United States
Laurel Springs
NJ
flag msg tools
Last Great Read
badge
Last Great Read
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife, my son, and I finally got a chance, last night, to play our first game of Shadows over Camelot. I had read the rules previously, but the first few turns of the game still went slowly as I explained them to the others. My son caught on quickly, but my wife had a bit of trouble understanding what it was all about, partially because her interest in this game’s theme just wasn’t there. We played without the traitor (due both to the number of players and the fact that it was our first play), but I kept plugging the traitor throughout the game so that they would understand the role better when introduced in the future.

The game picked up speed once everyone understood the rules. Turns went quickly now with only the occasional rules check. At this point my son was really into it, and my wife looked as if the pain, if not gone completely, had at least receded a bit. We were able to complete enough quests to earn 7 white swords and victory seemed in our reach.

Alas, it was not meant to be, however. Our earlier choices proved to be our undoing later in the game: By completing the Grail quest and the Lady of the Lake quest early, progression of evil cards pertaining to those quests began adding siege engines faster than we could remove them. We were actually hoping, at this point, to lose a quest or two so that enough swords would be added to the Round Table to end the game (remember, we already had our seven whites needed to win). But every time we hoped to pull a Black Night, or Dragon card, we ended up pulling a Despair card and adding a siege engine. Our heroic Knights finally perished as, down to their last life points and with no white fight cards left, the final siege engine was added to the fields around Camelot.

After the game, we all agreed that this one was a winner: The game offered plenty of challenges to keep our group busy running from one quest to another, creating a sense of urgency that kept the game flowing nicely. In hindsight, strategic choices pertaining to the order in which quests should be completed became apparent. And finally, the theme was great. After all, who wouldn’t jump at the chance to battle the forces of evil as a knight of the Round Table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.