Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem that I have seen with this otherwise excellent game, is that players delay playing the studio (green) tiles until they can use them, which is generally at the end of the game. As a result, the game is decided by chance, as the player who draws one that he can use will get a leg up on the other players.

I would prefer that the studios are out earlier, so that there is some strategy in connecting to them, and more movies get made.

So the idea is that if one of the tiles that a player draws is a studio, then he must play the studio. This will bring the studios out early and should bring more elements of the game into play.

I hope to try this on Tuesday and the OCGB meeting at the Duck Club. If I do, I will post the results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andrews
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I agree with your analysis of the game (generally excellent, though prone to a little luck). I find that forgivable in a relatively quick game. Using your solution works, though I suggest that the player forced to play a studio tile be permitted to draw and place another tile as well. In my view, it can be a notable disadvantage to draw a studio tile early in the game, and be forced to play it, preventing you from playing the tile(s) you wanted to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried this last night at the Seal Beach Meetup group. I divided the other tile into two stacks, and shuffled the three studios into the bottom half of the stack. Players were required to play a studio if they could. We had one player draw two in the same turn, so one studio was delayed until the second time through the stack.

The game played much differently, with much higher scores. This is an improvement, IMHO.

It is hard to tell with this game, as the play is dependent on which tiles players choose to play. In this game, no Party tiles were put out during the first past thru the deck, and no Party connected to other parts of the board at the end. We also had the Cigars come out early and often.

Will need to try this again. Might shuffle the studios into the complete deck, and require players to play the studio as an extra play when they are drawn.

Dave -

Have you played this way? Couldn't tell from your reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pfeiffer
United States
Surfside Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried this game for the first time this evening (3 players) and I wish that I had seen your idea before we played. Our game wound up scoreless. Not knowing what we were doing we indeed delayed playing the movie tiles until very late and by the time we did it was too late for anyone to score. We will use your idea the next time we play. I know it will improve the game a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pfeiffer
United States
Surfside Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two attempts to play the game using the rule about placing the movie if it is drawn. At least we had better games, although in the first game only 1 movie actually got made. In the second 3 player game I won producing 4 movies , wife Barb produced 3 and her brother who actually produced the only movie in game two failed to produce any. Once you have established some sort of production line you can simply produce a new moviwe every turn or at worst every other turn and there is very little that the other players can do about it. Not sure if this game will ever see the table again. It still ends too quickly and if the draw is bad you could easily wind up with scoreless ties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hamen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Music sucks now....
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to let people I know I just got the game and played the first game of it using the variant suggested here. Our game went really smoothly, and my girlfriend was one turn away from screening her second film, and I had beaten her because I finished two sci-fi flicks early on.

I can see how this game would stagnate if those tiles took a long time to get on the board, and I'm glad someone suggested this. I only have ONE problem with the two player game. The movies' starting prices don't leave much room for ebb and flow. My girlfriend and I were both wishing we could spend beer to negatively influence the movie critic instead of just being able to positively influence him. Would allowing this make that tile too powerful?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that is why they made the mini expansion. With it you can produce pre-release of movies without those movie tiles, and if you get one of those movie
tiles you can keep it and put it on the table later without waiting to cycle all the hexes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.