Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Philibin
United States
Buffalo and Syracuse (long story)
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, A few years ago I bought a couple of games while shopping in the Amish community in the Southern Tier of New York.

Most of the games were either very self-explanatory, or were games I have played already.

This one game had no instructions and I have never seen it before... Here is a picture:

Does anyone know if this game has a name? And if there are any instructions online how to play it?

Here is how we play it.

We put all the balls in the center of the disc and spin the top. Whatever balls move into a hole and stay there we count as the point indicated. If it is the black ball, we double the point value.

We total up the points after about 10 turns each and see who won.

I'm not sure these are the "official" rules, but I never asked and couldn't imagine any other way to play it.

Thanks,
-Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I added this to my geeklist:
Stump the Chumps@BGG!

itemlink:
[listitem=3640327][/listitem]

-------

I'd guess that this is a "folkgame" and has many different names and rule variations. I'd bet there is a similar game in BGG now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Wasserman
United States
Somewhere
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a spinning top game. Do a BGG search on Families, Spinning Top Games. Here's a link:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/17763/spinning-top-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrocWrestler wrote:
This is a spinning top game. Do a BGG search on Families, Spinning Top Games. Here's a link:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/17763/spinning-top-...

SUPER FANTASTIC!!

Thanks to the pointer for a family of games of this type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know this game, but I do know another game like this. There was only 1 rule different: if you fill all holes, you get x bonus points(don't know how much anymore).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game looks very similar to German Roulette.
More infos and rules on this site:
http://gamesofroulette.com/bauernroulette.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Mauro
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
This looks very similar to a game my grandmother had. You played it much like you described, from what I can remember, with each ball counting as the point value in the hole. I wish I could recall what she called the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Philibin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
Stump the Chumps@BGG!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Philibin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
konsum24 wrote:

That would make sense... I think the Amish are descendents of early German Americans.

-Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Philibin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lmau wrote:
This looks very similar to a game my grandmother had. You played it much like you described, from what I can remember, with each ball counting as the point value in the hole. I wish I could recall what she called the game.

Thanks, I agree with most of the replies here... It is probably a "folk" game with many different names, and probably began somewhere in or near Germany.

The game is fun, and good for improving basic math skills. Also, my version is crafted well since it is hand-made.

Memories of my Grandmother include watching her play "gin rummy" at the kitchen table with my Grandfather. I think card games were a big part of her life... maybe that is where I get my love of games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philibin wrote:
konsum24 wrote:

That would make sense... I think the Amish are descendents of early German Americans.

-Bill

Interestingly I can understand Pennsylvania Dutch quite good. It sounds very similar to the german dialect I speak (Palatine German). :-)

Btw: The game is also known as:
Bauernroulette (literally peasants or farmer roulette).
Alpen Roulette (literally alps roulette).
or Tiroler Roulette (literally tyrolean roulette).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philibin wrote:
herace wrote:
Stump the Chumps@BGG!

Thanks!

I'm going to delete this from my geeklist of unsolved inquiries. Doubt that we'll ever come up with the "right" name for folkcraft game like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.