personal robot found wondering the halls. You begin to examine the robot when suddenly the robots "self destruct" countdown timer starts to countdown from 16 minutes and your heart rate just went into overdrive. Upon further inspection you notice the Robot is controlled by an encrypted code sequencer and you need to figure out how to connect your Code Analyzer to the Robot’s timer. Your new high-tech Code Analyzer is used to bypass the Robot's timer and prevent the robot from destroying is massive program! To do this you must figure out the wiring sequence from the mass of wires in front of you and rewiring the robot to include your code analyzer, which will eliminate the timer and allow you to over-right the Robot's "self destruct" timer! You have less than 16 minutes to figure out the wiring sequence and connect your Code Analyzer. If you can figure out this circuit and connect each of the four individual wires from the robot's timer to your code analyzer, you will safely stop the timer and eventually defuse the Robot's "self destruct" timer; saving your job as well as the bosses robot! Countdown to disaster begins…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |