John Curran
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be curious to hear what about anyone's experience with the solo and 2-player variants for Founding Fathers. Are the mechanics similar to those for Republic of Rome, which inspired the base game?

In my opinion, the Republic of Rome 2-player & solo variant are pretty weak, with obscure and incomplete rules, and game play that allows very little player choice, but with lots of bookkeeping.

I am intrigued by FF but it's the sort of game I will struggle to get to the table with 3+ players (once every 2 years seems optimistic!) so the quality of the 2-player and solo variants are important to me. I would like to use the 2-player version to help sell other players on the regular game -- how does it seem from that point of view?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a fan of Republic of Rome, but I love this time period and would love to know about the solo rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm curious as well. I'm having a hard time cracking open the wallet without seeing some reviews of how the solo rules play first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
j3rm wrote:

I'm curious as well. I'm having a hard time cracking open the wallet without seeing some reviews of how the solo rules play first.

Well, I broke down and bought Founding Fathers and the O&S expansion. I'm working through a solo multi-player game at the moment; going to try the expansion's solo rules after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mimem wrote:
I'd be curious to hear what about anyone's experience with the solo and 2-player variants for Founding Fathers. Are the mechanics similar to those for Republic of Rome, which inspired the base game?
Somewhat. The solitaire version creates a two-party and hence two-player situation with the human player taking on a virtual player. Kyle Seely authored some comments about this version at
http://goo.gl/kNbgzI (GameBox site)

Quote:
I am intrigued by FF but it's the sort of game I will struggle to get to the table with 3+ players (once every 2 years seems optimistic!) so the quality of the 2-player and solo variants are important to me. I would like to use the 2-player version to help sell other players on the regular game -- how does it seem from that point of view?
The two-player version is pretty much the same game as the multi-player except of course they cooperate a lot less, maybe only when the Republic itself is endangered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can find a solitaire sample game here:
http://upandawaygames.com/FoundingFathers//playback/
With pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.