Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Thompson
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Staring Gambits

Assasin gambit: Start fairly close to a hunter. Most of the time, a hunter will spend the first two turns grabbing equiptment if he has any brains at all. If you can drop an agent (spesificly in the east) with say, a gun and a knife and fight a hunter who didn't get a gun or a knife for early equiptment, you might even take him out before he can do anything,or at least cripple him so drac can take him out during nightfall. I can't overstate the importance of agents - they are brutally good. This sort of option works best when the hunters make the foolish mistake of putting one guy in eastern europe, particualrly if it's not Godalming.

No move gambit: During the first couple turns, the hunters are certain to grab a bunch of event cards so they can pick up your trail initially. Those newspaper reports are there best chance of finding your trail, but they don't reveal dracula's actual city - ever. One possibility is simply not to move in the first few turns by using dark call, feed, and hide, making you immune to newspaper reports for the first couple turns. Every newspaper report that does nothing is one less you'll have to deal with that game, and another event pull for the hunter (which of course means cards for you). This is particualrly effective when your starting in the west - most hunters figure you wandering around in eastern europe, and after a few turns of basic searching will run off to eastern europe, either to close it off with hosts or search the area.

Fools Errand: One possibility is to follow along in a hunters footsteps, one or two behind him. Most hunters don't double back too often. Of course, if they get a newspaper it's trouble. The other possiiblity of course - this start is fairly easy to turn into an assasins gambit.

I hate daylight: If I have a vampire (or even two) sitting around on position 4 or 5 and it's getting to the wee hours of the morning, I'll consider jumping to sea to freeze the clock so dawn doesn't come till the vamp's matured. New Vampires are VERY hard to kill at night, and I'll happily pay a blood so I can mature them.

Wolf Form: By all means, use wolf form at the begging or middle of nightfall in the first day, it moves the trail track twice (unless I've totally misread the rules) allowing for faster vampires maturation.

Do NOT knock Italy: Italy is a perfectly viable strategy - you bascially walk to the end of the peninsulae and take a short swim - the players may find it difficult to know which sea you go to from there unless they find the money trail. You can take indirect routes and use wolf form or double back to further confuse the players.

Ambulence Chasers: If I'm running Drac in eastern europe, one thing I like to do if I have an agent heavy hand is to walk towards the hospital, leaving some minions just sitting out there for a newly emerged hunter. (hurrah for catacombs) If I take someone out, it's sometimes possible to ambush them just as they leave the hospital, more or less unarmed. Even if you don't kill them, your likely to do some significant damage on em.

Sister Agnes: Save your dark power cards for her and hypnosis. Few others are as bad as this one. One of the nastiest situations I ever was in was a fight against Van Helsing armed with 2 Crusifixes with Agnes watching on. It was pretty much a slow death by attrition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Fugitive_Unknown wrote:
Wolf Form: By all means, use wolf form at the begging or middle of nightfall in the first day, it moves the track twice (unless I've totally misread the rules, allowing for faster vampires maturation.

You have misread the rules. When you use Wolf Form, you don't place the card for the city you skip over. You never go there at all. Thus, the time track will only move once.

There is an event card which will allow Dracula to make two moves in one turn, which will give the effect you are looking for, but you have to get the card before that is an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think that Dracula should always use wolf form, at some point every night. For the cost of one blood, it expands the area the hunters must search, and makes them a lot more misdirected and paranoid. One of my favorite gambits if the hunters grow close is to play Wolf Form with Hide, and watch them all scurry off away from where I actually am.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Thompson
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
[q="WraithYou have misread the rules. When you use Wolf Form, you don't place the card for the city you skip over. You never go there at all. Thus, the time track will only move once. [/q]

I know you don't play the city you skip over, but don't you play the wolf card as well? (thus taking up two tracks on the trail?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Fugitive_Unknown wrote:
I know you don't play the city you skip over, but don't you play the wolf card as well? (thus taking up two tracks on the trail?)

The location card you play goes on top of the Wolf Form card, the same as when you play Double Back.

Looking back at the rules, I realise that they aren't explicit concerning this point. They say that Wolf Form is played "along with a facedown Location card", which I suppose could be interpreted as meaning "one after the other, in consecutive spots in the track", but I'd be much more inclined to interpret it in the way I described. I believe it is usually interpreted that way by others as well. The FAQ does not clarify.

If you care to, you could ask FFG about this. They are fairly good about responding to this sort of question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manoel Salles
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fugitive_Unknown wrote:
Staring Gambits

No move gambit

Once the Hunters get more experienced, they will only start drawing events when they´re sure that Dracula has made a move. Since Dracula does not get to place an encounter in his starting location, standing still is pretty counter-productive to maturing an early vampire (which is, to my mind, one of the prerequisites for winning).

Quote:

One possibility is to follow along in a hunters footsteps, one or two behind him.

This can work well against Mina (a tasty 2 points), especially in the opening turn if she´s left unattended and doesn´t embark as soon as nightfall comes.

Quote:
I'll consider jumping to sea to freeze the clock so dawn doesn't come till the vamp's matured.

This is a great strategy to maximize the vampire´s potential for maturing, but:

Quote:
New Vampires are VERY hard to kill at night, and I'll happily pay a blood so I can mature them.

There´s nothing really hard about killing a vampire at night - a 50% dice roll and a (common) item.

However, you might be misreading the rules - you don´t need to kill it to get rid of it. The vampire chit will get discarded whether the hunter wins the roll (and discards a knife or stake) or not - if he loses the roll, all it takes is a crucifix or a host to cancel out the bite, and the chit still gets returned to the pool. Even if he does get bitten, I would say it´s preferrable to the vampire maturing.

So, while your strategy of going to sea to freeze the clock is a good one in that it maximizes the potential damage a vampire will do, it´s nowhere near a foolproof solution - there isn´t one.

Quote:
Do NOT knock Italy: Italy is a perfectly viable strategy

This is true until the Hunters get more experienced and your group realizes the incredible power of Stormy Seas. Italy is more often a trap than not - if not for the potentially dangerous seas, then for the funnel going up.

Quote:

Sister Agnes: Save your dark power cards for her and hypnosis. Few others are as bad as this one.

While I agree that Sister Agatha is the most powerful Hunter Ally, generally speaking, I think Devilish Power (there are only 2 of them in the deck, and the deck almost never gets refreshed) should be saved for more urgent circumstances - for instance, a game-ending Stormy Seas (there are plenty of those), or as a cancel-cancel method (suppose you just drew a critical Evasion and the Hunters use Good Luck).

In any case, you have some nice ideas.

It has been my experience, however, that the less risks a Dracula takes, the better for him - there are very few risks worth taking in this game, and the choices are usually pretty clear. Trying to be ´fancy´ against very experienced Hunters will, more often than not, result in a loss for Dracula.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.