Robert Line
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been thinking of using the alternate combat system presented in dreadnoughts in SWWAS games.

What changes would have to be made?

How do you handle the faster ships?

What impact would radar equipped ships have on calculating gunnery factors?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Plymale
United States
Huddleston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would start by looking at the differences in GWAS/SWWAS tactical combat. Then look at the differences between GWAS and Dreadnaughts. That should point you in the direction needed to do tactical rules for SWWAS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering this myself. I think there should be a plunging fire distance although I don't know what it is from memory. The random damage table from Dreadnoughts works but should be updated for WW2 specific ships. Fires and crew damage could have a major effect on a ship's AA gun capability, for instance.
From the book Shattered Sword: the damage to the Japanese carriers from dive bombers was made exponentially worse by the fueled up bombers belowdecks. Maybe a rule that if you are continuously flying CAPs or if you have planes in READY, you are susceptible to catastrophic damage.

That's all speculation though. There are some changes I must use:

Essential rule: Every Primary gun factor can only hit a light ship (destroyer or smaller) if it secondary rolls a 5 or 6 for every previous hit. This is to represent problems with angling down the big guns, difficulty in hitting a smaller target, tendency of a shell to pass through one of the tin cans, and (most importantly) to make the true Rock, Paper, Scissors effect of BBs, Cruisers, and DDs. Not every battle is going to revolve around aircraft, so maneuvers shouldn't be left out.

Facing: Ships should have facing. Only 75 percent of gunnery factors if you only can hit with your front half. KG V is an exception. No torpedoes launched except from side.

Japanese torpedo armed cruisers - should be more vulnerable to offset the advantage of having them, but also for historical accuracy.

So there are my haus rules. Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.