Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
83 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP ]Stranded No More: The Mutiny [2015 Solitaire Contest - Components Ready] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
mbmbmbmbmb
After having so much fun crafting Stranded No More for last year's contest, I decided to do a prequel to the game that leads up to the reason why Captain Oscar Locke was stranded on the island in the first place. With that I give you my entry into the 2015 Solitaire Print and Play Contest:

The prequel to Stranded No More, SNM: The Mutiny, is a solitaire game where you lead a crew through a series of missions as Captain Oscar Locke. Years of “poor treatment” has caused the rumblings of a mutiny among the crew aboard The Scream of Atlantis. There is no agreement of who should usurp the Captain but some pirates are angrier than others. As the Captain, you’ll need to balance the anger each of your crew members has while also keeping the mutiny meter below the combustion line. If you can successfully complete all of the missions while keeping your crew happy, you will avoid a mutiny and won’t get stranded.

Components
Tracking Sheet
Mission Sheet
Crew Cards (10)
Mission Cards (54)
Six Sided Dice (Not Included)(6)
Cubes (Not Included)(~20)
Tokens (Not Included) (25) - (4) 100’s (1) 50 (5) 10’s (5) 5’s (10) 1’s

Gameplay Time
30 - 60 Minutes

Files
Rules Updated 06/16/2015
Cards and Sheets Updated 04/14/2015

Categories to be entered into:
Best Medium Sized Game
Best Thematic Game
Best Written Rules
Best Hotel Game
Most Innovative Mechanic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP ]Stranded No More: The Mutiny [2015 Solitaire Contest]
Reserved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cant help but love a new pirate game!
Subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
If you win the game with no mutiny, does the first game cease to exist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
If you win the game with no mutiny, does the first game cease to exist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good! I didn't get to check out any of last years entries but can't help but feel I'll need to play Stranded No More as well as its prequel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janine Viglietti
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
subscribed.
Really excited to see how this develops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP ]Stranded No More: The Mutiny [2015 Solitaire Contest - Idea Phase]
I'm debating on whether or not to create custom dice for my entry so I'd like to do a poll to gauge what people like. But first I'll need to explain how the dice faces are used.

There are 9 crew members: 6 with a single different ability, 1 with the option of the "odd" abilities, 1 with the option of the "even" abilities, and 1 with the option of any ability. Each mission lists a certain number of abilities needed to complete it. As the player you can select from your crew members to fill some of the abilities needed. So the question is:

Poll
Which symbols would you like to see on the dice?
Numbers (1-6)
Custom images
Other (Please explain)
      25 answers
Poll created by disom

I'm leaning towards using the numbers as is because making 6 custom dice seems like a pain from a PnP standpoint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted for custom images because I think custom dice are nice, even simple graphics are cool. I can see that using standard dice might make the game more accessible but you will need some kind if reference card with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Germflinger wrote:
I voted for custom images because I think custom dice are nice, even simple graphics are cool. I can see that using standard dice might make the game more accessible but you will need some kind if reference card with it.

I understand your standpoint. If I go with the numbers, I would just use them on the mission cards so there wouldn't be a need for a reference card. I want the game to be as accessible as possible so I could create a player card that converts the symbols to the numbered die face for those who don't want to make the dice but still want to play the game. It'd be more work on the player's part though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its clear then that you need to go with a standard die if the mission cards are going to have a number referenced on them. I agree that keeping it as accessible as possible is the best approach, keep the conversions minimal or don't use any at all. In hindsight I would have voted for the standard D6.

Edit: just changed my vote
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schröder

Wien
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
just a quick thought:

what about symbols that are derived from the 6 numberpatterns on a die? like drawing by numbers. could be some kind of seafarer´s tattoo..
then it would be easy to draw the symbols onto a existing die, in case anybody wanted to have custom dice.

but the longer i type: just plain dice is probably the best..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schroederjan wrote:
just a quick thought:

what about symbols that are derived from the 6 numberpatterns on a die? like drawing by numbers. could be some kind of seafarer´s tattoo..
then it would be easy to draw the symbols onto a existing die, in case anybody wanted to have custom dice.

but the longer i type: just plain dice is probably the best..

If you really want to go for themed symbols I think the best option would be to come up with icons that incorporate the dots in a D6 for the cards and such, but let people use regular dice.

I never tried modifying dice I own because it feels like it could change the balance, and I wouldnºt expect every player to own those cool blank prototype dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what the two sheets used to play the game look like right now. I'm working on the cards next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's looking good! I'm working on a really basic look to start with because my design keeps changing!

Nick Clegg doesn't really strike me as the pirate sort though lol being a British politician and all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelzky wrote:
It's looking good! I'm working on a really basic look to start with because my design keeps changing!

Nick Clegg doesn't really strike me as the pirate sort though lol being a British politician and all...

Thanks for checking in! I've never heard of Nick Clegg the politician. I just ran a pirate name generator and pulled various first and last names from that and paired them together. I'll look at changing that soon. Thanks for the catch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it funny to be honest Pirate name generators are fun!

If you were interested he's the leader of a political party that is in a coalition government with David Cameron's party. So Nick Clegg is the Deputy Prime Minister and that's as far as my political knowledge goes haha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so this game has been on the back burner for a while but I found some time this weekend to work on the tracking sheet, mission sheet, pirate cards and a base set of rules. The rules file is now in the OP. I've got to work on the 54 cards that make up the mission deck next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful! This is going to look great when finished!
Great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janine Viglietti
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the look of those cards!
Side note: I like the burn-y look on the original mission sheet. You thinking about keeping that look?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thevig wrote:
Love the look of those cards!
Side note: I like the burn-y look on the original mission sheet. You thinking about keeping that look?

I'll see what I can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the mission cards were almost done today but then something happened....

I was working on page 5 of 6 of the mission cards when an error comes up while I'm working on the ninth card. The program won't let me click anywhere to save so I click okay and the program crashes. I quickly open the file back up and yep...nothing saved. It's my own fault really since I'm always getting on people about saving every time they stop for a second. I got so frustrated that I closed out and haven't opened it back up since. So I'm two pages away from being "done" with the cards but I'm too angry to finish them today.

Expect a components ready version of the game tomorrow...if the same thing doesn't happen again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's taken a little over 3 straight hours of work but I've completed the cards and the rules. The majority of the time was writing the rules and going over them multiple times to make sure they read well. I'm really trying to work on my rules writing so I'm hoping this set reflects that. The files needed to play are in the OP. I'm going to go post in the contest thread that this game is now components ready.

On a side note, getting the game to its current state is a HUGE weight off of my shoulders. It'll allow me to focus more on other projects and it at least gives me to have something to submit when the deadline comes. I know I won't have time come June when our daughter, Grace, gets a little brother named Ben.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
disom wrote:
So it's taken a little over 3 straight hours of work but I've completed the cards and the rules. The majority of the time was writing the rules and going over them multiple times to make sure they read well. I'm really trying to work on my rules writing so I'm hoping this set reflects that. The files needed to play are in the OP. I'm going to go post in the contest thread that this game is now components ready.

On a side note, getting the game to its current state is a HUGE weight off of my shoulders. It'll allow me to focus more on other projects and it at least gives me to have something to submit when the deadline comes. I know I won't have time come June when our daughter, Grace, gets a little brother named Ben.

Great news on both accounts! Congratulations!

Looking forward to playing this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In a hole in the ground there lived a
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
disom wrote:

Great news! And Ben is a great name (my son)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.