Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: How many people are sleeving their cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am conflicted!

I do not always sleeve my cards. I only sleeve when I know that a game contains a lot of shuffling, because this typically means that the cards will begin to show wear unless I protect them.

In the case of Eldritch, I find that there is more shuffling than I expected... especially in the Conditions deck, but also in other decks. However, with Forsaken Lore tossed in, storage is already a bit tight.

For those of you who have sleeved your cards, are you able to store everything easily?

For those of you who haven't sleeved, are you seeing wear on your cards?

Thanks all.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't sleeve cards ever so far, it seems like too much of a pain. On the other hand for small decks when I shuffle I normally use a random number generator to put cards in random order, it doesn't take much longer than riffle shuffling a bunch of times and produces more randomized results and is also easier on the cards. (My friends think I'm crazy for doing it but it works so I'm ok with that. )

Regarding the decks in Eldritch Horror instead of reshuffling them every time you draw a specified card from the deck like it says it the rules instead I just put the excess cards on the bottom of the deck (actually the top for the double sided cards). Since the deck is already in random order putting cards on the bottom still leaves everything randomized, you just won't get the exact same card back immediately if it gets discarded. The difference in gameplay is insignificant and it saves a ton of hassle reshuffling decks.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:
I don't sleeve cards ever so far, it seems like too much of a pain. On the other hand for small decks when I shuffle I normally use a random number generator to put cards in random order, it doesn't take much longer than riffle shuffling a bunch of times and produces more randomized results and is also easier on the cards. (My friends think I'm crazy for doing it but it works so I'm ok with that. )


Huh? Are you saying you use a random number generator to decide the order of the cards, and then go through the entire deck manually putting the cards in that order?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
dugman wrote:
I don't sleeve cards ever so far, it seems like too much of a pain. On the other hand for small decks when I shuffle I normally use a random number generator to put cards in random order, it doesn't take much longer than riffle shuffling a bunch of times and produces more randomized results and is also easier on the cards. (My friends think I'm crazy for doing it but it works so I'm ok with that. )


Huh? Are you saying you use a random number generator to decide the order of the cards, and then go through the entire deck manually putting the cards in that order?


Yeah, I lay out the cards face down and roll numbers one at a time and put the cards in a deck in that order. Takes only a few seconds per card to shuffle this way so it works fine as long as the deck isn't bigger than around 20 or 30 cards. Beyond that it can take a while and riffle shuffling is easier. I also do this in deck builders when I need to constantly reshuffle decks with less than 20 cards in them.

And I do something similar with the monsters and clues, I put them down in rows and use a random number generator to pick them when needed. Takes the same amount of time as using a cup or bag but the result is guaranteed to be as random as possible (versus when you draw from a bag it's possible for something to be in a corner of the bag or whatever and be unlikely to get drawn, the randomness isn't likely to be as uniform.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse G
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had been a tester for early Eldritch horror stuff and was required to sleeve many cards due to their "testing" quality. After testing was done and i bought the retailer copy I see no need for the sleeves in this game due to shuffling exclusively.

Most of my other card heavy games i chose to sleeve. I do love sleeving but the card quality does seem high in the EH series.

I will say that I DO shuffle and even remove some of the artifact and asset cards from the game after use. Only because I found that with shuffling some cards never get played and its really frustrating to not see many cards over multiple games…
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeving is worth it primarily if the cards get shuffled a lot. Which doesn't happen in this game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:
I don't sleeve cards ever so far, it seems like too much of a pain


dugman wrote:
Yeah, I lay out the cards face down and roll numbers one at a time and put the cards in a deck in that order. Takes only a few seconds per card to shuffle this way so it works fine as long as the deck isn't bigger than around 20 or 30 cards. Beyond that it can take a while and riffle shuffling is easier. I also do this in deck builders when I need to constantly reshuffle decks with less than 20 cards in them.

And I do something similar with the monsters and clues, I put them down in rows and use a random number generator to pick them when needed. Takes the same amount of time as using a cup or bag but the result is guaranteed to be as random as possible (versus when you draw from a bag it's possible for something to be in a corner of the bag or whatever and be unlikely to get drawn, the randomness isn't likely to be as uniform.)

wow
dugman wrote:
... it saves a ton of hassle reshuffling decks.



That... that sounds like it might be some sort of ritual for summoning Azathoth. goo

And my friends think I'm OCD for sleeving (some of) my games...

Orange_Chef wrote:
I had been a tester for early Eldritch horror stuff and was required to sleeve many cards due to their "testing" quality. After testing was done and i bought the retailer copy I see no need for the sleeves in this game due to shuffling exclusively.

Most of my other card heavy games i chose to sleeve. I do love sleeving but the card quality does seem high in the EH series.

I will say that I DO shuffle and even remove some of the artifact and asset cards from the game after use. Only because I found that with shuffling some cards never get played and its really frustrating to not see many cards over multiple games…

This has also been my experience in Elder Sign. I have played the game at least fifty times, and I can see no wear whatsoever on any of the cards! However, Eldritch has a lot more shuffling; in Elder Sign, you really only shuffle at setup.
5 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cthulhu Hunter
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine are sleeved. I would disagree that the card quality is high in the EH series. The card designs are well done, but the cards themselves seem a bit thin, and I had a bad experience with the corner of an item card getting bent while demoing at Arkham Nights (in all fairness, this was due handling and not shuffling, but bent is bent.) Due to this, I sleeved the cards as soon as I bought the game. This also helped shuffling the Research decks that were in the base game (these decks have fattened out since, and now the Item and Condition decks need to be separated into 2 piles to shuffle.)

Fitting it all back in the box?

Base EH: Not bad at all.

Base EH with FL: Had to lose the insert, organizing was doable but like playing Tetris with the card stacks and game is pretty snug. Might have fit better had I not put everything back in just the EH box.

Base EH with FL and MOM: Snug in the EH box, the MOM box still has some spare room. Both inserts fit in their boxes again.

Base EH with FL, MOM and the next small box expansion we all know is coming (hopefully soon, right?) Guessing Tetris all over again. So much goodness. shake

Base EH with FL, MOM, and the next small and big box expansion we all know is coming after they get the next small expansion out of the way: The cards fit again and much more gaming goodness. Of course, now my games don't fit in their bookcase anymore and I can't shuffle any of the decks without separating them out. yuk

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rpickman wrote:
For those of you who haven't sleeved, are you seeing wear on your cards?
I played EH over twenty times last summer in my garage and I began to notice wear on the conditions and assets.
Nothing major, but that soiled, grimy well-worn card feeling. (Sounds worse than it actually is, but it's the best description I can use)
Since incorporating the expansions, I don't notice the wear that much as if they've been diluted in the stack by the inclusion of new cards, if that makes sense...

Using cards racks saves wear n' tear since I'm no longer picking up each encounter stack to place discards beneath (I can't manage individual discard piles - not enough room).
I do have to shuffle the double-sided cards and the conditions seem to get the most abuse from doing this, but I'm not too concerned.

Do any of you ever take new cards from expansions and just shuffle them a bit and gently bend them to break 'em in?
I do do this with Onirim expansions and the new EH cards because they feel too new for inclusion!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
The card quality in this game is excellent so I feel no need to sleeve yet. I usually only sleeve if the card holds hidden information, such as in CDG's, or if I play a game a lot. I sleeve very few of my FFG games.

If I played more than once a week I would sleeve though. But I have played AH about 40 times and there is no wear at all that is noticeable.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I scan then sleeve. Pretty much all my games these days.

-shnar
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Sleeve, because non-sleeving is anathema.

Post-MM, GOO and sideboard related cards have to go in bags in a separate box. All the other cards fit in 5 deck boxes (as usual sideloaders for small cards) in the main box.

Used to have evil stuff in a different cardboard box I kept *in* the main box, but having to add 2 deck boxes for MM killed that, so went all out multibox - even keeping investigator standups in the Forsaken Lore box now. Fiddling them out of baggie was annoying anyway so good riddance.

Edit: non-sleeving would probably not save on storage there. Not all of the deck boxes are all out *full* now, but space gained from no-sleeving would probably not cut down on deckboxes and thus free up box space.
And sleeving is still an ideology thing, so room isn't even an issue.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Phillips
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
One does not simply surf into Mordor!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a sleever. I just like how cards feel in my hand better. Last night we (2 of my buddies, my wife and I) were playing a new game of mine (Dead of Winter). A couple rounds in was desert time and I served up a loaf of fresh baked banana bread.Served with plates forks and napkins but most were just grabbing the sticky, greasy banana bread with their fingers at the game table. My OCD alarms rang but then I smiled. The cards are sleeved.

This is why I sleeve. I appreciate those that only sleeve games that shuffle allot and that makes sense. And some times I laugh when I am spending as much on sleeves as I do a game but for now... I like the security it gives me to serve banana bread at my game table.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
angler wrote:
Served with plates forks and napkins but most were just grabbing the sticky, greasy banana bread with their fingers at the game table.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar: My two sons
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rpickman wrote:
I am conflicted!

I do not always sleeve my cards. I only sleeve when I know that a game contains a lot of shuffling, because this typically means that the cards will begin to show wear unless I protect them.

In the case of Eldritch, I find that there is more shuffling than I expected... especially in the Conditions deck, but also in other decks. However, with Forsaken Lore tossed in, storage is already a bit tight.

For those of you who have sleeved your cards, are you able to store everything easily?

For those of you who haven't sleeved, are you seeing wear on your cards?

Thanks all.


I sleeved the small cards, but it's mainly the conditions and spells which needs to be sleeved. They are shuffled a lot, and you do not want to recognize a specific Dark Pact when it's lying there right in front of you. That would really destroy the fun. Since I sleeved those I decided to try sleeves for everything, but I removed them from the large cards. Sleeves are annoying, and there's no reason to sleeve the large cards. They also make storage a pain in the ass. Besides, I enjoy my games more when I don't worry to much, so I try not to care if the cards gets a little bit worn (not that Eldritch Horror is visibly worn after about 10 games, the cards are decent quality). No one ever notices anyway. A little bit of wear is really just a badge of honor for a game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I started using sleeves when my game of Pandemic 1st Edition got played so much (with On The Brink) that a couple of cards started splitting apart.

With Eldritch Horror I didn't like the cost, but I have trouble shuffling the mini-usa cards. During one riffle shuffle one of the Asset card bent to the point that riffle shuffling would have resulted in a heavy crease. I immediately went to get some premium (thick) sleeves to add strength, and just went for the whole game. I suspect EH will get played a lot, so I might as well.

There are "shuffling" games that I am working on putting into sleeves. For example, I use penny sleeves for Pathfinder Adventure Card Game because of just how much shuffling you constantly do in that game. Same with what little Thunderstone Advance I own. EH condition cards need sleeves as do spells due to this constant shuffling.

Card thickness also is a reason to sleeve. Star Trek Fleet Captains is too thin of a card to stand alone. I think the EH are okay, but they now feel thin to me so I also sleeve them.

My last reason to sleeve is card stickiness. I love Flying Frog Production's quality of cards - they are rather sturdy. That might hamper a riffle shuffle and thus a sleeved deck shuffle is better. Also, they are a bit sticky, so a sleeve improves slippage when shuffling.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not know it was possible to play a game with cards that were not sleeved...whistle

I guess the first step to getting better, is admitting you have a problem...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris [REDACTED]
United States
Arkham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeved all my EH cards. I just like the feel of them better, and they're easier to pick up off the table.

Generally, I sleeve any game that has cards that are kept in hand, or will be shuffled. All it took was one friend at game night pick-pick-picking at a Lords of Waterdeep quest card, trying to get it off the table. Ouch.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Shnar, why do you scan the cards please? Still new to this just wondered why?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Personal preference, I like to have a virtual copy of all my games. Often, it helps when someone is asking a question about XYZ card and when I don't have the game near by (which is often), I can just look it up in my scanned copy. Also, it's nice to have a backup, in case one of my cards gets eaten by the dog. And lastly, the virtual copies help whenever I'm playing a PBF game.

-shnar
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Personal preference, I like to have a virtual copy of all my games. Often, it helps when someone is asking a question about XYZ card and when I don't have the game near by (which is often), I can just look it up in my scanned copy. Also, it's nice to have a backup, in case one of my cards gets eaten by the dog. And lastly, the virtual copies help whenever I'm playing a PBF game.

-shnar


For what it's worth, FFG has stellar customer support re: replacement parts. Even if you lose stuff (i.e. it wasn't missing or damaged when new) they will send replacements (cards/components/whatever), in my experience at least. So let the dog have at it
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boian Spasov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
We are the knights who say...
badge
Ni!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played more than 100 games, probably closer to 150 without sleeves (100 since I started logging but we've played a lot before that). I have a single bent card that would've been bent even with a sleeve. No visible wear, at least none visible to me.

I laugh at your sleeving ways in a friendly, yet condescending manner.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoobyG wrote:
shnar wrote:
Personal preference, I like to have a virtual copy of all my games. Often, it helps when someone is asking a question about XYZ card and when I don't have the game near by (which is often), I can just look it up in my scanned copy. Also, it's nice to have a backup, in case one of my cards gets eaten by the dog. And lastly, the virtual copies help whenever I'm playing a PBF game.

-shnar


For what it's worth, FFG has stellar customer support re: replacement parts. Even if you lose stuff (i.e. it wasn't missing or damaged when new) they will send replacements (cards/components/whatever), in my experience at least. So let the dog have at it

They won't send it if my cards wear down from normal wear and tear

-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
ScoobyG wrote:
shnar wrote:
Personal preference, I like to have a virtual copy of all my games. Often, it helps when someone is asking a question about XYZ card and when I don't have the game near by (which is often), I can just look it up in my scanned copy. Also, it's nice to have a backup, in case one of my cards gets eaten by the dog. And lastly, the virtual copies help whenever I'm playing a PBF game.

-shnar


For what it's worth, FFG has stellar customer support re: replacement parts. Even if you lose stuff (i.e. it wasn't missing or damaged when new) they will send replacements (cards/components/whatever), in my experience at least. So let the dog have at it

They won't send it if my cards wear down from normal wear and tear

-shnar


They sent me a new board for the Game of Thrones board game after it broke, even though I specified that it was purely due to my own ineptitude rather than any manufacturing flaw.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jujo Vee
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Those cards hail from the Twenties so little wear is only appropriate. Some are even aeons old.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.