Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
------------------------------ Side Bar ----------------------------------
Odd to start a review with a side bar but...

One of the nice things about the ATS system is that if you aren't interested in this ATS title just pick another. Each one is a complete game with no need to buy anything else!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Some of the information here in echoes information in other reviews, but is here for completeness.)

ATS (Advanced Tobruk System) is a squad / individual tank and gun level tactical wargame. ATS is roughly derived from the AH classic Tobruk. It is not quite so much "Yahtzee in the Desert" as the original game. Through out ATS you will see its heritage, but you will also see that it has borrowed from other squad level games. ATS is definitely its own game, and plays differently than other games at the same level. (People who say that ATS is merely a knock off of Another Squad Level game have not really looked at or played ATS. If it was, there wouldn't be at least 10 different modules and 7 expansion packs! And more coming!!)

ATS:Tobruk is the desert module for the game system. This includes primarily the fight in 1942, but also battles before that time. The British and the Germans and Italians are represented. This is a game for tankers! Infantry ain't much fun when there ain't no cover for another forty miles!!!

Why is ATS:Tobruk fun? As stated above, ATS:T is a game for tankers. ATS:T retains the detailed minitures feel of the original Toburk. Each armored vehicle has different armors for its Front, Flank and Rear aspects. For tanks each of these has three different values, Turret, Upper Hull and Lower Hull. (Non-turreted have only Upper and Lower Hull.) All of the armor values are totally independent of each other so even for a Front hit, you might see very different armor values. The StuG IIIg, for example, has Flank armor of 3 and 3, but rear Upper Hull of 3 and Lower Hull of 6. Track hits occur 1 out of 10 times on the Hit Location Chart. Gun hits are possible but much less likely than the original game.

The rules are very accessible. Yes, there are 60 pages of rules, but you can pretty easily pick and choose what rules you need. All of the rules are easy to understand and apply. OBA and Aircraft come alive in ATS. If you are someone who is not good at picking and choosing rules to use, buy "ATS BG:I" or "ATS BG:II". Each of these modules contain subsets of the rules and once you learn these they can be applied to full ATS. I think if you are interested in AFV combat Tobruk is a great module. For tank versus tank there are basically two tables: The Hit Table, and the Penetration Table. Each hex costs one to enter, then when you want to fire find these two tables. The current version of the rules (3.x) is much, much better than the 1.x series of rules.

The scenarios include updates of the original nine Tobruk scenarios. Included with the game are a total of 24 scenarios! As stated above, most of the scenarios are tank versus tank affairs. There are some that are primarily infantry versus infantry, and even one that pits three armored cars versus three armored cars.

If you liked the original Tobruk, you should investigate ATS:Tobruk!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I discovered ATS a few weeks back.
Of course I knew it existed but my shop had a copy of Mannerheim's Cross. Despite the price I bought it and am verz happy with it.

I describe the game as the Steel Panthers compter game, going cardboard. I love the fact that you can customize the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.