4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: So how old are boardgame/wargame cafes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M Harold Page
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi folks - My home city of Edinburgh now has two gaming cafes, one for wargaming, the other for board games and RPGs. This is a fairly new thing in Scotland - last 5 years as far as I can see. However, apparently this is well established in the rest of the world.

I was wondering if anybody can throw some light on for how long this has been going on?

Much gratitude in advance... MHP

(Reason for asking - writing an article for www.blackgate.com)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mharoldpage wrote:
how long this has been going on?
Café de la Régence in Paris opened in 1681 and became a chess centre in the middle of the 18th century.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fielmann wrote:
mharoldpage wrote:
how long this has been going on?
Café de la Régence in Paris opened in 1681 and became a chess centre in the middle of the 18th century.

ninja Beat me to it, that's exactly what I was thinking of when I read the subject line!

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my hometown in Western Canada we had a boardgame cafe during the mid-nineties. A few of the game/comic shops might also have counted because they served drinks and snacks while you used their tables to game.

Is there recent growth? Yes, certainly. What other sources have you considered?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.