Jeremiah Reynolds
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good day all:

I recently acquired a mildly expanded copy of this game. It included the Gollum and Carrock decks. My wife and I played the Mirkwood quest to get our heads around the game play.

Firstly, it felt really mechanical, but that will certainly go away after the mechanics start to become more natural (for my wife, I play a lot more games than she does). I can absolutely see this game actually feeling like a quest once things start to heat up.

After I got the mildly expanded copy, my Secret Santa got me a new copy of the game. Then I traded away two of my doubles and got two new core sets, two expansions and 14 adventure packs.

Whew!

So the base set is pretty straight forward as far as your first game is concerned: pick a mono-color deck and play the Mirkwood quest. Easy Peasy. The typical progression would be to add the first adventure pack and play, add the second adventure pack and play and so on. Now I'm sitting on over 1500 cards and am kind of at a loss on how to move forward.

I think a good first move is to separate the encounter cards by type so that building the encounter decks is easy when setting up the quest.

Should I separate the player cards by sphere, then by card type? Should I keep them in a box? A binder?

I don't want this to come off as one of those "I have $100, tell me what I should do with it" posts. I am looking for examples on how you all get your massive card sets all set up.

Do you change up your decks for a quest, or do you typically just play one style?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emoboy44 wrote:
I think a good first move is to separate the encounter cards by type so that building the encounter decks is easy when setting up the quest.

Yes!

Quote:
Should I separate the player cards by sphere, then by card type? Should I keep them in a box? A binder?

By sphere most certainly. By type (event, ally, equipment, etc...) depends on you and your level of organization.

First thing you need to do is to invert the core game single channel insert. Inverted it now has two channels - you've doubled your card capacity. Some people cut a lid into the center of that inverted insert to create storage for tokens and threat counters. Some people have made/bought inserts for the core game box. Some like me have Hobby Lobby artist cases with a insert. Some people keep their sphere cards in a separate binder (like Magic: the Gathering).

I started out sleeving everything, encounter cards as well as sphere. Now I realize there are so many old quests (and their encounter decks) I rarely go back to, for me it doesn't make sense to keep them sleeved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going to be dividing them up I think most people end up using GeckoTH's LOTR Dividers: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/76256/geckoths-lotr-divide...

If you have some 110lb cardstock and a home printer they work great! To take it one step further you could pick up a laminator or laminating sheets too.

It all depends on what you're willing to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eckes
United States
Bloomington
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually folded my insert into a three-channel divider. If you rip off the flaps and fold the insert in a different way you can make it so you've got a left, center and right channel to hold cards.

Until recently, this held all of my Encounter and Player cards, but I've since moved to a binder for player cards and the box for encounter cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve_D wrote:
If you're going to be dividing them up I think most people end up using GeckoTH's LOTR Dividers: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/76256/geckoths-lotr-divide...

If you have some 110lb cardstock and a home printer they work great! To take it one step further you could pick up a laminator or laminating sheets too.

It all depends on what you're willing to do.

This is exact what I did. It took some work to cut them out, but once done it is so helpful to have all the cards neatly organized in the box. I started with two rows, but have purchased so many expansions I had to move to 3. With three I can fit pretty much the entire game at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.