Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read the rules, punched out all the tokens, etc. to get ready to play this one.

One issue popped out at me. In the first scenario, if the characters win by having at least one conquest token left when they kill the final monster, what is the point of being awarded four conquest tokens as a result of killing the monster? It seems to me that by that point, the players either won or lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Why do you get conquest tokens for killing final monster
No good reason, really. Until they come up with a viable campaign mode where perhaps they carry over from scenario to scenario they serve no function.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
When I run the game at conventions, I use a varient where I allow the Heroes to go into negative Conquest tokens. The final award can cause them to win the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j s
United States
washington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Z. your a genious you just fixed my biggest problem with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Zebrowski wrote:
When I run the game at conventions, I use a varient where I allow the Heroes to go into negative Conquest tokens. The final award can cause them to win the scenario.

Quick question. As the overlord, if you know the final Named is worth, let's say 3 conquest tokens, do you tell it to the heroes?

Or do you let them play until their negative reaches -3 and then tell them its really over since they can't get above 0?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
i.a.m wrote:
Mike Zebrowski wrote:

Quick question. As the overlord, if you know the final Named is worth, let's say 3 conquest tokens, do you tell it to the heroes?

Or do you let them play until their negative reaches -3 and then tell them its really over since they can't get above 0?

There are other ways to earn Conquest tokens besides killing off the final critter. Chests and Glyphs are another source of Conquest tokens.

There will be a point where it is mathmatically impossible to win, but at by the time that the Heroes reach it, it would be pretty clear that the Overlord should win.

Mike Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Taylor
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My take on this was the statement where hero's can re-try quests for the sake of having a more impressive win by having extra conquest tokens. But I suppose , either way, they are rather pointless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Burkemaster wrote:
My take on this was the statement where hero's can re-try quests for the sake of having a more impressive win by having extra conquest tokens. But I suppose , either way, they are rather pointless.

But even then it wouldn't make a difference. If you have any at all you won the game - so all the extras do is inflate how many it appears you had left.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the idea of letting Heroes get into negative conquest tokens... when they hit 0 that should be endgame. I thought the bonus is just to "show off" - ie, if you replay the mission you try to get more tokens... or if you're running a campaign, each mission you're trying to finish with more tokens to show off your achievments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
SanguinousRex wrote:
I don't like the idea of letting Heroes get into negative conquest tokens... when they hit 0 that should be endgame.

That is how the rules are written.

However, I change that rule when I demo the game at conventions for several reasons:

1) The players have signed up for a 4 or 6 hour game. I'd rather have the players entertained for the entire time rather than send them away early because they made a few rookie mistakes.

2) If the Overlord wins, you have 1 happy player and 4 sad players. Not a good way to sell a game. By going negative, the heroes have a chance at making a comeback. This way, I usually end up with 5 happy players. The Overlord player is happy as he technically won the game. The Hero players are happy as they managed a come-from-behind victory.

3) The core experience of Descent is the Journey and not the Result. Stopping the game due to the Heroes losing due to rookie mistakes results in them not experiencing the Journey.

Mike Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.