Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sylvain Gauthier
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
....I really hope they are gonna find another way to "evolve" the board then stickers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmb
Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Petersen
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stickers are too sticky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ryan
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scratch 'n' Sniff Tuberculosis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not stuck on the method being stickers (see what I did there?) BUT I defintely do want whatever the method is to be permanent. I think the permanence of change is one of the big draws to a Legacy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Soth
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm halfway through risk legacy with 2 other friends and we are having a blast making our own unique version of the game. We love pandemic as well so we can't wait for this.

Regardless of whether they use stickers or not there's bound to be some way that will make each person's pandemic legacy unique. Otherwise you might as well keep playing the regular version.

What I look most forward to is seeing decisions from game 1 possibly coming back with dramatic effects in later games. Also we will curse more when we are about to win a game as long as we don't draw "that card" and of course draw that card to lose the game. It will mean so much more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Gauthier
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jfbgg wrote:
What I look most forward to is seeing decisions from game 1 possibly coming back with dramatic effects in later games. Also we will curse more when we are about to win a game as long as we don't draw "that card" and of course draw that card to lose the game. It will mean so much more.

That's is exactly what I'm looking for.

Although, my problem with stickers is the following...it's permanent.

Here's my concern: if I start a game with someone, we will eventually "evolve" the board...then if another friend join us the following week, he's gonna have to jump in where we left, meaning he won't feel as involved as the players from the previous games.

And eventually, we're gonna run out of events, so if we wanna re-start the adventure, we will need the original board.
So how we do that with all the stickers ?

There must be a way to make it more efficient like switchable snap in event-puzzle-pieces or something like that.

Matt Leacock & Rob Daviau have innovated the world of board gaming as we know it today.
I'm sure they can find a better alternative for stickers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ryan
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is something really beautiful and thrilling about making permanent changes to the physical state of the game components. Tearing up cards, adding stickers to cards and the board, marking on the board with sharpie, unlocking packs of new components and rules...it's awesome. It heightens the moment of decision, which is what games are all about, right? Making interesting decisions.

You know in that moment that you are about to change the course of not only the current game but also every game that will ever be played with that copy. You have to weigh the strategic value for you in that moment vs. possible consequences to you in all future games. In Risk Legacy, this was accomplished through the fact that many changes you made could later be used against you by other players in future games. In Pandemic, I imagine they will work to achieve a similar effect by having you make decisions that trade off some kind of immediate in-game benefit for a cost that will make future plays more complicated. Fantastic.

I will gladly trade infinite replayability for a finite number of heightened decision making moments of this kind. And you just can't achieve that effect without the decisions having physical permanence in the game. I am so ready to destroy my copy of the world. YES!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Gauthier
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
williamj35 wrote:
There is something really beautiful and thrilling about making permanent changes to the physical state of the game components. Tearing up cards, adding stickers to cards and the board, marking on the board with sharpie, unlocking packs of new components and rules...it's awesome. It heightens the moment of decision, which is what games are all about, right? Making interesting decisions.

I totally agree with that but what I mean is that you can't play with different groups with only one copy of the game.

With switchable pieces, all you have to do is take a pic with your phone and you're all set.

Personally, I won't change the pieces because the previous decisions gives us a hard time, living with the consequences of our decisions from game to game.

But on the other hand, if some people wanna do so....why not....they paid for the game after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess stickers being put on boards should be a new mechanic. Pandemic has officially jumped the shark. What's next, Pandemic the dice game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ryan
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warpig72 wrote:
what I mean is that you can't play with different groups with only one copy of the game.

I agree that it is optimal to play with the same group of players all the way through the experience of a single copy. And it's not always easy to find a group that is going to commit to see the whole thing through. But I think the game might work out okay with a somewhat mixed group of players.

When we played through Risk: Legacy, we had a core of three players who were committed to being there every session, and we had a small group of players who came and went to fill the remaining seats. It seemed to work alright for us.

Those of us who played every time got to see the whole board evolve and the whole story unfold. Those that came and went didn't have as strong of an experience with the game, but then they weren't quite as invested in it either.

I think some of them actually enjoyed coming back to the game a few weeks later and going "Woah! What happened?" And those of us who saw it all go down had plenty of stories to tell them.

I do like your idea for a replayable, modular, quasi-legacy system. I think it would lend itself to interesting campaign situations that could be rebooted. (In fact...that's probably a great way to do a time travel game...something like Tragedy Looper's loop reset, only much more involved and reseting only after several plays...hmmm...maybe with a mix of permanent and non-permanent changes?) It's a great idea. (And I just might steal it. ) But it's just not the same as Legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Warpig72 wrote:
williamj35 wrote:

I totally agree with that but what I mean is that you can't play with different groups with only one copy of the game.

With switchable pieces, all you have to do is take a pic with your phone and you're all set.

Personally, I won't change the pieces because the previous decisions gives us a hard time, living with the consequences of our decisions from game to game.

But on the other hand, if some people wanna do so....why not....they paid for the game after all.

It's psychological - there are upsides though. Risk Legacy did work with some changes to the groups (though you're right, new people would be less invested) but on the other hand, the game does play better with the same group from game-to-game. And the permanence actually makes it a lot easier to get that same group together, as no-one wants to miss out on something potentially big.

The other thing is, if you want to keep a separate copy for each group, you can always buy extra copies. Yes, that's costly, but bear with me a second. If you're like me and buy 90% of the games for your group, the idea of buying three copies is horrendously expensive, and frankly, stupid. But. If you're doing that so each game is played only by that one group, it won't get played by anyone else, then it's essentially of no value to you after you're done with it. It's much easier in that case to say to the group "hey, let's put in $10 each for this". That very permanence, that sense of joined ownership of a copy, that you're all making permanent changes to the board - you'll find that a group that would never normally go in on a group-buy would be more than willing in those cases.

If you do it that way, then you can essentially play with five separate groups for the cost of buying one copy on your own. It just needs a certain paradigm change in how you approach gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
I guess stickers being put on boards should be a new mechanic. Pandemic has officially jumped the shark. What's next, Pandemic the dice game?

Not sure if serious...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warpig72 wrote:

Although, my problem with stickers is the following...it's permanent.

I don't care if they use stickers or something similar to a scratchcard (not sure if that's the right translation, I mean this things that are kind of lottery tickets - which I think would be pretty cool), but if it's not permanent I would be actually kind of disappointed, because that's pretty much what it's about.

If I want non-permanent Pandmemic, I play Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Hobby
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
We are almost done with Risk Legacy and our house rule has already been determined for the future with non-starting players.
After you select your faction look at the back of it. The person who used that faction the most in the past is your 'ancestor' and you are now their heir to empire with all the benefits conferred on starting points, land mass bonuses, etc. In the event of a tie with another player's card the faction the 'ancestor' won the most with is the true heir (of course in the event of a challenge to the 'throne' we could also just let BOTH players get the benefits which would create chaos for those two players, but a great backstory).
Perhaps something similar will be possible in this version of Pandemic or since everyone is trying to save the earth you're just a new CDC member.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mb
We'll call the new role... "intern".

And they get a sticker.

It says, "Hello, my name is..."

They can write on it as training for how to write on stickers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think they will keep the same losing conditions?

Imagine being in Month 3 of the campaign and through bad luck/skill whatever, your outbreak marker reaches the skull. Is that a loss as in you're done forever? Would I be able to go back and try month 3 again? I am having a hard time wrapping my head around how everything is going to work. I also have never played any campaign games, so I don't know how they work.

Maybe all the permanent changes will occur in between games. like Pass month one but you neglected Santiago which has 3 cubes, now Santiago is untouchable, tear up the Santiago player card, but leave the cubes and the infection card. an outbreak in a connected city will still cause an outbreak in Santiago, and maybe the only way to remove cubes from Santiago would be an event card or special ability

I really like pandemic, and I am intrigued by the legacy aspect of it, but permanently changing the board/pieces scares me. I guess that's the point...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We obviously can't say for certain without having seen the rules, but if it works like most campaign games (Risk Legacy, Descent) a loss in one session does not necessarily mean a loss for the entire campaign, but it does have some effect on the bigger picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smullens
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
Warpig72 wrote:
williamj35 wrote:

The game they paid for has permanent changes; If they want to houserule something that is fine and understandable - but I don't see the need for components being provided for houserules that take away from the draw/point of the designed game. I'm sure Risk legacy players have figured out a way to apply the similar houserule, but printing out less sticky stickers or a printed board or something. I just don't think it should be expected for the company to provide houserule components
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.