BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » Werewolf

Subject: Liar's Dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
So, let's try something new.

This will be a fast game. I'll run it with as many players that show up.

For those of you that have never seen this (which means you haven't watched Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and weren't very adventurous in Red Dead Redemption), the game is played like this:

Setup: Each player starts with five (six-sided) dice.

Objective: The object of the game is to outbid, outbluff, and outlast your opponents to be the last player with dice.

Game Play:
As a night action, each player will be given dice rolls equal to their total allotment. These are individual dice rolls and not a total (a player will be given 5,4,4,3,1 for example - not 17). Once all players have their numbers, dawn will start.
During the day, the starting player bids how many dice have been 'rolled' that feature a specific number. This bid is for how many TOTAL dice have that number, not how many he individually has rolled. For example, he can say "six threes" or "four sixes". The next player in turn will either call the previous player a liar or they will up the bid.

Bids can be raised in one of two ways:
1. A player can increase the number shown on the dice (after saying "four fives", the next player can say "four sixes").
2. A player can increase the number of dice in the bet (after saying "four fives", the next player can say five or more of any dice).

If a player chooses not to increase the bid, they can challenge by saying liar. When a player has been challenged, all dice rolls will be revealed to the game. If the final total is equal to OR greater than the challenged number, then the player who called liar must discard one dice.

If the final total is less than the declared bid, then the person who made the bet must discard a die.

Once a dice is lost, dusk is called and the game goes into night, resetting the game except one player has one less dice. Whoever loses their die starts the bidding the next round.

Should be straight-forward, yes? Please ask questions. Let's see if we can get four or five players for this Sunday, 2 PM BGG time. Need at least three players to run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player List According to Cassandra:
Kaffedrake
ljtrigirl
maytheodds
MD1616
RoyalApe
Skinny02

6 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/1294...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Saved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Linguist, I saw the heading and I was super-excited, but there's a major rule wrong here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
Linguist, I saw the heading and I was super-excited, but there's a major rule wrong here...

But I still signed up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
You have to be more specific. What's wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
You have to be more specific. What's wrong?

In Liar's Dice the number of dice lost is equal to the difference between the bet and the actual value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Effinger
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
MD1616 wrote:

I was also excited, and amused that the other WBC attendee was the first sign-up .

And I see two rules "wrong" (no wilds, and you only lose 1 die, rather then the difference between your bid and the correct bid). Of course, there are a lot of ways of playing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robb wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

I was also excited, and amused that the other WBC attendee was the first sign-up .

And I see two rules "wrong" (no wilds, and you only lose 1 die, rather then the difference between your bid and the correct bid). Of course, there are a lot of ways of playing this.

Oh, I didn't realize that there wasn't anything about wilds. Thanks for picking up on that.

Yeah, I know there are a lot of ways to play it, but for me, the rules we use at WBC will always be the rules of Liar's Dice no matter what anyone says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Shrug. There are many ways of playing Liar's Dice, just like there are many ways of playing Werewolf. I wouldn't call any specific rules 'wrong' as much as I would say 'different than expected'.

Let's stick to the rules as presented above and see how it works.

What's WBC?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm around Sunday I'll play.

These rules look fine to me, they're almost exactly how I've always played. Only thing missing is that you take a drink/shot whenever you lose a die...but that'll be more difficult online
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
Shrug. There are many ways of playing Liar's Dice, just like there are many ways of playing Werewolf. I wouldn't call any specific rules 'wrong' as much as I would say 'different than expected'.

Let's stick to the rules as presented above and see how it works.

What's WBC?

Sorry, I didn't mean to insult you. I just have overly specific conceptions of how the game should be played, but that's my fault.

WBC is a convention in the beginning of August. Unlike some of the bigger trade show cons, WBC focuses on tournaments and Open Gaming. It draws about 2000 boardgamers a year and has around 150 different tournaments every year in every genre imaginable. Robb and I were specifically referencing the Liar's Dice tournament, which is held on the Friday of the con, is one of a series of late-night just-for-fun tournaments, and is regularly attended by 200+ people. I can go on, but I'll cut myself off here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Didn't take insult at the comment. I've seen different games be played different ways. No worries.

And that works for me. Only WBC I'd heard of is the World Boxing Council.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed TwoEggs
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I think I prefer the 1 dice over the difference.. Is there a reason I shouldn't? The jury is out on wilds.

Go-time is Sunday at 2:00 pm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
zd00 wrote:
I think I prefer the 1 dice over the difference.. Is there a reason I shouldn't? The jury is out on wilds.

Go time is Sunday at 2 PM BGG, yup.

And yeah, 1 dice at a time is less swingy. Not like we're playing high-stakes poker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zd00 wrote:

The main reason is that the other way (only being able to lose one die at a time) makes the game a lot slower.

And to address the swingy part, it's a dice game, so I go on expecting it to be swingy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
MD1616 wrote:
zd00 wrote:

The main reason is that the other way (only being able to lose one die at a time) makes the game a lot slower.

And to address the swingy part, it's a dice game, so I go on expecting it to be swingy...
Are you going to be in a hurry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One other rule we use at WBC is that everyone except the person who made the bet loses a die (excluding anyone with one die except the person who called) when someone calls and the bet was exact. That also helps to speed up the game, but it's not a big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
MD1616 wrote:
zd00 wrote:

Are you going to be in a hurry?

No, but I'd rather play two fast games than one slow one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Effinger
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
MD1616 wrote:
One other rule we use at WBC is that everyone except the person who made the bet loses a die (excluding anyone with one die except the person who called) when someone calls and the bet was exact. That also helps to speed up the game, but it's not a big deal.

I hate this rule, personally. I hate that you can lose a dice in a hand where you didn't even touch the cup. If I were to play with a rule like this at all, I'd have it so that you only lose a die if you had a turn that round.. . But ya, I'm aware that that's too much book-keeping for an otherwise fairly light game.

And ya, "wrong" was in quotation marks above because it's simply different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Effinger
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I guess the difference in rules means that it's safer to bluff, but there's less reward for doing so.

eg: if my cup contains five 6s, and I open with something like eight 5s, then if I can only lose one die there isn't much penalty to someone calling my bluff right now. But at the same time, if it gets back to me at thirteen 5s, and I call, and there aren't that many 5s, my opponent isn't going to lose as many dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Effinger
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Oh, and the other "missing" rule is show and re-roll - after increasing the bid, but before the next player starts his turn, I can take 1 or more dice out from under my cup, and reroll them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Effinger
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Oh, just found the info on when this is going to run... I'm trying to get a game of Advanced Civ in this Sunday, so I might be unavailable.. if it falls through and nothing replaces it, I may be around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Robb wrote:
Oh, and the other "missing" rule is show and re-roll - after increasing the bid, but before the next player starts his turn, I can take 1 or more dice out from under my cup, and reroll them.
Oh. Have never heard that rule. But I can see it being playable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
Robb wrote:
Oh. Have never heard that rule. But I can see it being playable.

Thanks for pointing it out, Robb.

It's quite a good rule, Linguist. It gives the players more information and introduces some exciting uncertainty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.