1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: The pain of assembling the AT-ST.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Not Telling Ya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the game today and am really excited. But I spend nearly 30 minutes trying to push that Cannon into the front of the AT-ST without breaking either the components or my fingers! The latter still hurt... 2 h later!
I had to file the bulges a bit, otherwise I would have definitely broken something.
Am I just too clumsy, or is it a general problem....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C O
msg tools
It's a common issue. I would get some water almost boiling, set the part in a bowl of the water for 10 seconds, remove it and bend it how you need it, then put it in cool water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just make sure you didn't put it in upside down...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted W
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Sight beyond sight!
badge
*Shrug* Wampas, am I right?
mbmbmbmbmb
It took me about 30 minutes to get that darn gun into the AT-ST...

I was considering filing but didn't want to end up with it being loose and falling out later.

I finally took a slim screwdriver and while pushing the gun in, gently pried the thing a bit, all the while worrying about damaging or breaking it.

The barrels of the guns have a bit of that whitish "stressed" plastic look, but are hanging in there, and two days later my thumb still hurts from trying to just push it into place. yuk

I love love love that huge AT-ST, but that gun...grrrrr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used the hot water method but now I have droopy gun syndrome. It appears it isn't tight enough to keep the guns pointing out, they always want to flop to point at the ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LFITQ wrote:
I used the hot water method but now I have droopy gun syndrome. It appears it isn't tight enough to keep the guns pointing out, they always want to flop to point at the ground.

The hot water method worked for me. I poured boiling water directly on to the area carefully. I pushed the gun on and then held the plastic either side of it for a bit.

Perhaps if you immerse it in hot water again and squeeze it for a bit it will firm up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Layman
United States
Davidson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hit it with a hair dryer for 30 seconds and it should pop it easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Imobersteg
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
Heat up some water for tea.

Start steeping tea.

Soak AT-ST parts in left over hot water for 30 seconds.

Put AT-ST together (30 seconds ish)

Bend piece into place however you like and run through cold water.

Enjoy your awesome AT-ST.

Now remove the tea bag or infuser and enjoy your delicious tea!

Total time used: 5 minutes (plus you also now have a tasty warm beverage)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the hair dryer trick as well.. Worked great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
30 years of weightlifting, brutal physical pain, injuries, cold iron, relentless determination, aching bones, tortured muscles, committed diet, occasional bleeding, bursting lungs, calloused hands and I pushed that gun into place in less than 10 seconds, a truly olympic achievement.

May the force be with you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott aka SuperRadScott aka
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gun on the table;
Pushed the head of the AT-ST into the gun;
A little force (pun intended); and
POP! Nice and snug.

That was after ten minutes of trying to be Good Cop to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Console gaming must have over developed my finger muscles. Took about a minute to wrestle that thing in. Not easy though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Cervantes
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I find these stories to not be representative of my experience. I as of now assembled 4 AT-STs without even the slightest bit of difficulty. Completely without the use of hot water, hair dyers, or any other method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andr0ss wrote:
I find these stories to not be representative of my experience. I as of now assembled 4 AT-STs without even the slightest bit of difficulty. Completely without the use of hot water, hair dyers, or any other method.

That's ironic, I've assembled 4 as well, and all of them it was very, very hard to get that gun in. I felt like I was going to break something before it finally snapped in.

-shnar

P.S. On a side note, it looks like if you put it in upside down, it will rotate a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evilturnip wrote:

Then you will freak out at this gargantuan AT-STs,which come prepainted and preassembled surprise:

It doesn`t get any better than this!laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure it does, a better paint job? I've never liked the paints on WotC's games, I'm soooo grateful this game comes unpainted. I'd much rather have unpainted minis than crappily painted ones. (I'm still amazed at the paint jobs on Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game, but I highly doubt we'd get equal quality on these ones).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Sure it does, a better paint job? I've never liked the paints on WotC's games, I'm soooo grateful this game comes unpainted. I'd much rather have unpainted minis than crappily painted ones. (I'm still amazed at the paint jobs on Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game, but I highly doubt we'd get equal quality on these ones).

-shnar

Nothing wrong with these AT-STs. unlike the one with the stubby legs from FFG, is that even an AT-ST, one may wonder...
They come unpainted to save money at your expense and the marketing is done for them by fanboys like you, who are even "grateful" for this...shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Sherdon
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mb
The Jakster wrote:
Evilturnip wrote:

Then you will freak out at this gargantuan AT-STs,which come prepainted and preassembled surprise:

It doesn`t get any better than this!laugh

Those look great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andr0ss wrote:

How's bragging camp going?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McFarland
United States
Shelton
Washington
flag msg tools
The Jakster wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Nothing wrong with these AT-STs. unlike the one with the stubby legs from FFG, is that even an AT-ST, one may wonder...
They come unpainted to save money at your expense and the marketing is done for them by fanboys like you, who are even "grateful" for this...shake

I don't like the WOTC models either, never have. Given the choice, I'll always paint my own over bad prepaints. Card carrying fanboy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kozlowski
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I, uh, guess I had a lot of geekgold?
mbmbmbmbmb
So if you look at the "pegs" inside, it's clear that what's supposed to happen is that they start flush with the side at the bottom, and then angle outward, so there's a slope to slide the gun up from the bottom, right.

On mine, one of them was like this; the other one protruded out on the bottom (more like just a straight-up round peg), so that there was a ridge that kept the gun from sliding up the angle.

After ten minutes of fruitlessly trying to get the gun in as-is, I got out a knife and pared the peg down so that it was angled like it should be. Slide in nicely, stays snugly, so I'd recommend that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't use hot water or anything but I spent 25-30 minutes trying to get it in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noodles
United States
greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mine wouldn't go in and I accidentally broke the gun in the process of trying to push it in. I'm pretty annoyed by it. I've been wondering if a replacement was possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Sherdon
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mb
blkdymnd wrote:
The Jakster wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

I don't like the WOTC models either, never have. Given the choice, I'll always paint my own over bad prepaints. Card carrying fanboy!

If you like to pay more for less, be my guest...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
noodlemans wrote:
Mine wouldn't go in and I accidentally broke the gun in the process of trying to push it in. I'm pretty annoyed by it. I've been wondering if a replacement was possible.

You'll have to ask a urologist.

Ba-da-boom-kssh! Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.