Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Fire in the Lake» Forums » Rules

Subject: question about rally/trail improvement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris District
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I'm keeping a written list of questions as I go through this solo game, and as I play with my friends, but this one might affect me tonight so I'm posing it now:

Rally increases the trail value at the END of the Op. However, there are times when you would Rally, then do your SA, then Rally some more. I have done this in combination with Infiltrate a number of times. So, a two-part question:

1. If I Rally, and I intend to Infiltrate and then maybe Rally some more, do I increase the Trail value after the first set of Rallies? And therefore would the increased Trail value affect the number of troops I could put down with Infiltrate?

2. A continuation of #1 really, I guess. If I Rally, then increase the Trail, then Infiltrate (or anything else), and then decide I want to Rally again, do I suddenly get to use the increased trail value?

The short version of the question is: do you only increase the trail value at the absolute end of your turn?

*edit*
I checked the rules a third time and I still haven't found the answer. Sorry if it's an obvious one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
District wrote:
The short version of the question is: do you only increase the trail value at the absolute end of your turn?

It's my understanding that you Improve the Trail at the end of the Op, so you can never use the increased Trail value to add more Guerillas during a Rally. But you can then do a Special Activity (ie, Infiltrate) after that, using the increased Trail value.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
JazzFish wrote:
It's my understanding that you Improve the Trail at the end of the Op, so you can never use the increased Trail value to add more Guerillas during a Rally. But you can then do a Special Activity (ie, Infiltrate) after that, using the increased Trail value.

Correct.

/Oerjan
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris District
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JazzFish wrote:
District wrote:
The short version of the question is: do you only increase the trail value at the absolute end of your turn?

It's my understanding that you Improve the Trail at the end of the Op, so you can never use the increased Trail value to add more Guerillas during a Rally. But you can then do a Special Activity (ie, Infiltrate) after that, using the increased Trail value.


Sorry to dig this up again. I just want to clarify one more thing.

If I start a Rally, then pause to Infiltrate in the middle of the turn, and then go on to do more Rallies and finally increase the trail, do I use the original (lower) trail value for the Infiltrate? In other words, does Infiltrate only benefit from the improved trail value if it's done at the very end of the turn?

Checked rules for both Rally and Infiltrate and neither specifies.
Also reviewed Playbook for examples and did not find clarification.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
District wrote:
Sorry to dig this up again. I just want to clarify one more thing.

If I start a Rally, then pause to Infiltrate in the middle of the turn, and then go on to do more Rallies and finally increase the trail, do I use the original (lower) trail value for the Infiltrate? In other words, does Infiltrate only benefit from the improved trail value if it's done at the very end of the turn?

Checked rules for both Rally and Infiltrate and neither specifies.
Also reviewed Playbook for examples and did not find clarification.

It seems to me (as a mere newbie player) that you surely do things in the order you do them, so that when you infiltrate, you use the trail value when you infiltrate. Trying to treat special actions as if they were somehow done after the operation, regardless of when you actually do them, would surely lead to endless paradoxes and headaches and memory confusion.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
It seems to me (as a mere newbie player) that you surely do things in the order you do them, so that when you infiltrate, you use the trail value when you infiltrate.

Correct.

Regards, Oerjan
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.