Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The river cannot u-turn at all at any time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember reading an FAQ somewhere that said it just stopped "immediate" U-turns.

However, we've always played "no u-turns of any sort" and can't being ourselves to adjust

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This issue has been kicked to death several times, but imho, this series of exchanges is the most comprehensive answer with cute little diagrams to illustrate the point;

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/751517#751517

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read that series of posts previously. The rules state: "a river tile may not be placed so that the river makes a "U" turn." I've played hundreds of Carc games and I have never had an issue with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
It's quite simple if you just remember that the spirit of the rule is that you should not place a river tile in such a way that it will ever become impossible to continue the river.

More formally:

Aldaron's Rules Summary* wrote:
A river tile may only be placed adjacent to another river tile if it extends the river from that tile (only). A tile may not be placed if it could prevent any subsequently drawn river tiles from meeting this requirement.

* Posted on my website and on BGG:
http://www.aldaron.com/sciencegames/carcassonne/ (PDF)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=18007

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's quite simple if you just remember that the spirit of the rule is that you should not place a river tile in such a way that it will ever become impossible to continue the river.

I am in complete agreement. I guess I never played with people that would place a tile in such manner as to cause eventual placement issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, you may place right-straight-right in the official computer game. The only thing forbidden is an immediate u-turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
U-turns for traffic are usually defined by an "immediate 180" while a "right, straight, right" is "two 90 degree turns", or "two right turns", not "a U-turn".

Personally, I don't think that the rule is vague at all. In regards to your traffic example, I often drive on divided highways. So, in essence if I were to U-turn on a divided highway, I would turn left, drive straight for a bit, and then turn left again. This is still a U-turn. The traffic example you give also leaves much to be desired by definition (what is immediate?).

The rules explicitly state no U-turns, so my take is that regardless of how many intervening pieces there are, you can't bend the river back on itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DAVID MERCER
United States
Spanish Fort
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreadnaut wrote:
The rules explicitly state no U-turns, so my take is that regardless of how many intervening pieces there are, you can't bend the river back on itself.

That is my take on it, too.thumbsup

I don't see why people want rivers bending back on themselves, anyway. If they want to minimize the spread of the river, why play with it at all? I want the river to flow right down the middle of my map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
IOW, your take is that no matter how long the block, turning right and turning right again is a U-turn even if it puts you on a different road?

Or that going West in New York, then South to Virginia, then East to the shore is a U-turn?

By that logic wouldn't circling the block be no turn at all?

By definition (taken from Webster.com), a u-turn is "a turn resembling the letter U". So, yes, your example would be an example of a u-turn (albeit on a large scale). You could have a "right" turn of the river and then several straight river tiles between, the next river turn tile you placed would have to be placed as a "left" turn. You could not do a "right" turn because that would bend the river back on itself, which is illegal.

Circling the block would be a circle and not a u-turn. Of course you could think of it is multiple u-turns, one after another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're circle comment also gave me an idea. A circle is a circle. So if I drive south from Ohio to Tennessee, then east from Tennesse to Virginia, North from Virginia to Pennsylvania, and then Pennsylvania back to Ohio, I have completed a circle (regardless of scale). Similarly, a u-turn is a u-turn (regardless of what preconceived notions you have placed on how "large" a u-turn is allowed to be).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.