Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is intended to be a survival game in a palaeolithic northern/Scandinavian environment.
You must survive an entire season (or longer if wished!) Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter. In order of difficulty it will be Summer (benign), Autumn (gets colder and harsher), Spring (starts out harsh but gets milder), and Winter (oh dear ... so bad).

This will be card-driven with:
1. Weather Decks: approx 65 cards, cards being a mix of seasons + events, but effectively 28 per season, of which 12 are randomly dealt into a game weather deck (so 1 per week of the game). This also gives a 12 round game.
example:

The weather has an effect of food requirements, and how easy or difficult it is to hunt trap and forage for food and materials.
2. Event deck: Events that may affect that round (cold snaps, disasters, good things.....). A number are selected and shuffled into the Weather deck.
3. Exploration Deck. One of the actions will to be explore, a card is selected, and the character moves onto the new card. This defines available food and forage availability.

These cards for the 'map' of known territory, and are laid out orthogonally.
4. Another action is to hunt:
This is in two parts, track and kill
Tracking is based on your characters ability (so a character has a set of abilities which improve or even decrease when failures are frequent!)
Tracking is also based on animal availability (set by the current territory). when an animal is successfully tracked an Animal card is turned over:
5. Animal Deck
There will be about 35 animal types, large medium and small.

successfully killing the animal yields resources (food, bones, skins; which can be made into clothes, leather strips etc). There is a risk of injury, affecting health and your ability scores.
6. Make Deck
To survive you are going to have to construct things. You will start out with a knife, but will need axes, spades, hide scrapers, spears, fires, etc. There will be about 35 of these cards

Each round you will draw 3 cards from this deck and select 1, discard 2. This might be harsh though.... You keep all retained cards throughout the game, and these define the things you can make/build. Each card will specify the pre-requisites and the resources needed + the effects of the resulting object.
Other actions will be to Forage (get some resources such as wood, food, objects.....), Trap (place snares, dig pits etc, or even go Fishing (so would need to have built a fishing line+hook).
At the moment I am not sure how best to deal with foraging, fishing and trapping.
7. Objectives deck
I think the game needs something more than just surviving, so at the moment have an objectives deck. At the moment I can only think of about 10. At the start of the game wou would draw an objective, and this is what you must achieve (as well as survive!)

Each round therefore consists of:
1. Draw weather card. If an event is drawn, deal with the event, then draw another weather card
2. Carry out 3 actions, adjusting any skills/abilities on success or failure
3. Survive the night (food, events?)

repeat until end of weather deck!

win = survive and objective met.
fail = death or objective not met
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Monteforte
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if this is rude or not, so i apologize if this is a breach of etiquette.

With an extremely high quality game such as Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island that handles weather, and tools and a few other similar things to the title you are proposing, how do you intend to stand out from the competition?

the games seem similar (not the same), just in a different locale.

what makes surviving Scandinavia more unique than a cursed island?

another great survival reference source would be Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game. because not much feels like scraping anything together in effort to survive a harsh environment such as that.

Hopefully the constructive criticism is posted as well on the forum as clear as what i am trying to say is in my head. As i would love to see some more awesome survival board games, same as they have videogames (such as minecraft, and don't starve)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel depressed now ...

I have played Robinson Crusoe, but felt that there was an itch that it did not quite scratch somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Monteforte
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not feel depressed, feel encouraged.

If a game does not scratch a certain itch it means that there is room for variation.

What you need to do is find what you felt is lacking. Was it the intensity? the difficulty? combat (or lack thereof)? or perhaps the theme just wasn't quite right.

You can do survival, the genre is far from flooded. The potential is there, and games are so versatile in how it can be done.

If you really plan on entering the world of design, you have to know your competition, and fill that void they leave behind. this is how games progress, and evolve into bigger and better things. Or in some cases more streamlined and easy to introduce things.

Perhaps Cursed island is too much, and you want something more accessible. The only problem is, you're the only one who has that information, not us. Fret not, and don't trouble yourself with the big questions first. Start with the little ones, and never forget the basics.

The problem your having can be solved simply by playing robinson crusoe more, and then feeling what you want to do different, or how you feel it could be better.

I wish you luck don't give up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.