Pax Romana» Forums » General

Subject: Pontus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
I understand correctly that, after playing the Pontus alliance card, I can put the pontine army in a convenient place, say Armenia , and take control of the Pontus province taking just one space?

Thank you

Carlo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Carlo M. wrote:
I understand correctly that, after playing the Pontus alliance card, I can put the pontine army in a convenient place, say Armenia , and take control of the Pontus province taking just one space?

See 12.55, first paragraph - the Pontines get placed "in any unoccupied spaces(s) in Pontus.

For control, see a few paragraphs lower: "Pontus is an independent; her presence gives no player control over anything ... Pontus, in essence, denies control to other players.

Hope this helps.
Neil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
Neil,

I've been unclear, I was trying to say: can I, when I'm allied with Pontus and it's activation is chosen, move the pontine army out of the province, virtually rendering it useless?
Maybe I'm reading the "placement" of pontine units in a too restricted way, perhaps they can't leave Pontus at all?

We're at turn 3 of scenario V, my tiny greek army is placed between a seleucid host and a roman steamroller, meanwhile Carthage is going away with victory points... any suggestion ?

and, Neil, thanks, you're supporting the game in a wonderful way.

(yes, yes, thanks to to Mr. Berg for creating it, also )

Carlo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Carlo M. wrote:
I've been unclear, I was trying to say: can I, when I'm allied with Pontus and it's activation is chosen, move the pontine army out of the province, virtually rendering it useless?

Yes, you may do this. But I wish we'd included a rule that said it wasn't allowed. It seems very strange when it happens - but there's nothing illegal about it according to the rules.

Quote:
We're at turn 3 of scenario V, my tiny greek army is placed between a seleucid host and a roman steamroller, meanwhile Carthage is going away with victory points... any suggestion ?

To be honest, you might as well start over if nothing changes. If the Greeks get caught between the East and Rome, and if Rome is ignoring Carthage, Greece is dead. Greece needs to be free on either one side or the other. The only thing good that can happen now is for Carthage to slam into Rome and force Rome to abandon its campaign against Greece. Time for a big negotiation session with Carthage!

Neil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
Thanks Neil, I will send my pigeons to Carthage tomorrow evening!

Carlo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no need for a special rule for Pontus. When the Pontus AM comes up, the controller moves the Pontine forces. You can use them where you like - just like any other minor power. I like using the Pontus galley to deny the East an easy run around the Black Sea. A galley in Trapezus with a land unit there does a very good job at this.

Moving the army out of Pontus is fine and useful, especially if you want to use the Pontines to skewer Greece or the East.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
mgringo wrote:
Moving the army out of Pontus is fine and useful, especially if you want to use the Pontines to skewer Greece or the East.

Yes, indeed, I was only wondering that seems "strange" that a Pontus ally can backstab the pontine, sending their army away and seizing the province.

Alas, I'm against The East, Rome, Pontus and Pergamo... black day of the greek army

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Carlo, how did it work out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
We missed last session due work duties, probably friday we'll clash on the cilician plains (and the Illirian ones); stay tuned!

Carlo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
So,

After a greek cospirator was denounced and executed, leaving the eastern greek army leaderless and a Successors war stormed Bagdad, leaving Asia Minor quiet, Rome bribed the greeks away from Tarentum in exchange of Miletus and attacked the cartaginian colonies in Hispania.

The next activation saw a seleucid army push into Ionia, the greeks gave battle in mountainous terrain, trying a tactical surprise to no avail and falling back on the nearest town to lick their wounds; meanwhile, a Barcid general led a big cartaginian army on the hispanic frontier.

I tried to use the terrain to negate the advantage that the cavalry gave to the eastern army, but the results were unfortunate; now I'll defend in cities or towns to negate the cavalry, but this leave the provinces free to ravage by the eastern host.

The greeks can field a big army of HI, but not quite flexible, the cavalry-building areas are very far.

How do you "lead" a greek army on the field? Can the sheer number of HI compensate for the cavalry advantage of Rome or The East?

Carlo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Payne
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
I dont think so. My opinion. If you dont get lucky and pull a Merc card then you must take a CAV province, and thats easier siad then done because of LOC.
The good news is that if your armies are that far away trying to get CAV then they should be more than 3 spaces from Greece.lol

Its kinda funny cause the search for CAV(if with any success) keeps Greece from fighting in open field against the East, which is a good thing, I guess, but then the CAV isnt needed so much anyway.

I would gladly pay 3T for some horse troops from Thessaly.

hey, thats a thought, can you buy CAV from the Romans? Is that a legal diplomatic deal? probably not.

It also helps that there are alot of mountains in Asia Minor.

I am really not a big fan of the Greek CAV situation, I think it rules Greek strategy to much. I wouldnt mind hearing RHB comment on his reasons for making it that way. I know Greeks werent big on CAV but they did have it, in Thessaly and Mecadonia.
He would probably say, "In the scope of the game" lol wich is true to be sure, but it seems to me that you could have said Greece can only buy 1 per turn and it cost 3T and only placed in thessalonika, and that would simulate histoy ok.
What does a CAV peice represent? 2000 horse?(dont have the book in front of me) If you could only raise one every 25 years, thats pretty limited. I bet more thessaly CAV than that were raised in real life.

Time for bed. I have Pax on the brain. Do they make a pill for that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
Well, I think it's a game-balancing decision, enforced by the scarce cavalry used by ancient greeks (or, more correctly, the greater importance they ascribed to infantry).

I found that Greece start with good options and expansion routes, but with a low stability level and prone to lose some provinces early; add to this the aforementioned problem with cavalry and, maybe, the "perfect greek" is more a diplomat than a general.

Carlo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Massey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might have been true that classical Greek armies were lacking in cavalry support (with the exception of the Thessalians), but Pax Romana is set after Alexander.

The Successors were well aware of the battlefield value of heavy and light horsemen, and I don't think any their armies would have had a lower proportion of mounted troops than the Republican Romans fielded.

I have the game, but haven't played it as yet, so haven't had a chance to rate it's historicity in that regard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
You clearly have a point here, but, as you will probably verify playing the game, the historicity of Pax Romana is more of a "global experience" kind than a strict aderence to the details.

That said, the fact that greeks relied more heavily than others on the infantry (Cynoscephales and Pydna came to my mind)is taken as basis to deprive them entirely of horse; I suppose that the trick works in balancing the game and giving a decent flavour of history.

IMHO as they said

Carlo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think a 3T levy system for horses in the Greek mainlands might not be such a horrible idea, or maybe even 2T but only one cavalry per turn, max.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Payne
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
I understand your point Carlo.

I think Greece is the most challenging faction to play, but they can win, maybe not without a little luck though. You are right, they have good options but they also have a massive number of tribes sitting on their border.

Being forced to look far and wide for CAV just feels a little weird.
If they get two or more(sometimes one, depending on East play) Merc cards and play well, their CAV problems are solved for the first half of the game or so, it doesnt take much, just feels a little wierd.

The 'global feel' thing makes alot of sense, the game does focus on that, but you cant deny the power of the 3 shifts for CAV supremacy. Its overwhelming. Against an army without cav its too easy to get, so you must fight in cities and mountains, tough to deny your territory to enemies that way.

Does anyone else feel like they have to go for CAV areas with Greece? Or do they feel its a strategic choice?

Has anyone won with Greece? and if so did you get lucky with cards or was the CAV thing a non issue or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.