Hide
3 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about obtaining Spells and Skillpoints. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Big
msg tools
Hey guys, first time posting. I searched far and wide for this to no avail. So here goes:

After letting my friend be the keeper for the Inner Sanctum story, which ended up horribly. He summoned 2 Shogoths, 5 cultists, 2 zombies and 2 Hounds. Twas impossible for us, but nonetheless. During our unbearable game, we felt a bit...weak. This is when we began to question the process, if any, on how to obtain spell cards and skill points in addition to those handed at the beginning of the game.

For spell cards, I seem to recollect an exploration card that permits players to learn spells, is this the only method possible? How many spells can a player wield or "learn"?

Do investigators have any option to require skill points? For example, skipping a turn perhaps?

Thank you so much!

P.S: We already read about the Inner Sanctum house rules afterwards...bummer. Ha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you can learn new Spells by finding Tome Exploration cards. I think most scenarios at least have one or two seeded somewhere. There's no limit to the number of Spells you can have, but each Tome can only be used once.

Some investigators have starting items or special abilities that let them gain new skill points. For instance, one of Joe Diamond's OPGs lets him gain Skill Points when he finds a Clue, and Jenny can choose to start with Isabel's Letter, which gives her more skill points when she runs out.

The main way to become stronger is through picking up the items that are seeded randomly. There are a lot of duds in the base game, but some powerful ones too. It's usually a good idea to have Michael McGlenn or someone who's good at monster-hunting, especially in Inner Sanctum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matěj Jan Morávek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inner Sanctum is considered misbalanced by most people - usual fix is to restrict the Summon Worshippers to one cultist per altar per turn. But even with this fix, the best strategy is to choose "killer team" - Michael with Tommy gun, Joe with Gun, Harvey with Shrivelling. And kill everything as fast as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.