Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first review on the geek - I usually do not write reviews, because there are normally already plenty of them for most games I play. With "Millionen-Coup", it is another case - there is only one review in German language. So, here we go (very quickly, I promise)

Theme
The players play some sort of former gangster - and they try to proove to the bank that their security system is not safe... Ehhhmmm... ok. I think the game was meant to be about breaking into a bank, but they probably decided to do it less criminal. A not so good decision. Just forget it and imagine you would try to steal gold from a bank. The final goal is to reach the safe room in time and get the gold. Fot achieving this, you have to find out the number combination of the safe, which consists of three numbers (0-9)

TipToi
The main feature of this game is that it is using the TipToi from Ravensburger. The TipToi is something like a fat "pencil", which can connect to a computer. Then, you can point it on any element of the game, and it will talk to you (about rules, or later about gameplay). Really impressive, because it works perfectly fine! No crash or something. Before you start the game, you have to download the files, and go.

Gameplay
After reading the rules, we were a little confused - Everything sounded not so easy. But after giving it a try (and playing with the "help speech" turned on), things got clear quite quickly. In general, you can select the difficulty for the game - either 35, 40 or 45 minutes of time. Each action a player does takes some time - either 30, 60, 90 or 120 seconds. And because the game is played realtime, you cannot do anything during these seconds.
So, how does it play?

There are two phases: The Planning and the Execution phase. These phases are not time-boxed, i.e you decide when you go over from planning to execution
1) Planning: In this phase, the players use abilities to discover details of the bank - what is the guardian's path, where are the consoles to deactivate the alarm system, what are numbers that are NOT part of the safe combination. And also very important, players can improve skills (like running, safe-opening, electronics etc.)
2) Execution: In this phase, player's actually enter the bank. This is where the game really shines - the TipToi controls everything: the path of the guardian, the time each action takes, and you an really focus on solving the puzzle. Yes, it is somehow puzzle-solving, with some time pressure. Very nice! But be careful: When you enter the room with the guardian or with an alarm system, you lost immediately! And it can happen...

Verdict
This game is really cool. The fun factor using the TipToi is really high. And it simply works, I was surprised how well the TipToi handles everything. And let's be honest: Using the TipToi is much easier than dealing with an app. I prefer that a lot and hope there will be other TipToi-games soon! I think you can do a lot with that. Would be best it Ravensburger would publish an SDK or so, so that everyone can use the TipToi to create stuff. Would surely improve their sales... Anyway...

So, I really liked the game, and rate it a 7. Oh, why a 7 and not higher? There is one thing that we disliked: The planning phase is also realtime, and learning new skills or details about the bank takes from 60 to 120 seconds each. No problem when you play for the first 2 or 3 times. But then the planning get's a little boring. Would be better if this phase would not have been realtime, but instead just substract the time needed for actions from the overall time limit. That's the biggest drawback of the game.

Still, if you understand German (the sound files are only available in German, I think), give it a try - I think it is well worth it. Not sure if it is a keeper yet, but definitely a game I will remember...

[Update 01/03/2015: Added some clarifications and fixed some typos]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love you.

I'm not sure if you're a guy, a lady, a plant, or a mineral... but I love you.

I learned of this game about a month back, and was heartbroken to see that there was hardly any buzz or English language information about the play experience.

So, yeah.. thank you, indeed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been interested in this for a while but since it is german I dont have many people I could play it with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I love you.

Ehhhhh.... thanks As mentioned at the beginning, it was a very quick review, so I guess I missed some points about the game. But I thought the game deserved some feedback.

Quote:
I have been interested in this for a while but since it is german I dont have many people I could play it with.

If one speaks German, I think that's enough. The important parts can be translated by that person, the rest is not so hard.

If someone needs more information, just let me know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mavo wrote:
The planning phase is also realtime, and learning new skills or details about the bank takes from 60 to 120 seconds each. No problem when you play for the first 2 or 3 times. But then the planning get's a little boring. Would be better if this phase would not have been realtime, but instead just substract the time needed for actions from the overall time limit. That's the biggest drawback of the game.

I agree and disagree. Depending on the difficulty its actually more boring to play the mission then to plan it. At higher levels you have to have a very good idea as of who moves where and when and that already has to be known in planning. So if you just learn stuff and don't frantically talk in the pauses then you are probably playing at a mode that is too easy for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What you say is true for the end of the planning phase - let's say the last third of it. Before that, you do not have enough information to discuss plans...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incredible! I lied! This is not my first review, I did one 2 years ago, but completely forgot about that:

Quote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.