BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Medium weight Euro games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Belgium
-
flag msg tools
Hi,

I'm looking for medium weight games with good player interaction. I've tried carcassonne, ticket to ride, cartagena, istanbul and they're all fine but I'm looking for some more depth without being complex (heavy is definitely not what I'm looking for!). Now I'm considering el grande (reprint), power grid, taj mahal... but have no idea if that's the right choice.

Instead of picking willy nilly, I'd like to have an overview. Is there a logical pathway of collecting euro games, from light to heavy?

Please recommend contemporary games as I'm not looking forward to chasing out of print editions.

PS: I do not like a fantasy theme.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-xXx- wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for medium weight games with good player interaction. I've tried carcassonne, ticket to ride, cartagena, istanbul and they're all fine but I'm looking for some more depth without being complex (heavy is definitely not what I'm looking for!). Now I'm considering el grande (reprint), power grid, taj mahal... but have no idea if that's the right choice.

Instead of picking willy nilly, I'd like to have an overview. Is there a logical pathway of collecting euro games, from light to heavy?

Please recommend contemporary games as I'm not looking forward to chasing out of print editions.

PS: I do not like a fantasy theme.

Thanks

I would say in the progression of weight, it's El Grande, Taj Mahal, then Power Grid. I recommend them all (Taj Mahal is my favorite game).

Taj Mahal has a bidding element using suited cards to create a great balance between card and board play in that it determines how many palaces a player can build and in what order he/she gets to place them. The bidding gets as tense as any game I know of this side of Poker. Palace placement order is a huge consideration as linking regions with one's palace chains can bring in lots of points -- breaking potential chains is a vital tactic.

Power Grid has an auction element (for power plants) combined with market manipulation (for fuel resources) and network building (for pwoer stations) on the game board. The manoney management can be very tight, and among experienced players, the auctions get very strategic. Our group has been playing it nearly every week since the Rio Grande Games edition was first published in the US. There are also many excellent Power Grid expansions, each adding some unique rules or mechanics tailored to the geography on the mapboard, so if you like the PG system, there's a lot to add to the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say there is a standard path to collecting eurogames. It really depends on what games you have found interesting. What mechanics have you enjoyed? What player count? Mid weight euro is a pretty wide open category.

The ones you mentioned are all great games and I think you would be happy with any of them. But, I'll throw out a few more. There's a number of euros that probably should be played if you are looking to collect them.

How about Puerto Rico? It's a classic. Also, there are a few designers that should be checked out. Stefan Feld and Uwe Rosenburg come to mind. Respectively, I would say The Castles of Burgundy and Agricola are ones that should be tried from them. Though he can be hit and miss, Reiner Knizia is another big name, with Tigris & Euphrates being my recommendation for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid
Caylus
Puerto Rico
Ra
El Grande
Agricola
Castles of Burgundy
Rattus

Caylus & El Grande may not be easy to find (I found both pretty quickly)

These are 8 games I am trying to get 10 plays each in on in 2015.
I think all of them are great euro's I won't be letting go of.

Anything in the top 50 on here gets my attention, anything that has held a top 10 spot for years also deserves a good look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Guernsey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried any worker-placement games at all?
If not, then you should definitely try some of the following:
Agricola
Stone Age
Caylus
The Manhattan Project
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All good suggestions above. For light rules with a lot of strategy, may I also recommend Spyrium, which also has the advantage that it i s readily available and relatively inexpensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

El Grande is a must-have when it reprints, and I recommend Alhambra as well. (Both play best with zero expansions added.)

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
All good suggestions above. For light rules with a lot of strategy, may I also recommend Spyrium, which also has the advantage that it i s readily available and relatively inexpensive.

This. For what you get for the money, Spyrium is tough to beat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Often I think the best recommendations are ones that I can make out of my own collection, so:

Rattus
Santiago de Cuba
Mars Needs Mechanics
Castles of Burgundy
Village
Yspahan
Quantum
Kingsburg
Glass Road
Tammany Hall
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid is okay - it can be tense, it's not complex, interaction is what I consider medium (less than carcassonne, mmore than ticket to ride). Best thing about it is that it seems lighter than it is (so it is in the direction you're looking for).

Taj Mahal has some neat pychology so it's a plus, but I find it terribly ugly (ymmv).

Tigris & Euphrates? The game is not complicated at all - it's only different to most games out there, so this frustrates some people in the cult of the new. Very interactive, quite deep. Not difficult to play at all (just to play well...). So depth without being complex - definitely!

Imperial
- Hm, probably more than you can chew. The game is simple to explain, but as it's so so so different to what people are used to, it can take 10-20 games before you move on from being a beginner. graphics pretty terrible, theme is a hard sell, but it's something unique. Best with same group.

Chicago Express - Simpler than Imperial, similar idea - it's a stock market game of shared incentives. Best with 4. It's very simple, but cut throat and interactive in an interesting way.

El Grande - it would work. (I prefer fantasy themed area control games as I think they're better - CitOW for making more thematic sense, and Smallworld for being more intuitive and simpler). Very interactive, very tactical. Not to play with AP prone though (situation can change before your turn comes).

Puerto Rico - is a good euro game of resource engine type. But prone to being scripted and the people who want to play it tend to be the ones who have memorised the script. I prefer its descendant: Race for the Galaxy. Is sci fi ok? The game is hard to learn (because: icons, will be okay after 5-6 plays), but very deep, replayable and with a lot of thinking on the spot. Interaction is low. Glory to Rome is another card based descendant (a bit more chaotic, no fantasy). Having a lot of individual cards does bring some learning curve (getting to know which cards are in the game).

I'd say Power Grid (new anniversary editions looks better, didn't check the rules changes) or Tigris and Euphrates. If you play with the same people T&E, if not then Power Grid. Worker placements tend to be less interactive - Agricola is fine, just not sure if you'd like it (it thematic, is tense - but more against the game than against opponents).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Several of the games suggested are good games but I wouldn't call them very interactive.

Several of the old Knizia classics as mentioned are, e.g. Tigris & Euphrates, Samurai and of course any of his bidding games - any bidding game actually. Same goes for area majority.

One of my favourites within your scope that hasn't been mentioned yet is Lancaster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
-
flag msg tools
I'll go with el grande first, then power grid.

Does samurai make sense after purchasing el grande?

Not sure if it's worth owing puerto rico. On one hand it's a classic, on the other I don't like fixed script play or playing against a game (instead of against people). Perhaps it's a classic only to harcore gamers (which I'm not)??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Samurai is very different from El Grande so no worries there. I'm not a fan of Power Grid so you won't hear me saying you need it. For the reasons you give but most of all because I don't like how it's won in the last fifteen minutes by small things where the first couple of hours do not matter much. Plenty will disagree with me though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-xXx- wrote:
Perhaps it's a classic only to harcore gamers (which I'm not)??

Perhaps.

yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
My suggestion would be Suburbia, a great medium-weight game. Castles of Ludwig would be another.

Castles of Burgundy is good, but is light on the player interaction, and a little long with 4 players. Kingsburg is also great for a medium weight game with player interaction, but it's fantasy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgosaric wrote:
Power Grid is okay - it can be tense, it's not complex, interaction is what I consider medium (less than carcassonne, mmore than ticket to ride). Best thing about it is that it seems lighter than it is (so it is in the direction you're looking for).

Perhaps its because PG is my favorite game, but I definitely think it has more interaction than Carcassonne (where all you do is place a tile next to an opponent usually). In PG, you can outbid your opponent, raise the price of his resources, build into his territory blocking him, and you can collude with players to stop a leader. I think every phase has interaction and very healthy doses of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the galaxy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.