Subject: Army of the Rhine and of Italy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not receive the game yet but I am preparing myself .

As far as I can tell from the Opportunity Sheet, on Campaign I, there are only two battles: Valmy and Jemappes. These are not meant for the Army of the Rhine or the Army of Italy. This means that if you are in one of those armies, you will not see battle that campaign, right?

Campaign II does not have an army of the Rhine, so what is the purpose of being in the Army of the Rhine? And, knowing that you will not have the opportunity to shine in battle in Italy during campaign I, why would you want to be there?

Anyone can explain this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Langer
Germany
Coburg
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
FIS Franconian Gaming Club
badge
History teacher at work
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

the thing is that it's not about where you want to be, as you are a soldier in France's revolutionary army, no one's going to ask you about it - soldier's life...
You roll for your assignment and depending on your roll this could of course mean that you won't see any action - but you won't be killed either! That's the good news
But of course you want to gather fame and glory, so it is possible for your grognard to ask for an assignment to another command - this way you could try to get to an army that really goes into action.

By the way in Campaign II the Army of the Rhine becomes the Army of Rhine-Moselle, so it just changes its name. But sometimes armies/commands are disbanded, in which case you would get into a new command.

In summary: I think you shouldn't question the sense behind the game in mechanical terms - this game is not about refined mechanics, it's about simulating the life of an early 19th century soldier with all its ups and downs. You know: months of boredom with this one moment of glorious excitment that gets you medals and a nice tombstone...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answer. Yes, one's fate is one's fate. I was thinking too gamey, even while I love the randomness of LoH .

Just thought that each army would see action, except only for the Army of the Reserve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Langer
Germany
Coburg
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
FIS Franconian Gaming Club
badge
History teacher at work
mbmbmbmbmb
funnily enough, the army of the reserve sees a lot of action with garrison events, e.g. arresting the king and so on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Wimble
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Good posts Christian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to find out how the game works myself...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Wimble
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Should be soon. Some Europeans are grousing that it has arrived at some shops before their pre-ordered copies. As some general said, logistics are a bitch cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.