15 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: Includes Artful Dodger Now? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Bateman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed there are a couple mentions around here (including the main page for the Artful Dodger expansion) that Artful Dodger is now included with the main game. What I'm wondering is, how can we tell which version of the base set we're gonna be getting? If I buy it at a board game shop, is there some indication on the outside of the box whether AD is included? If I buy it online, are some sources more likely to have the newer version with AD included than others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing you're referring to the following from the Artful Dodger's main page:
Quote:
"It is only obtainable in two ways. Originally it was released as a promo with issue #162 of GMT (Game Trade Magazine), but it is now included as standard in the English First Edition (Larger Box) Version of Firefly: The Game and in the German Deluxe Edition.

It was also available to buy for a short period from the Gale Force Nine LLC website (Firefly: The Game's Publisher)."

I'm a bit confused by this as well, but I think the "English First Edition" must be referring to the UK release of the game. Only Firefly box I've seen here in the U.S. is the square one we've got--no Dodger. Furthermore, I understand that it will only be available in the U.S. via online retailers. It is a promo item after all. Right now, it still looks like it's backed up in the pre-order stage at several online retailers.

I don't know the ins and outs of producing a game like this, but GF9 hit a grand slam with this one and with Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery. I've never watched the show Spartacus, but only played the game, and it's a lot of fun. I'm guessing that neither of these will ever receive the world-wide attention that some other hot titles receive, due either or both to the fact that it's a lesser known publisher and the fact that both are themed after television shows. The latter fact alone is often a downer.

So, I just hope that GF9 continues to print this amazing game and its extras like the Artful Dodger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Alexander
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Artful Dodger was included in the UK version of the game. The UK version has a rectangular box; the US version has a square box.

The Artful Dodger is also now being sold in a booster pack with additional components not found in the UK core game, however, so you may be better off just buying the U.S. edition and then spending $12-$15 on the booster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Bateman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinA wrote:

The Artful Dodger is also now being sold in a booster pack with additional components not found in the UK core game, however, so you may be better off just buying the U.S. edition and then spending $12-$15 on the booster.

What are the additional components?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Bateman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, that's not bad. And I expect the larger ship card is the thicker cardstock and not the more flimsy material that people were complaining about before?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
dbolyard wrote:
I'm guessing you're referring to the following from the Artful Dodger's main page:
Quote:
"It is only obtainable in two ways. Originally it was released as a promo with issue #162 of GMT (Game Trade Magazine), but it is now included as standard in the English First Edition (Larger Box) Version of Firefly: The Game and in the German Deluxe Edition.

It was also available to buy for a short period from the Gale Force Nine LLC website (Firefly: The Game's Publisher)."

I'm a bit confused by this as well, but I think the "English First Edition" must be referring to the UK release of the game. Only Firefly box I've seen here in the U.S. is the square one we've got--no Dodger. Furthermore, I understand that it will only be available in the U.S. via online retailers. It is a promo item after all. Right now, it still looks like it's backed up in the pre-order stage at several online retailers.

I don't know the ins and outs of producing a game like this, but GF9 hit a grand slam with this one and with Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery. I've never watched the show Spartacus, but only played the game, and it's a lot of fun. I'm guessing that neither of these will ever receive the world-wide attention that some other hot titles receive, due either or both to the fact that it's a lesser known publisher and the fact that both are themed after television shows. The latter fact alone is often a downer.

So, I just hope that GF9 continues to print this amazing game and its extras like the Artful Dodger.

It just became available online on Amazon a few days ago. Only being shipped from UK retailers for now. I just ordered one this morning and the delivery estimate has it up to 1 month to arrive. But I order from Amazon a lot and suspect it will only be a couple weeks.

Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OVZ67J8/ref=oh_aui_detai...

Kind of expensive at $15.68, but part of that is shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Bateman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did happen to see that earlier today, but I didn't look closely enough to notice those added components. I must say, the die really ups the ante for me. I like the color of it a lot more than the one that comes with the main game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Murthwaite
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered the game I ust before Christmas, specifically looking for the U.K. edition with the Artful Dodger included. However when it arrived I was disappointed to find that I was sent the U.S. edition. However, having since ordered and received the Artful Dodger booster, I'm glad that I got the U.S. version.

The Artful Dodger booster comes in a lovely box, that is perfect for storing little bags of all the items a captain needs to start (money, fuel, parts etc.), speeding game set up considerably.

All the components are the same quality as the rest of the game and the additional Drive Core card means you don't have to dig one out it the decks.

As for the matching colour die, I see from the U.K. Firefly game FaceBook page that there should be a dice pack released some time this year to give all the other ships a matching coloured die

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, you already got your Artful Dodger?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Murthwaite
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered from here on 28th December (it arrived on 5th January):

http://boardgameextras.co.uk/item.php?id=26484&name=Firefly+...

Guess they had stock early?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Alexander
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine arrived today. (I ordered via Amazon just after Christmas.) Unfortunately, it's probably going to be a few days before we can play with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
official firefly store (US) added the artful dodger today, but the pictures don't show the new box or dice. Thanks for updating GF9!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anevil giraffe
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is the Artful Dodger the only difference between the square box and rectangular box? Looking to pick this up, and the square edition is usually much cheaper...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The extra space is worth the extra cost if you are planning to get the expansions especially as the Artful Dodger is already in the big box.

I'd check the cost of the Artful Dodger stand alone against the saving of going for the smaller box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.