Popular Tags: [View All]
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with 6 tonight and the rules state give everyone a gold and 5 silver. There's not enough silver to go around with 6 players. Also about 2/3 of the way into the game we ran out of money. Is it a limiting factor? It seems there should have been more money provided. As it is, it's way short of what's needed with 6 players.

Also, with 6 players there were many ties for the most cubes when the Vizier was used. Allowing all players tied to get 5 gold (or 3 gold for second) really hurts those that didn't get anything and seemed to upset the game balance. I think it would have been much better if the tie rule was like the endgame scoring where if two or more are tied for the most, nobody gets the money. Either that or add the first and second place amount (8 silver) and divide that among all the players tied for first, with nothing going to 2nd place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
Walt Mulder wrote:
We played with 6 tonight and the rules state give everyone a gold and 5 silver. There's not enough silver to go around with 6 players. Also about 2/3 of the way into the game we ran out of money. Is it a limiting factor? It seems there should have been more money provided. As it is, it's way short of what's needed with 6 players.

Yes, there's not enough money in the game, and even with 5 players it's sometimes a problem. My house rule is now that Gold are worth 10 silver and not 5 when playing with 5 or 6, but a few silver more could also have helped. If the game sells and is reprinted, I'll ask Zev to add five or six silver and three or four gold coins in the box.

Walt Mulder wrote:
Also, with 6 players there were many ties for the most cubes when the Vizier was used. Allowing all players tied to get 5 gold (or 3 gold for second) really hurts those that didn't get anything and seemed to upset the game balance. I think it would have been much better if the tie rule was like the endgame scoring where if two or more are tied for the most, nobody gets the money. Either that or add the first and second place amount (8 silver) and divide that among all the players tied for first, with nothing going to 2nd place.

This is the usual problem with a "3-6 players" game, we have to settle on a rule to make things simple, even when it could have been better to have one for fewer players and one for more. So, if you think it's better to have tied players down to lower rank with 5 or 6 players, and you're probably right, go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruno, thanks for the honest reply. I think what I'll do in the future is use the large orange player turn tokens as 10 gold pieces and find something else to use to track who has taken their turn. That should solve the problem.

Also with the Vizier, I'll take your advice and just set a firm rule on how it is handled prior to the start of the game. I'll also track what colors have been used on paper to allow the extra cubes to stay in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Slater
United Kingdom
Newport
Newport, South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also If many people write to Z-Man Games and ask nicely for some extra money tokens, they may oblige by sending you some, and if enough people get in touch, they may make more tokens available via the website or something similar. Doesnt hurt to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the game this afternoon and it hit the table tonight. We played twice, once with 5 players and another time with 3.

In both games we ran out of money.

Since, as was mentioned, there is not enough money included to handle the setup for the maximum recommended number of players, this seems like a fairly obvious problem.

In a crowded market where there are plenty of options for high quality games that don't have shortcomings of this type, it is not a good situation.

I enjoyed the game, especially with 3 players, but if I was checking reviews for a buying decision and it came down to Silk Road or another excellent game that had enough components to play the game as described in the rules, this is the sort of thing that would sway my decision towards the alternative.

Sure, the game is playable without enough money. However, why should someone have to go through a workaround (particularly for a $50 game) when they can pick up a game that will give at least as much enjoyment without having to deal with the issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I haven't actually played the game yet, but as I read the rules the thought struck me that the 5 "turn tokens" seem unnecessary: the rules could have been written to say that players leave the action tile in front of themselves to indicate that they've already acted this turn, so cannot be given the caravan leader pawn.

The 5 spare "turn tokens" could then serve as additional money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveK2 wrote:
I haven't actually played the game yet, but as I read the rules the thought struck me that the 5 "turn tokens" seem unnecessary: the rules could have been written to say that players leave the action tile in front of themselves to indicate that they've already acted this turn, so cannot be given the caravan leader pawn.

A player could have tokens (barterer, crook) from prior turns in front of them and this could be confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Ah yes ... I would probably have realised this had I actually played the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Since it's an apparent problem I think we'll just use our poker 18xx chips, and not worry about the money running out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Slater
United Kingdom
Newport
Newport, South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer wrote:
SteveK2 wrote:

A player could have tokens (barterer, crook) from prior turns in front of them and this could be confusing.

The Crook and Barterer tokens should be kept hidden behind the players screen with the cash and goods, and any action counters taken, would be kept in front of the player screen, visible to all.

Walt Mulder wrote:
Bruno, thanks for the honest reply. I think what I'll do in the future is use the large orange player turn tokens as 10 gold pieces and find something else to use to track who has taken their turn. That should solve the problem.

Also with the Vizier, I'll take your advice and just set a firm rule on how it is handled prior to the start of the game. I'll also track what colors have been used on paper to allow the extra cubes to stay in the game.

We were using the Orange tokens as 5 Gold each

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.