Popular Tags: [View All]
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy is a game about advancing your family's prestige by having children, marrying them off to influential friends, and slowly climbing the French social ladder.

Components

The player and main boards are nice and thick. Each action space is clearly marked with an image and text so it is easy to understand what each does. The cards are a little on the thin side and will get handled a lot so I recommend sleeving them. The rulebook is excellent. There are clear examples with illustrations that explain how the game is played and includes a special section on some of the more complex friend cards. The art is very well done and goes well with the theme of the game.

Gameplay

Each player is a matriarch/patriarch of a French family that is trying to improve its social standing. This is done by having children, marrying off your progeny to powerful friends, doing good works, buying mansions, running businesses, and being part of the right social circles. The game is played over three generations with multiple rounds per generation. You get two actions every round, but you can also get additional, limited actions via card play. Since there are so few actions per game and many ways to use those actions, each action is critical.

What do I think?

I love this game. It is part game and part experience. Each time I have played I found that I became emotionally attached to my family members and would make up stories about why my wealthy grandson (the one with the mansion) would marry a lowly craftswoman. Each time I have played this game, everyone around the table would make up similar stories about why someone would marry someone else. There would even be a shocked silence when someone turned over a "Complications at Birth" card. Almost a "I don't know what to say" moment.

Yes, there is some randomness in the game. The friend draws are random, but the children draws can be mitigated by going to the Fertility Doctor space. I think the randomness fits here as who doesn't know a fine, upstanding family with that crazy uncle that no one likes to talk about?

Be warned, this game requires a lot of table space! Make sure you have plenty of room (2x2 foot area per player) or this game will get cramped.

One other thing to note is that there are two solitaire variants. I have played both and I prefer the "Testament" version where you are trying to figure out who your ancestors were. It is a solid solo game and has some intensity as you try to fulfill hints to win. This game is ripe for expansions (more friends cards, more hints for solo play, etc.) and I hope Portal games has one in the works. Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy does not come out every week at my regular meetups, but it gets requested by name about once a month which is pretty solid. I give it a family-sized 8/10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review of a great game! I find myself playing this more than other similar weighted games lately. It has a remarkably high replay value, although I too would love to see more cards released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game too! Thanks for the review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.