Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
This report contains spoilers for the first and second scenarios. Read on at your own peril.

I recently had a chance to play Tragedy Looper with a group of friends. I had previously played the first scenario with my wife as the Mastermind, but this was my first time playing as a Protagonist. We first played the first scenario with me as the Mastermind,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
ending in my victory on Day 3 when the Protagonists failed to foil the murder of the Key Person.

For the second game, I asked if my friend would like to be the Mastermind, since he usually enjoys those types of roles - he and I usually "fight" over, who gets to be Jack in Letters From Whitechapel. He aggreed and we set the second scenario up.

On Day 1 cards were played on the Boy Scout, Shrine Maiden and Office Worker. I asserted that either the Boy Scout or the Shrine Maiden had the be the culprit of the Day 1 incident and that the other had to be the Conspiracy Theorist, so we had to keep them apart and play -1 Paranoia on the culprit. So we played -1 Paranoia on the Boy Student and Horisontal Move on the Shrine Maiden. The result was that both characters ended in the Hospital, with 1 Paranoia on the Shrine Maiden, since the cards were Diagonal Move on the Boy Student and +1 Paranoia. Whoops. The Mastermind then added another Paranoia on the Shrine Maiden and triggered the incident. From here it was a mad scramble to avoid the hospital incident.

Since he hadn't Masterminded before, my friend did misplay the rest of first day - in fact he thought he had lost, until he discovered the once per Loop 'add an Intrigue to a location' ability, which allowed him to add the second Intrigue to the School, losing the Loop for the Protagonists. We lost the second loop when the Cultist showed up, denying the 'Forbid Intrigue' on the School.

On day 3 the situation was this:
Hospital: Two Intrigue
Patient
Doctor - two Goodwill

City:
Office Worker (I think - the one with no role .. )

Shrine:
Shrine Maiden
Boy Student - two Paranoia
Girl Student - two Goodwill

School: No intrigue

Mastermind played cards on the Patient, School and Boy Student.

We knew the Shrine Maiden was the Conspiracy Theorist and the Boy Student was the Cultist. The Boy Student could not be allowed to enter the School - to avoid Death By School we had to play Forbid Intrigue on the School no matter what, but the Boy Student could negate that, if allowed to enter the School. However, if the card on the Boy Student was +1 Paranoia instead of a move card, we had to play -1 Paranoia to avoid the Hospital incident, which would kill the Protagonists. We could move the Doctor over and use his and the Girl Student goodwill abilities to remove two Paranoia from the Boy Student, but with the Conspiract Theorist also being present, this would not be enough if he got an additional +1 Paranoia from a card.

We basically had to decide if the Mastermind tried to move the Boy Student or give him additional Paranoia. I reasoned this out with the group and asked 'what should we do'. The Mastermind's girlfriend looked at me and said 'I don't think he thought as deeply into it as that. He probably played the move card'. So we forbade movement.
And won.

There is probably at least one extra layer. We could have played a horisontal move on the Boy Scout, which would negate both the vertical move and the +1 Paranoia, but if the Mastermind had though of that, he could have played the diagonal move on the Boy Scout.

My friend's misplay on Day 1 did make his task harder. Looking back, I should perhaps have stayed on as Mastermind, but I wanted to try the Protagonist role, and I really, really enjoyed it. The game feels quite stressful as the Mastermind, and marginally less so as the Protagonist.

In the end, we all like the game - I like it a lot. We will meet soon for a taste of the Basic Tragedies. I can't wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try setting table talk to "off." It makes it a lot more difficult for the Protagonists and more rewarding when they win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We will in the future. With table talk off the Protagonists can only discuss their plans between loops?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Baygents
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran that scenario last night and totally missed that plot rule! That would have helped so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rampantdragon wrote:
I ran that scenario last night and totally missed that plot rule! That would have helped so much.

You mean
that the Mastermind can add Intrigue once per Loop?

Yeah, that's pretty critical for their success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.