Sergeants D-Day» Forums » Rules

Subject: Number of Blast Checks for Tossed Grenade rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter
msg tools
badge
mbmb
I think several of us wanted a clarification on the number of blast checks for a tossed grenade. I believe concrete examples are best for asking experts, so I will present a sequence of cases to explain and explore. [NOTE: reading the rule book literally (to me), it says one blast check per toss, but the grenade chart on the supply dump card says grenades "Attacks up to 4 targets" which (to me) implies up to 4 blast checks.]

JeffB can you confirm / explain these cases?

(1) Case #1: Toss a grenade into a square with one enemy soldier
I think many assume one blast check is made(which might have 0 or more hits associated with it.)

(2) Case #2: Toss a grenade into a square with 2, 3, or 4 soldiers
The question is whether there is:
(3A) a blast check for each enemy soldier in the target square (up to 4)
(3B) a single blast check, independent of the number of enemy soldiers.

(3) Case #3: Toss a grenade into a square with 5 or more enemy soldiers
(3A) four blast checks (similar to 2A, but with the cap of 4 blast checks)
(3B) one blast check (similar to 2B)

(4) Case #4: Toss a grenade into a "fight" with several enemy and friendly soldiers
(4A) up to four blast checks
(4B) one blast check
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Blast check is done for each soldier in all cases.

For example, 3 enemy soldier each Hit Check the Blast line separately. If they are hit, Damage is pulled from the players Deck that owns the soldier and the Deck of the tosser of the grenade, for each Hit that was scored.

In case 3, you ID check the soldiers that are hit. Pull the Blast Hit Check if miss then skip the ID check. If Hit - ID CHeck - then resolve the damage.

Case 4, Make 1 opponent check then 1 friendly check then 1 opponent check then the last friendly check friendly check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery McCulloch
United States
Buda
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only missing piece is the maximum of 4 blast checks. Otherwise, this seems to be clarified. I hope this goes into an updated set of rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Petraska
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the same true for rifle grenades and carbine grenades?

Also, since these types of grenades are shot into a square rather than tossed, do they require a Hit Check at the firing distance, modified by Shoot terrain modifiers, prior to making a Blast Check? Or does the range simply define the engagement maximum engagement envelope, and only a Blast Check is necessary?

In other words, do rifle and carbine grenades require a Hit Check, a Blast Check, or both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hit Check for Rifle and Carbine Grenades is still a blast Hit Check.

The Distance for the Attack uses the soldiers ability to place the grenade in a square accurately.

(Commentary) Some of the Fallschirmjäger fighting in Normandy were real artist with a grenade launcher... that is coming in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Petraska
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if a soldier fires a rifle or carbine grenade from Short range into a square containing multiple soldiers, it is resolved as a grenade except that each possible hit is checked on the Short row of the Hit Check box instead of the Blast row? Or am I misunderstanding you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery McCulloch
United States
Buda
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dauntless_Dad wrote:
So if a soldier fires a rifle or carbine grenade from Short range into a square containing multiple soldiers, it is resolved as a grenade except that each possible hit is checked on the Short row of the Hit Check box instead of the Blast row?

Still just a blast check, but the distance is based on the shooter and does not use modifiers. Simple distance is all (plus bonus any equipment card gives you for added distance).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Petraska
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the attack procedures for rifle/carbine grenades and hand grenades are identical except for using the stated maximum ranges on the equipment cards instead of the Toss range. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery McCulloch
United States
Buda
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dauntless_Dad wrote:
So the attack procedures for rifle/carbine grenades and hand grenades are identical except for using the stated maximum ranges on the equipment cards instead of the Toss range. Correct?

Yep. The weapon just makes a very long grenade toss is all. And the grenade launcher sight adds 3 squares to that Distance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pseudonym
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the benefit of the launcher is that you can lob grenades pretty far. The down side is the cost in VPs and getting spotted. I would not use one against one or two guys. But against a crew, there are few better weapons.

-Jeff M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
msg tools
badge
mbmb
Jeff Billings wrote:

For example, 3 enemy soldier each Hit Check the Blast line separately. If they are hit, Damage is pulled from the players Deck that owns the soldier and the Deck of the tosser of the grenade, for each Hit that was scored.

In case 3, you ID check the soldiers that are hit. Pull the Blast Hit Check if miss then skip the ID check. If Hit - ID CHeck - then resolve the damage.

Case 4, Make 1 opponent check then 1 friendly check then 1 opponent check then the last friendly check friendly check.

Thanks JB.

If you are coming up with candidate video situations or play examples, then going through all the steps of case 3 would be a very useful example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Clarkson
United States
Watertown
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Billings wrote:

I just received this game and 4 unit expansions last week.

I really don't understand the sequence of events for grenades.

-If 3 guys are in the the square we pull one card for each to see if there is a hit?

-then do a idenity check? I don't understand why? If they are already hit.

-then for each hit soldier both players play a card to apply damage? So the shooting player could pull a zip and the casualty player a kill?

Thanks,
Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery McCulloch
United States
Buda
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
docgeo1 wrote:
Jeff Billings wrote:

I just received this game and 4 unit expansions last week.

I really don't understand the sequence of events for grenades.

-If 3 guys are in the the square we pull one card for each to see if there is a hit?

-then do a idenity check? I don't understand why? If they are already hit.

-then for each hit soldier both players play a card to apply damage? So the shooting player could pull a zip and the casualty player a kill?

Thanks,
Gary

You only do a random Identity check if there are more than four guys in the square.

Yes, both sides draw a card to assess damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Clarkson
United States
Watertown
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So do we draw 4 idenity cards?

If so, could all the wounds go against the same guy?

Could all the cards go against cards of a soldier not in the square....therefore injuring no one?

With a weapon team does one positive ID inflict wounds on the entire team?

Thanks and sorry for so many questions!

Thanks for the previous Answers too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery McCulloch
United States
Buda
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
docgeo1 wrote:
So do we draw 4 idenity cards?

If so, could all the wounds go against the same guy?

Could all the cards go against cards of a soldier not in the square....therefore injuring no one?

With a weapon team does one positive ID inflict wounds on the entire team?

Thanks and sorry for so many questions!

Thanks for the previous Answers too!

If you have four or fewer guys in the target square - draw a card for each soldier one at a time (say "I'm checking to see if this guy is hit") until you checked for each guy. If there are only three guys, you only make three checks: one for each guy.

If you have more than four guys, draw four cards. Then do an Identity check to see who gets hit. Only one hit per soldier, so they do not get hit more than once. For example, you have five guys, A-E. You draw three hits. Do an Identity check until you identify who those three guys are.

When you hit a crew, the blast goes off in the crew. So, if you identify a member of the crew that gets hit, then the rest of your checks are in the crew alone.

You keep burning through your deck until you find one of the guys in the target square.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.