Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Smits
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After I got two lieutenant packs and a bunch of paint for Descent. I happily started painting them for the first time. At the time I was sure that I would get the Descent base game at Essen.

Then FFG announced Imperial Assault.

So Descent was immediately dropped from my wishlist (the fact that I am suck with two 'useless' painted minis now is not that bad)

Last week I finally got IA and after opening the box and admiring all of it's components. I looked at what colors of paint I had matched with the colors I would need for these minis.

And lo and behold:

Darth Vader and the Imperial Guards!

I use Vallejo paint.
I first based everything with regular Black (Not fun, I plan on getting a spray can of primer next time I visit my FLGS)
Then I just covered the robes of the imperial guards with Flat Red until I was happy with how the color covered the base. A simple stripe of Glossy Black for the visor and Silver for the sticks and they were done. A simple stripe of red for two of them to distinguish to what squad they belonged.

I was a bit nervous about the Dark Lord himself at first. But he was much easier then I anticipated and I am really happy with the results.
I covered him with Black until he was completely covered. Then I just painted the helmet, the chest armor and box, codpiece, Chin Guards and leather gloves in a layer of Glossy Black. Then I painted the lightsaber and buttons on the chest box in Flat Red. And finally I painted the lines on the chest armor and the visible parts of the light saber in Natural Steel.

So? What do you guys think for a first timer?
I know that officially the Imperial Guard helmets ares also glossy. But I don't know how much that would really add to the miniature. Besides I already have a wishlist of 12 new colors and a can of spray primer to get.

Ps. There are some more pictures of this little project on my profile, if people are interested in that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Where were you hiding when the storm broke?
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great!

You should look at a video for "washes" sometime. Really easy to do and would add a little depth to stuff like royal guard robes (and, well, everything. It feels like cheating most of the time!)

I can't wait to paint these myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, a light brown wash would make those royal guards pop. The Royal Guards are really good for learning how to do shades, since it's pretty much just one color. Base it in red, do a brownish red wash, then highlight in red again and viola.

Vader looks good. FFG did just a good job with that figure.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Smits
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmm I watched This video on washing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlJVubeExvk

I am unsure. I mean I don't really want that fake-y shiny look on all minis. I think I'm first gonna base all 36 minis and then look at the washes again. Maybe I should visit the local miniatures painting night to get some tips and stuff.

Now to find a way to save these minis, cause I'm unsure just tossing em into the box will cut it

Also, anyone have any ideas for the probe droids? Or would just painting them black cut it? Maybe make the lens glossy black and that's it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sly master9 wrote:
Hmm I watched This video on washing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlJVubeExvk

I am unsure. I mean I don't really want that fake-y shiny look on all minis. I think I'm first gonna base all 36 minis and then look at the washes again. Maybe I should visit the local miniatures painting night to get some tips and stuff.

Now to find a way to save these minis, cause I'm unsure just tossing em into the box will cut it

Also, anyone have any ideas for the probe droids? Or would just painting them black cut it? Maybe make the lens glossy black and that's it?

I can't see that video at work right now. But a wash shouldn't look any more shiny than other paint, if you make it out of regular paint.

the shininess of a mini will depend on what you clear coat it with after.

But that' raises another question: did you seal them with something? Acrylics will just chip/rub off if you don't.

the tldr version of sealing is gloss coat is stronger, but then you can put a little matte coat of top to keep them from being shiny.

edit: and a hobby store should have a fairly cheap foam tray you could keep them in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You *must* put some kind of sealant on it, or the paint rubs away very fast. The wash does *not* make it glossy, the sealant does. The wash is just more paint. It might look glossy when putting on because it's wet, but once it dries, it's very dull. There are two types of sealants, glossy and matte. If you don't want the "shine", use a matte sealant.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benwax123 wrote:
And consider a gloss paint for the light sabers! I mixed 3 enamel colors together directly on my recently posted "15 Min Vader" and I think it pops out like a glowing saber should.
Keep up the good work!
Ben

15 min Vader
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Smits
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also another tip from my side. If you really want the minis to be as movie accurate as possible. Use the websites of the "501st Legion" and the "Rebel Legion". These are the official Star Wars cosplayers fanclub and have accurate and very detailed costuming descriptions for everyone from the Star Wars universe you can imagine.

Did you know that the top button on Vader's chestbox was green in ANH and dark blue in ESB and ROTJ? I didn't until I looked on there

Hmm, so matte sealant, spray can of primer and the base colors you need.

And a black wash would add detail to the figures without changing the look too much?

I am still hesitant on using wash on the Stormies when I get to them. I thought just Glossy white would be enough for that classic 'perfect polished' look. I don't really want them grey-ish/realistic I think

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally you want a wash that's either the same color but darker so that it adds shadows, or one that's the color of whatever's underneath, or whatever dirt/grime/rust whatever might be in the cracks. So with the guards, a dark red or brown wash would look the best. black would make it look . . . maybe more like a comic drawing or something if done right (or dumb if done wrong haha.)

With the sealant . . . gloss and then matte might be the best bet since these are probably going to be handled a lot. gloss is hardier.

yeah storm troopers . . . I don't know exactly what the model looks like. Painting so much white over black sounds like a chore, but probably the best way to get the armor. (I'd be inclined to put a heavy black wash over white paint to be lazy.) Then however much roughing up you want. Someone posted some really great looking ones in the gallery with a lot of wear and grunge on the armor. But the classic look done right will look good too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of sealants, GW's 'ardcoat is a glossy sealant. Anyone know if they make a matte sealant?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Smits
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I plan on just using primer from a can for the rest of the figures (that first layer of black is really not fun, I get impatient and ruin my brush)

Then for the stormies I just (after priming) cover them in Glossy
White until I think they look good, then just use Black to fill out the 'cloth' details of their costume and Glossy black for their helmets ( their guns will either be glossy black or just black, I'm not sure yet). Do that 9 times and you have 3 quads of 3 stormies. Plus 2 more times for the E-Web Engineers

Do you guys have any suggestions for what to use for sealant? Preferably from the Vallejo and Citadel lines as those are the easiest available to me? I saw a can of varnish on my FLGS' website, but 1. I'm not sure that's what you guys mean and 2. That's another 13 bucks. I rather spend that money on getting 4 colors I want for the other minis. I'll just put off on playing the game until I can afford sealant/varnish, and keep the figures neatly on a shelf where nothing can harm the paint

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
do you have "Krylon" there? they have good sealant spray.

Guns I'd definitely do matte black.

You should just be using a crappy brush for priming, it doesn't take anything special. (well I guess it might be depending on the plastic. I've been doing mostly metal which is easy to prime fast with a brush.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Move on to your other miniatures!

Sure, you could keep messing around with these mini's, but they're fine for tabletop. Once you get more experience, you can go back to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Smits
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Move on to your other miniatures!

Sure, you could keep messing around with these mini's, but they're fine for tabletop. Once you get more experience, you can go back to them.

Yea, I think I'm gonna do that.

I'm gonna buy the can of primer and the dozens or so of colors I want for the rest of my minis. That should keep me busy until pay day, so I can afford the can of sealant and then we can finally play this game.

And it'll look amaaaazing too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.