BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Munchkin: Yey or Ney rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: filler [+] cards [+] [View All]
konrad james
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
I say yey, but I know a lot of BGG's hate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I currently say yay but that's cos I've never played it and got it from a charity shop for £2...Surely most games are worth £2....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You paid two whole pounds for it? shake

I say Ney, he was one of Napoleon's greatest generals. No idea who this Yey person was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Parsons wrote:
You paid two whole pounds for it? shake

I say Ney, he was one of Napoleon's greatest generals. No idea who this Yey person was.

His horse got shot out from under him like four times at Waterloo didn't it? Kudos indeed....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's yay for one play
Then your group says "no way"
So to recoup your pay
You should sell on e-bay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gialmere wrote:
It's yay for one play
Then your group says "no way"
So to recoup your pay
You should sell on e-bay

Then roll in the hay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jokes: Yes
Game: No

The last time I played the game I game a distant third. This was not due to my poor decision making it was due to poor card draws on my part (either no monster or one so powerful I had no chance of defeating) while the other two players kept drawing monsters they were able to defeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A game that's really funny at first, but after hours of praying it will just end it's not so funny any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have said Yey only last week, but after playing it recently I've sworn off it forever. Half an hour: one turn. I know because I only had a half an hour to play and I only got one turn. I had No Thanks and Coloreta (sp?) in my pocket but they had just started to play Space Munchkin with the expansion. I told them I could only stay a half an hour and they said that was okay. I got one turn in.

Later that day when I had a spare 15 minutes I got two games of No Thanks in with my coworkers. That game has just as much screwage as any game of Munchkin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yey!

and yay! With the right group of people this game is fantastic! It's merciless, cutthroat and lots of fun. If your group over-analyzes every move...don't play. It will take to long

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stance Nixon
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To edit what someone else said. The first two times are Okay (maybe). The jokes are good for two or three more plays, and then you might as well put it away for a year. Eventually you'll pull it out and play it again for some more laughs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
Surely most games are worth £2....

You also have to consider the opportunity cost of a game.

The time that you take playing a game is also a cost, as that is time you could have spent playing another game. This is known as an "opportunity cost" in economics.

Even a free game isn't free to play, as you lose the chance to play something else.

My suggestion:
Look through the cards, have a fun 15 minutes reading them and commenting about them with friends, enjoy the humor, then play something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a group with RPG (especially D&D) style backgrounds, and they are willing to laugh at themselves, then this can be a lot of fun.

For normal style people, if they have *any* basic knowledge of martial-arts films, we haul out "Munchkin Fu".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with some of the comments here, fun the first time but that's it. When my group (a few of which are former RPGers) played this, we laughed at the cards and had a great time. After that I bought the first two expansions...which we've never played. I asked about it awhile back and was told that while it was funny, it was too long and the appeal was already gone. I guess that teens might go for it though, I'll have to try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yey on occassion. One way to help with repeated playability is to combine different sets and get more laughs at the different combinations you may get. Like a Super Half Orc Half Halfling Vamiric Thief. That is if you can stand spending the money on the sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time you play, the jokes will be the funniest, but the gameplay will have you consulting the rules and/or FAQ every other minute.

By the second play, you'll have the basic flow of the game down, but will still likely be playing one or two rules wrong.

By the third game, the humor will have lost its freshness, but you should have the mechanics down pat.

After that, it's a fun game to pull out once or twice a year and have a big ol' stab-your-buddy fest. Of course, if you hate card(luck)-driven or backstabbing games anyway, no amount of persuasion will make you like Munchkin.

Personally, I'd rather spend 3 hours playing a game of (hilarious! unpredictable!) Munchkin than a game of (dry! headache-inducing!) Caylus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
caffinedrenchedfrog thegreat
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
such a bad game. ....

and not good bad.....

just bad bad.

jp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A HUGE NAY here. Utterly boring and, as most SJ Games, poor production quality for the price you pay.

Get Bang instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Munchkin depends on puns, in jokes, and low humor. If you don't like those: Nay.

Normal rules: something like 2/3rds of the time you flail for an indefinite period at 1st level, while someone else is probably in the 1/3 and zooms up: Nay.

Fast play rules (4 cards from each deck): the chances are much better of fast advancement and getting to the interesting end game in a decent amount of time: Yea.

Some find it more enjoyable or unacceptable depending on enforcement of the two-point-whatever second rule. Basically, the issue is whether you should, at combat, say something like, "Going once, going twice, going three times..." and if no one has actually put down a card, face up, played, you say, "done," and the combat is successful; OR whether you allow deliberate play, consulting among opponents ("Can you stop him?") etc. Whether the time rule is meant to be taken seriously and puts (possibly unacceptable) time pressure on the opponents, or whether it's just a joke and you can take what time you need--I don't know if any faq has ruled on it. I just know some people feel unacceptably rushed if the rule is taken literally, and some people feel it's cheating to take more time to consider one's move. Since it can take more than two-point-whatever seconds to re-read your cards to see if the intricate Munchkin rules apply in the situation and the attacker(s) have unlimited time, I favor the more time viewpoint, but that's personal taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooky
United States
Canton
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say buy it and try it. You and your group will either love it or hate it. My group loves it, as long as we dont play it all the time. Once a month we break it out and have a good laugh screwing each other over. Its very random and there isnt a lot of thinking involved with it, but it is fun with the right group of people. If you like your games more serious with less RPG gags and puns then you might want to pass on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bunny Duck
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Yeah. Its worth it to get the original, play it a couple of times, and see if you like it. I personally enjoy playing it from time to time. Its the kind of game you will either love or hate. You wont actually know until you try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Space Munchkin once, and have no inclination to play any Munchkin thereafter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I played Super Munchkin and I thought it was great. However, the game really needs more than two players for it to reach its full potential. As a fun filler the game is excellent. However, the game's lack of depth will keep it from being anything more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clark
United States
Holyoke
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strongest possible nay.

The point of Munchkin isn't to play it. The point of Munchkin is to read the jokes, which won't be fresh or original to anyone who's played fantasy RPGs for a while. Once you've done that, you've seen everything the so-called game has to offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.