Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm having a little trouble really clicking with this game, especially in comparison to Pandemic: The Cure.

I've only played a couple games, but it seems to be a rather.. low-key experience. There seems to be very little excitement, as the decisions are largely blind and not at all reactive.

In The Cure, you've got lots of dice rolling, lots of decisions to agonize over and second guess. You've got ridiculously high highs, with lots of wincing, groaning, and covering your eyes during particularly important rolls.

Samurai Spirit.. just doesn't seem to have that. It seems like it might be the slightly deeper game, with more ability to plot and plan, but at the same time, 2 of the 3 actions you can take involve skipping your turn and getting no immediate feedback/results. That just isn't particularly exciting. And then even when you do take an activate turn, its just a single card flip.. and then usually a non-choice between left or right.

I really want to enjoy the game, but as it is, when put up against The Cure, I'm just not sure its going to survive in my collection.

I've taught 4 people The Cure, and they've all loved it. The games have been animated and exciting. Meanwhile, in the games I've taught to 3 people of Samurai Spirit.. they just seem to end, without really leaving much of an impression on anybody.

Is this just a game that takes a bit of work to crack open?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you think of any other game that might be better than Samurai Spirit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Szience Man
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it definitely needs a few playthroughs the get interesting. I like that it's very challenging. I've played through seven times, but just checking the forums to check that I'm playing it right. I wasn't playing it right. I wasn't playing a few things right which makes it even harder.

I'll have to check out the cure. It sounds like a ringing endorsement. Thanks for the comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Preston
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think in the beginning there are much more choices to be made than at the end when you're more at the mercy of the deck. But I've played it multiple times now both solo and with up to 5 people. Most have been the same people and our last match we were within 2 burn cards of FINALLY winning on normal. So close, and we did have a few situations that were about as intense as a die roll for the perfect number.

Quick session story - basically a wounded transformed samurai was about to die by not defending himself on the final round. There were only 3 cards left in the enemy deck. Everyone else passed and I supported him to let him encounter the last 2 enemies in the deck in hope that there was one bandit with the "hat" symbol left. First card, no luck, he just put it in his battle line, last card in the deck and we all winced as he flipped it over...it had the hat! We survived to the end but still ended up losing 1 too many houses by intruders after all was said and done. So close, but that will make finally winning so much sweeter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K AM
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Interesting that you're comparing this to Pandemic: The Cure.

Thus far, I have the opposite view. I think Pandemic: The Cure is a fun game, that we've enjoyed, but the choices in that game seem much more obvious. You are subject to a good deal of randomness, and that does result in a number of "Oh no" moments, but the decisions don't feel particularly intense.

I've not delved deeply into Samurai Spirit yet, but from the outset, I can already see that the choices, and specifically the use of Talents are going to make a huge impact on the result. I think Samurai Spirit will prove to be a much more "thinky" game.

KAM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
InkSplat wrote:
[Samurai Spirit] seems like it might be the slightly deeper game, with more ability to plot and plan, but at the same time, 2 of the 3 actions you can take involve skipping your turn and getting no immediate feedback/results. That just isn't particularly exciting. And then even when you do take an activate turn, its just a single card flip.. and then usually a non-choice between left or right.

KAM1138 wrote:
Interesting that you're comparing this to Pandemic: The Cure

Actually I think the comparison is great, The Cure was the game I thought of picking up as my 2nd co-op. As far as release date + player # go it's a comparable game I'd say.

I agree with your main point though KAM, the choices here are where all the tension, feedback, and fun comes from. Getting the perfect setup for that one turn so that Gorobei can Kiai on 3, pass 4 and 6 to the right, while having two chances on the draw because of Katsushiro (hope we don't get a 5!). Everyone's tensed up, then we flip the next raider over...

I'm hoping these two games end up being good compliments to each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K AM
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ickil wrote:

Actually I think the comparison is great, The Cure was the game I thought of picking up as my 2nd co-op. As far as release date + player # go it's a comparable game I'd say.

I agree with your main point though KAM, the choices here are where all the tension, feedback, and fun comes from. Getting the perfect setup for that one turn so that Gorobei can Kiai on 3, pass 4 and 6 to the right, while having two chances on the draw because of Katsushiro (hope we don't get a 5!). Everyone's tensed up, then we flip the next raider over...

I'm hoping these two games end up being good compliments to each other.

Yes, the anticipation of that flip, and whether you have the talents to deal with it have proven to be pretty enjoyable so far...and sometimes result in a crushing defeat.

I think they are both enjoyable games. The only thing about Pandemic: The Cure is the price, which I think is a bit high.

KAM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Very enjoyable game for me - its a very thoughtful game...and no dice is a welcome change of pace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.