Jon Purkis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
youtube.com/c/actualol
badge
Actualol Board Game Videos
mbmb
This is an untested idea inspired by the game CS Files (which I'm also yet to play), it sounds good in my head, but feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

The jist of CS Files (check out Tom Vasel's review) is there's a forensics guy trying to silently communicate the hidden killer by suggesting concepts that loosely relate to the murder weapons/location. The beauty is that the killer is in the group trying to influence their reading of the clues without giving himself away. Think Concept meets The Resistance.

Well, couldn't that work with Mysterium? Probably would need 4/5+ players.

I haven't worked out the logistics of how the hidden role would be allocated, whether it would require additional components but surely it couldn't be too hard.

So, the killer is allocated a character, a location and a weapon. The ghost knows them too.

Then, it is the ghost's job to try and silently get that info across to the friendly investigators using dream cards. But none of the investigators know who the killer in their midst is. And the killer has to subtly steer them away from him when interpreting the dreams without giving himself up. Of course any mistaken guesses can be put down to misreading of dreams rather than subterfuge, if you're clever enough.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this sounds intriguing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Brodeur
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your idea a lot!

When I get this game, I'll try out your variant. It might be good enough to become an unofficial bgg variant!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnar Sveen
Norway
Fredrikstad
Østfold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea! How would you communicate the character/location/weapon to the murderer without giving them away?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
OK,

Set up the game as normal, eg:

8 people
8 locations
8 items

Now find the matching cards for the 'ghost', shuffle and deal out a set - the ghost looks at these (and now knows the 'killer', the 'murder site' and the 'murder weapon'). The rest of the Ghost cards can now go out of the game.

Now, get some unused cards from the box (equal to "investigators - 1" of each of the 3 types) and makes up 'sets' (people-location-item). Combined with the set created above, 1 set will the 'murder plot', the others sets of UNUSED cards (from the box)

The Ghost now deals one SET to each player - looking at each one first. The players each only look at the set they have been dealt, if the cards they have been given aren't in the game they are a clean 'Investigator', if the cards ARE in the game they are the 'killer' (and they know the complete 'plot'). Everyone now gives their cards back to the Ghost (though it may be a pain to remember what the Killer saw it's only 3 cards!!)

Now both the Ghost and the Killer know the 'Murder Plot' identity and no one else does...

(hope that makes some sense!!! it's a simple concept to explain in person!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Sorry to Bé late to THE party - I only just got this game.

But I'd like to propose two variants for this variant. First, the ghost doesn't know who the killer is. That means that the ghost has to pick from the ghost cards one set that corresponds with the cards on the table, and (#players minus one) sets of cards not in play, and randomly deal them to the players. Oversized sleeves may help; each set can be put in one of them.

Second variant: the killer himself doesn't know who he is (perhaps a descendant of the killer, intent on protecting the family honor). Each player is dealt a set of cards. The ghost receives these sets and selects one (randomising them first, if she doesn't want to know the identity of the killer either). She searches the corresponding ghost cards and puts them in front of her. Then she shuffles the cards if all the sets and reveals them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.