Eldritch Horror» Forums » Variants

Subject: Getting ''enemies'' into the board? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Felipe Abarzúa Méndez
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
So, I was thinking that it would be pretty nice to have ''enemy'' investigators on the board -in this case I imagine them being a part of the silver twilight- running around taking your clues and doing some nasty business like advancing doom or stuff. You can of course beat them and maybe something else.

I haven't put a lot of thinking on this but I decided to post the idea to see if any of you would like to do some brainstorming.

Of course no one would play them, they will move and have encounters following some triggers. Also something i'd call ''agendas'' that would tell their mission: like ''collect clues''.

PS. It could also be like a prelude card, so that you have to setup them like you setup the antarctica board. That way, when you kill a guy or something, you get to retreat doom and, maybe, take his items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaidyn Casey
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jutlannder wrote:
So, I was thinking that it would be pretty nice to have ''enemy'' investigators on the board -in this case I imagine them being a part of the silver twilight- running around taking your clues and doing some nasty business like advancing doom or stuff. You can of course beat them and maybe something else.

I haven't put a lot of thinking on this but I decided to post the idea to see if any of you would like to do some brainstorming.

Of course no one would play them, they will move and have encounters following some triggers.

I like this idea but wow, the game is already pretty tough. I can't imagine how it would be with that included. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
No need for added toughness for me please. Our win/lose ratio is already horrific. Sometimes we don't even get the first mystery completed.

MOM arrived the other day, I can now get frozen to death in addition to being poisoned. Needless to say we didn't win that one either, (no mysteries completed, and that first one appeared so easy to do as well)

I have resisted the temptation to pull the hard cards out of the mythos deck and pick the most suitable investigators to fight the GOO. but it is mightily tempting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jutlannder wrote:

Of course no one would play them, they will move and have encounters following some triggers. Also something i'd call ''agendas'' that would tell their mission: like ''collect clues''.

PS. It could also be like a prelude card, so that you have to setup them like you setup the antarctica board. That way, when you kill a guy or something, you get to retreat doom and, maybe, take his items.

Okay, I'm up for brainstorming. Off the top of my head and completely untested here is what I have come up with...

Prelude Card: The Evil Servant

Draw one investigator card at random before resolving step 3 of the setup. This investigator is actually a servant of the Ancient One, working to help it awaken. Place 1 cultist token under their marker to indicate they are an active Servant of the Ancient One.

After all players have acted in a turn, the Servant then acts. Each turn the Servant is at or below half on both Health and Sanity (rounded down) they rest, otherwise roll 1d6 and consult the following table:

1 - Roll again using the second result. If a 1, then Acquire Artifact: the Servant draws the top artifact card to add.
2 - Acquire: roll 1d6 vs Lore, if equal to or less the Servant gains a random spell; also roll 1d6 vs Influence, if equal to or less the Servant gains the top asset card. The servant may gain both or none in a turn.
3, 4, 5 - Rapid Travel: the Servant gets 1 extra move (see below)
6 - Training: roll 1d6. Improve the corresponding stat (1 = Lore, 2 = Influence, 3 = Observation, 4 = Strength, 5 = Will, 6 = improve the lowest).

A servant then moves 1 (or 2 if a 3, 4, or 5 was rolled) spaces towards the nearest clue token. If there are no clue tokens, the Servant then moves for the gate. If there are no gates either, then they move back to their home space. Each full turn they spend in their home space gives them 1 free Training roll (see 6 in the above chart).

If they are on a location with a player, the player must DUEL the servant after encountering all monsters but before he can encounter the space. A DUEL is a contested combat encounter. Each side rolls a combat test and compares successes, the difference being the damage applied to the loser. (Example: The servant rolls 4 successes, the investigator rolls 2 successes - the investigator loses 2 health.)

After the players resolve their encounters, resolve the Servant's encounter.

If on a space with an undefeated investigator, do nothing.

If on a clue, test Observation. If they succeed, they gain the clue token and the Doom advances 1. (Leave the clue on the Servant card.)

If on a gate, test Will. If they succeed, resolve a Monster Surge at their gate only.

In any other situation, do nothing.

NOTE: A Servant does not roll Lore tests for spells and only gets the base results (no flipping). Also, a Servant is limited to: asset cards equal to his Influence, artifact cards equal to his Will, and spells equal to his Lore. If a Servant is at their limit when they gain another card, discard the least useful one. If all are equally useful, determine the lost card randomly.

-------------------------------------------------------------

However, if you want to see a game with decent enemies on the board, check out Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game for how they handle it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.