Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Planet Maker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Sen
msg tools
Planet Maker/Terra Planeta/Stella Erratica/Gaia/Astro Terra/Habitus(I am still playing with names)is a board game where you are an ancient alien race which has developed its technology to the point where it can create and terraform planets. Your mission is to build habital planets for other races so that you can get better tech and resources. But watch out each race has its own preferences and needs in terms of environment! So you must plan ahead and create planets that fulfill it's requirements for its race. You'll need to manage your resources wisely in order to fulfill all contracts!

There are different type of planets you can create: Ice/Snow, Desert, Water, Gaseous, Lava, Volcanic, Terrestrial, etc.

As well as differen sizes: Asteroid, Moon, Small, Dwarf, Medium, Super, Giant, Super Giant.

I am a noob when it comes to game design. I am more of a graphic artist than a game designer. I could use some help in the game and numbers/ratio aspect. Is there an easy way to develop the game? Prehaps re-theming of another game? Does any one know of any similar games? I could use some sort of reference or direction, as there seems like there are so many possiblities it can take. (O_O)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Most game designers start out by making variants or extensions for existing games rather than making new games from scratch; that way, anything you don't explicitly change just kind of works automatically, and you can focus on one or a few aspects of the game at a time. I spent many happy hours as a kid inventing new alien powers for Cosmic Encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
Most game designers start out by making variants or extensions for existing games rather than making new games from scratch; that way, anything you don't explicitly change just kind of works automatically, and you can focus on one or a few aspects of the game at a time. I spent many happy hours as a kid inventing new alien powers for Cosmic Encounter.

Sez you. I think far more start out with their own designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I confess my evidence is anecdotal. If you know of any polls on the topic, feel free to share...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Renshall

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zengoku wrote:

I am a noob when it comes to game design. I am more of a graphic artist than a game designer. I could use some help in the game and numbers/ratio aspect. Is there an easy way to develop the game? Prehaps re-theming of another game? Does any one know of any similar games? I could use some sort of reference or direction, as there seems like there are so many possiblities it can take. (O_O)

Sadly no, there is no easy way to design a game other than put in the time. You could try a re-theme of a current game, but you might run into problems when you get to testing where the math or mechanics break for your particular theme and since you are not familiar with the math used to create the original, you might not be able to find an answer to the problem without having to do the work yourself anyway.

Some questions for you. How long (in your mind) are you willing to work on this design? Are you ok with starting at small pieces of your design and building the game with smaller piece? Do you have a particular mechanic that interests you?

I have found a problem with starting with a whole game as a reference point means I am trying to dissect an entire game, use the parts I need and I end up throwing out 3/4 of the game I was referencing in the first place. I have taken to starting with my own stuff early and building the game up and letting it grow into the game it wants to become.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.