Popular Tags: cards [+] rules [+] [View All]
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was at game day at TG and Sally's today and one of the end of the evening games was Tichu. TG and I were partners playing against Alex and Amy. Amy was to my left; Alex to my right.
In this hand, Amy had gone out first.
The dog was the last card in my hand and I had the lead from my previous card play. I played the dog to give the lead to my partner, TG. Alex threw down a card from his hand. TG and I looked at him and I said, "What are you doing?"
He replyed, "I now have the lead as the dog passes the lead two players around the table. Therefore since Amy has gone out, the lead passes over TG to me".
I looked it up in the rules and it says that play passes to the partner of choice.
He said that was how it was played online.
I have never run into that particular way to play the dog.
So I'm just throwing it out there to see generally accepted way to play the dog.

ps
Amy and Alex destroyed us in the game. It was brutal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know how it's played online, but I've certainly never heard of the dog being played like that.

I suspect that Alex has seen a slightly different situation and misinterpreted it. If you play the dog after your PARTNER has gone out, the lead goes to the player on your right (assuming he or she is still in). This does mean it goes two positions around the table, but that's not WHY it does it - it goes to your partner, and if your partner is out, it goes around to the next player still in (if your right-hand neighbor is also out, it comes back to you).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Derrick
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's only 11:30!!! How can the game day be over already? Did Freddie kick you out?

I am very bummed that I missed the gameday, but, it was a lovely wedding.

OTH, how come you are home internetting? It's only 11:30!!

- rob

PS: Game content -- I played Sumo yesterday for the first time -- it was fun! I had forgotten how much I wanted to find this game. The search begins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'll second Dan's response. The dog passes the lead to your partner; if your partner has gone out, the next player in clockwise order who still has cards in hand leads to the next trick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dude
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state:

"...when a player leads a trick and plays the dog his partner immediately gets the right to lead for the next trick. If the player's partner has no more cards, the leading right passes to the player on his partner's right."

Therefore, Dan is correct. I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djbrickhaus wrote:
The rules state:

"...when a player leads a trick and plays the dog his partner immediately gets the right to lead for the next trick. If the player's partner has no more cards, the leading right passes to the player on his partner's right."

Therefore, Dan is correct. I hope this helps.

Note that the Zack seems to be playing clockwise while the rules you quote are for playing counter-clockwise. The only change needed would be making the last word "left" instead of "right."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
zboat wrote:

He said that was how it was played online.

It may or may not look that way depending on the circumstances, but I am fairly sure BSW follows the actual rules. It depends a lot on who has gone out. You can play the Dog and get the lead yourself if the appropriate people have already gone out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Alex is clearly confused. No, I can guarantee it does NOT play liike that online (on BSW, at least).

zboat wrote:
I looked it up in the rules and it says that play passes to the partner of choice.

??? You must have been looking at the 6-player-variant rule. There's no 'choice' whatsoever involved in playing the dog in 4-player Tichu.

The dog passes the lead to your partner's seat. If that seat is vacant, it passes to the next player in play order. If that seat is also vacant it passes to the next player in play order - which is to say, in a 4-player game, you. Whether your next-to-play opponent is out or not, does not change the behaviour of the Dog whatsoever. If your partner is still in the game, the Dog gives the lead to your partner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex is either misinformed or cheating. Possibly both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
He replyed, "I now have the lead as the dog passes the lead two players around the table. Therefore since Amy has gone out, the lead passes over TG to me".

Very important difference here...
I said it passed one player since Amy already was out your partner now is the next player and is passed. It doesn't EVER pass two players!
same goes for when there is only 2 players left you play the dog and get the lead again since you pass the next player wich is your opponent. If we were playing according to this (pass to your partner) then when playing the dog when only two players left would result in passing to the opponent which conflict again with always passing to your partner rule!
To clarify we were playing western rule to the left.

this is how i always played the rule on the dog: "pass the next player" in normal case this does mean your Partner gets the lead since you pass the opponent to the left. when that person is out (oppomnet to the left when someone plays the dog you pass the next wich is your partner however is it was the opponent to the right that is out your partner still gets the lead. Since the only opponent left is passed...
When only 2 players are playing the next player is always the opponent and thus is passed. therefore playing the dog (no matter wich opponent is already out) always lets you lead again.

The rules does indicate that play passes to your partner (4player rule)unless he doesn't have any cards left then play passes to his right (left if you were playing western style).

This is the rule we implied in this game and the outcome was the same anyway for this instance.

When i read the rules it was not the abacus spiele version (i believe it was the fata morgana version and in a different language) i would appriciate some input from those players who own other versions.
I'll play according to the offical abacus spiele version of the rules for now since these seem to be the norm.
Thanks all!
Cheers
lexen

PS:
Quote:

This is a very stupid remark since if someone is misinformed he's not cheating. If someone is cheating he is not misinformed...
Calling someone a cheater without knowing anything is about as low as you can go. Maybe you have to make up for certain things, maybe it's something else. But keep these comments for yourself next time please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyman Hurd
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shotokanguy wrote:

I am afraid this was another circumstance in which the inabillity of the written word to convey tone of voice or expression has transformed what charitably was probably intended to be humorous into a completely inappropriate comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
lexen wrote:

The rules does indicate that play passes to your partner (4player rule)unless he doesn't have any cards left then play passes to his right (left if you were playing western style).

This is the rule we implied in this game and the outcome was the same anyway for this instance.

I don't see how this can be interpreted to mean that the lead skips the next player. It clearly says the lead passes to your partner or the first player still in following your partner if your partner is out.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was up and gone so fast, imagine my surprise when it came back to the front page.
Just so everyone knows, I'm pretty sure the previous remark about Alex was in fun. I've been playing with Alex for a few years and he is one of the most gracious and nice players. Other than his penchant for winning, I could never complain about a game with Alex.
I was just surprised how he played the dog as I had never run into that particular interpretation before.
I was interested in what others thought and in no way wanted to razz Alex.
Sorry if it came off that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Zach,
I have no problems here, I just enjoy playing with you guys... This is not the first time i misinterpreted a rule and it will not be the last.
I can sure admit when i'm wrong, and in this case I was. Now i can play it the right way!
What beats me is those so called "i'm a rules god i never make mistakes and when someone else has a different interpretation of the rules he's cheating or a just plain stupid!" kind of guy!
This was clearly a mistake on my part and haven't read the rules recently and ever only read a different set than the abacus spiele.
Thanks for pointing it out.
Cheers
Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merlach Lukas
Switzerland
Bern
Bern
flag msg tools
lexen wrote:

When i read the rules it was not the abacus spiele version (i believe it was the fata morgana version and in a different language) i would appriciate some input from those players who own other versions.

Tichu is originally a fata morgana game. If you are in doubt just ask us.
verlag @ fatamorgana.ch
or read our rules at
http://www.fatamorgana.ch/tichu/Tichu_english.html

(but overall you get the correct answers here in the forum...)

Lukas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.