Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Davis
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It must have been the medication I’ve been taking, but I decided to play a game of Risk with my daughter and her friend.

The girls were quick learners. They understood the importance of turning card sets in for extra armies. Initially, they worked as a team to beat up the old man who was bent on global domination, but soon things turned. My daughter’s friend was unable to push me out of Central America and she needed a to get a card like a Congressman needing a lobbyist donation. (Hey, this is a session report, not War and Peace.) She looked left at my daughter and pointed out her next attack, “I’m attacking Iceland from Greenland.”

My daughter froze. The unwritten code had been broken. How dare she attack me? From that point, the girls went after each other as if they had never been allies.

I tried to do my best and be the bad guy to draw their attention away from each other. “Girls, I now have South America, Africa, Australia, and a good chuck of Europe.” My comments didn’t work on them. I blame the time of the evening and the lack of sugar in their systems. I looked over at the girls, and they were completely glazed over like zombies. Fearing that they could turn on me and consume the precious contents of my cranium, I asked if they wanted to stop.

They replied, “Brains.”zombie

I took that as a “yes” and called it a night.

What I learned:
Don’t play Risk with young girls.

Let me correct that:
Don’t play Risk with young girls.

Simply,
Don't play Risk.

Stick with Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amen brother. I just had my horrible experience with Risk, too. My wife and I lost our gaming group due to that #*&@g game. Euro games from here on out (unless playing with just the right partner).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Shapiro
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I suspect this is more a problem of the wrong game for the group you were playing with. Given a set of teenage boys I would suggest Risk or Heroscape every time over something like Carcassone or High Society.

In my Thursday night game group we tend to play games with a good deal of confrontation so a game of Carcassone, Cosari or Canyon would be the 'wrong choice'. The group I play with on Sundays would never consider Risk, Tempus, Vinci, etc but will play Canyon, Wizard, Corsari, etc. for hours. I believe you selected the wrong game to play with young girls/wives.

Many in my Thursday group feel that most Euros are a 'one-trick-pony' limited to mechanics and tactics but little opportunity for long term strategies. They view Euros as a social activity versus a competition. (Backyard volleyball versus league play for example.)

It is not the fault of the game but rather the selection of the game for the wrong audience; attempting to make the game something it is not (and was not intended to be).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.