Ed M

Drums
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
Hello,

What expansions should I get first for primarily solo play (single fist- although not opposed to trying double fisted). I understand some expansions may require more powerful heroes or cards. The Khazad-dûm expansion looks cool but not sure if it will be too tough solo with just the core set.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with the first adventure pack. The designers have done a pretty good job of spreading out the card value between adventure packs and deluxe expansions.

Be warned the core quests will be tough to beat single handed solo. A mono-sphere core tactics deck will not quest very well. Without spoiling anything, one of the core quests is nearly impossible to complete single handed as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Courtney
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just go hard and buy everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tales from the cards' new player's buying guide always comes in handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R

Heidelberg
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Khazad-dum was the first expansion I bought and I enjoyed it a lot. Sure, it will pose some challenges if you only own the Core Set but it also comes with enough good Dwarf cards to be doable. I would say go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Griffiths
United Kingdom
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play this game solo with one deck, and I think there are only about three or four scenarios that are just not enjoyable solo. Everything else is fine, and a truly awesome Middle Earth experience! Some of the packs might have less-than-useful player cards, of course, and the Against the Shadow cycle introduced a lot for mono-sphere decks that you likely won't be using in a solo deck, but those quests are truly awesome and well worth getting.

Everything about this game has got something to offer the solo player, which is one of its major draws in my opinion, so the question shouldn't just be "what to get", but "what to get first". Eventually, I'm pretty sure you'll want to have the whole damn lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on the Tale from the Cards buyer's guide.

I personally enjoyed starting with The Black Riders saga expansion. Hobbits, yo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play entirely solo. I would highly recommend getting Black Riders first and then Road Darkens. They each give recommended decks that only need the core set. Also, you can play campaign mode which is awesome. I would suggest using easy mode, but you can bump up to normal and still win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started by getting the first cycle of adventure packs. I found that if I bought the adventure packs in cycles, I could pull out all the player cards and build decks. Then I worked through the quests one at a time.

My understanding is that's how each cycle was playtested, so it's a good approach if you can afford to buy 6 adventure packs at once.

I think I bought Khazad Dum and the first Hobbit saga next. They would also make a good first purchase as a pair - because, between them, they have a lot of good dwarf cards.

Black Riders is great fun, and makes a great hobbit deck - but really benefits from all the eagle cards in the first cycle. Hobbit/eagle decks are fun! The second cycle of adventure packs is also really good, but requires Khazad Dum to play any of the quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Redheaded Pharmacist
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Khazad-dum was my first purchase after the core set and it worked out really well for me. I think I played for at least one year with just those two purchases. Then I just started getting the adventure packs in order. I'm up to having all of the first two cycles now and there is a ton of gaming for me with those cards. The buyers guide from Tales from the Cards website really goes through all the available packs and expansions well and explains the merits of each choice. Whatever you decide, I hope you continue to enjoy this great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same position as the OP. Will probably play this almost exclusively solo. In that case, is a second core a waste? I would really rather spend money on new cards than on a second core (although I understand that a second core is almost required for coop games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Paper 'Mech - winner 'Best Overall Design' in the 2016 1-page PNP Contest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@BlueSwan

I've always mainly played solo and my first purchase after the core set was a second core set. It rounds out your deck building options so I wouldn't say it was a waste. I really wanted 3 copies of Sneak Attack, Test of Will, Feint, Protector of Lorien and Hasty Stroke.
There are better cards out there now due to the sheer size of the card pool, but some of those core set cards I list above are still regulars in my decks.

In answer to the OP, I went down the route of buying the AP's in order, but I also agree that a fast way to get a good strong deck going would be The Black Riders and following a Hobbit theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueSwan wrote:
I'm in the same position as the OP. Will probably play this almost exclusively solo. In that case, is a second core a waste? I would really rather spend money on new cards than on a second core (although I understand that a second core is almost required for coop games).

Another option, especially if you'll be playing mostly solo, is playing via CardWarden. The advantage is that even if you have only one of a certain card, you can still add three copies to a deck. Also, you can play on an airplane. The downside: it requires playing digitally rather than with the cards in hand. Also, you'll need an ipad, a scanner and the time it takes to scan all the cards. Maybe not the ideal option, but an option nonetheless. It's also a well-constructed app and a great way to take the game with you.

Here's a link to a forum thread about the app: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1014722/ios-how-do-you-use-c...

And here's a pic of the developer playing a game. Note that he's using the mini-card view. You can switch between this and a larger view.

[ImageID=http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1661550/imakegames]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate_001 wrote:
BlueSwan wrote:

Another option, especially if you'll be playing mostly solo, is playing via CardWarden. The advantage is that even if you have only one of a certain card, you can still add three copies to a deck. Also, you can play on an airplane. The downside: it requires playing digitally rather than with the cards in hand. Also, you'll need an ipad, a scanner and the time it takes to scan all the cards. Maybe not the ideal option, but an option nonetheless. It's also a well-constructed app and a great way to take the game with you.

Here's a link to a forum thread about the app: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1014722/ios-how-do-you-use-c...

And here's a pic of the developer playing a game. Note that he's using the mini-card view. You can switch between this and a larger view.

[ImageID=http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1661550/imakegames]

Thank you for the suggestion, but as I have pretty severe tendonitis in both my wrists, I try to avoid any kind of computer gaming at the moment. Also, I just generally prefer playing with real cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueSwan wrote:
a second core is not a waste, but i would probably buy other expansion packs first.

the box expansions include quite a lot of player cards and 3 quests each. a lot of bang for your buck if you will. you'll invariably want to continue the questline though, so if you really don't want to be tempted:

alternatively, the Saga expansions that follow the books have 3 quests with quite a few encounter cards to keep them interesting (less player cards though). each box comes with a recommended deck to use that only utilises cards from one core set and the box itself.
they're designed to complement just one core box and do a pretty good job of it imo. if i were to limit myself to core + a few other things, i'd probably just go for the saga expansions.

hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I would not get a second core set. A second core set doesn't actually give you that many useful cards, and although it gives you a 2nd copy of some good 1-ofs and a 3rd copy of some 2-ofs from the core set, these cards can very easily be proxied. Moreover, each core set comes with a set of encounter cards, which you won't need more than one set of (so half the cards you'd be paying for would be useless). As a core set is around $35-40 CAN, I wouldn't recommend that you get a second core set. Also, since you're playing on your own, proxying is not a big problem and it's a lot easier to do in LOTR than in Netrunner or Conquest.

Also, a second core is definitely not required even for coop games, unless you want to delve into 3- or 4-player -- I play coop with my boyfriend and we've never needed a second core set. I would definitely recommend that you spend money on new packs/cards instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dr00 wrote:
BlueSwan wrote:
a second core is not a waste, but i would probably buy other expansion packs first.

the box expansions include quite a lot of player cards and 3 quests each. a lot of bang for your buck if you will. you'll invariably want to continue the questline though, so if you really don't want to be tempted:

alternatively, the Saga expansions that follow the books have 3 quests with quite a few encounter cards to keep them interesting (less player cards though). each box comes with a recommended deck to use that only utilises cards from one core set and the box itself.
they're designed to complement just one core box and do a pretty good job of it imo. if i were to limit myself to core + a few other things, i'd probably just go for the saga expansions.

hope this helps

Yeah, I'm probably leaning towards just getting the core set and one or two deluxe expansions or saga expansions. It will depend a bit on what the store has in stock, as I'm going to a store that has a 20% sale tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.