Subject: Newb Question on Laying a Foundation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
Page 9 of the I.V. edition (Laying a Foundation) says "You may not lay an order card as a foundation if either: 1) there is no site of matching material left; or 2) you already have a foundation or structure of the same name in play."

My question is about #2 and the words 'in play' with regard to a foundation. Let's use examples ... can I start two different buildings (different types of buildings) that both use Brick as a foundation? The answer appears to be No. What if I already have a completed building that has a brick foundation. Can I start a different building with a brick foundation? The answer again appears to be No.

The rule appears to be that I can only build one building per game using each material type.

Correct or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have interpreted the restriction incorrectly.

You may only build one of a building that has the same name. So for instance, you may only build one Catacomb. However, you can build as many differently named stonefoundation buildings as there are foundations stone sites available.

I hope this helps clear it up.

Alex

Edited to clarify misleading language regarding foundations and sites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But you cannot START/ be in the process of building two different Brick buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, an Order card is a foundation, not a Site card.

The first sentence of that paragraph explains it (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Perform one Architect or Craftsman action to place an Order card from your hand in front of you - it is the foundation of the structure you are starting.

Also note that e.g. the Site card for Brick says:

Quote:
Foundation + 2 Materials

Thus essentially, you cannot build the same structure multiple times, nor can you start building the same structure again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
Ah, that makes sense, R.

#2 is telling us that we cannot build or even start to build the same building twice. Simple as that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, also note that someone's Prison may allow you to start building a duplicate as you no longer have the original building (the Prison having stolen it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
But you cannot START/ be in the process of building two different Brick buildings.

I do not think that this is correct. You can be in the process of building two different buildings that use the same site material (e.g., brick), as long as the two buildings have different names.

For example, you could not build/be in the process of building two Atrium foundations, but you could build an Atrium and a Bath at the same time.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My bad, guess I have been playing it wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.