11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: arkham horror the board game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Polly Rigby
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
i have only just stared to get into the world of board games and i was thinking of purchasing of the arkham horror the board game i was wondering do you think that it a game worth purchasing and would it be suitable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What games have you played and what did you like about them? Also what did you totally not like? This way people can give a better advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DraedGhawl wrote:
What games have you played and what did you like about them? Also what did you totally not like? This way people can give a better advice.

DraedGhawl's question is indeed important for us to give you a better answer.

That being said: Arkham Horror is a very complex game, even when only using the base game. There are quite a lot of rules, and if you are not proficient in them, you (and your fellow players) may have a miserable time, because looking up rules during the game is a chore. Note that I say this as a fan of AH.

I recommend taking a look at Eldritch Horror, instead. It can be summed up as "Arkham Horror v2.0". It is much more streamlined and less fiddly, without being "dumbed down".

For both games, you may want to check out some review or playthrough videos. Also, both games have a collection of play-by-forum games. Here are two in which I played or I have moderated:
Arkham Horror PBF Game 2 - The Big Goodbye
Eldritch Horror PBF #8: Into the Woods [finished]

Oh, and welcome to the Geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rullman
Sweden
Solberga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DukeOfEarl wrote:
That being said: Arkham Horror is a very complex game, even when only using the base game. There are quite a lot of rules, and if you are not proficient in them, you (and your fellow players) may have a miserable time, because looking up rules during the game is a chore. Note that I say this as a fan of AH.

I recommend taking a look at Eldritch Horror, instead. It can be summed up as "Arkham Horror v2.0". It is much more streamlined and less fiddly, without being "dumbed down".

One might also point out that not everyone agrees that Eldritch Horror has not been dumbed down. I have not played it myself but I made a quite thorough comparison of the two and it seemed to me that Arkham suited our taste better.

That said, I would like to second that Arkham is an incredibly complex game. Adding a few expansions is a massive pain if you are not very good with the rules because it will get out of hand. Quickly.

There are also those that do not enjoy the style at all and I can see how. It is an odd game which falls in the category called Scooby-Doo games. Basically you are wandering about trying to find enough clues to have a half-decent chance of winning.

It's also a game that is not in everyones taste because it is not a game of winning as much as not loosing entirely. It's basically 5-8 hours of being, to use less vulgar language, unwillingly molested in the rearwards areas by a stranger in a shrubbery. I'm not kidding here, the system is pretty much designed to make you suffer as much as possible whilst still keeping your hopes up enough that you want to finish it.
So why do we play it? Because the feel of it is just so great. If you don't love craft (see what I did there?) you are going to have a miserable time. The quality of the game is that you can make it so immersing and a great cooperative experience.

I too would suggest trying your hands at something less complex and work your way up. It's also important that you have people who want to play it with you, a much overlooked factor in newcomers I've come to understand (myself included).

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I started in the hobby with Arkham Horror, but this was before Eldritch Horror came out. I think the latter is a better starting point, but Arkham is the deeper, more rewarding game. If you want a cooperative game that's very immersive, and don't mind a healthy dose of luck to facilitate that, I'd say go for it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Polly,

Welcome to the Geek.

As previously stated Arkham Horror is a difficult and complex game, particularly if you are new to boardgaming in general. I have been playing all types of games for nearly 40 years and my 2 or 3 efforts at AH have been interesting, but oh so long and ultimately slightly disappointing. Not because it is a bad game (it's certainly not), but after 6 hours or so I felt that I would rather have played a couple of other games and got more enjoyment from them.

Maybe the way to approach this is to look at the replays and videos that others have recommended and if you are still keen to try it out look for a local club or convention to see if someone is willing to play with you or let you join a game. I don't know where you are in the U.K., but I run the Weekend Gaming Group who organise 2 weekend conventions in the U.K. and our next one is in Knutsford, Cheshire from Thursday 19 March through to Sunday 22 March. These weekenders give enough time to play these longer games and Arkham Horror has certainly been played a few times over the years. If you are interested please drop me a direct line and I can detail it further.

Enjoy the hobby - it will become addictive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Negron
United States
New Hyde Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started the hobby with Arkham horror. It is a complex game but not as overwhelming as it's made out to be. It's just a lot of little rules to keep track of but they all make sense after a few plays.

I would recommend if you do get it just get the base game. Adding expansions makes the game very overwhelming and unplayable for a first timer.

That being said the base game alone is HARD, but very fun. This game is THE BEST game I have played where you feel like every turn will be your last and you feel impending doom. It is a great game and can get you immersed into love craft lore. I started reading the books because of the game.
My haven't played eldritch main reason being im afraid after playing Arkham and loving it and being able to absorb the rules I woukdnt like eldritch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
For what it's worth, I started in the hobby with Arkham Horror...

Same here. It wasn't the first game I ever played, but the first I had to be at an actual *gasp* gaming store.

I've owned Arkham for more than five years and played occasionally.
I bought Eldritch at release, played about half a dozen games in a month and then traded it away.

For my money Arkham Horror is the better game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendy Reischl

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Polly,

I agree with many of the others, watch a rules play through video first and decide if it looks fun to you. I consider this as a game that "needs a GM (game master)."

I've been playing board games and role playing games for decades and I would not have wanted to open that box to only then find out the amount of rules I was getting myself into. I have not found AH to be very satisfying, I like the scooby doo analogy, I never felt like there was a strategy and while you are all working towards the same goal the co-op aspect isn't strong because your characters typically aren't together.

I never bought AH, nor have I played EH. I took the middle option and bought Elder Sign. It is dice rolling heavy but conveys the same theme in much less time. I also purchased Mansion of Madness--which is a lite RPG which does require a game master.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Witch of Salem, which is AH/EH light, can still be found (it's out of print) and is shorter, less fiddly, and can give you the theme without all the other stuff. It's a co-op but has some hidden information that you may need to house rule. It's also smaller.

The name was unfortunate, since it is a Lovecraftian universe game; the reason for the title is that the designer set it in Salem and involved a witch that helps you out with the Elder God problem. I am sure some BGG-ers know why this rather odd decision was made.

It doesn't replace the behemoths that are AH/EH, but if you want the flavor, it's a nice alternative.

Back to your original question -- Arkham Horror would be suitable for someone who likes a long, cooperative game that has a role playing aspect to it. There are many rules to follow and keep track of during game play, and the set-up requires time and a rather large playing area comparatively. You would have to have friends who like adventures, in the Lovecraft universe, and are willing to learn a complex game to play together. No one actually "wins" -- you defeat the elder gods, or you are devoured. The odds are stacked against you. You can, however, play it solo and have fun if that's something that appeals to you. It does have expansions, too.

Eldritch Horror is just as hard to win, but it's more globe trotting (AH is just in one town) and more streamlined, as was mentioned. I have played both and prefer Eldritch, frankly, as they fixed some of the clunky problems of AH to make it play faster.

Personally, I don't see Elder Sign as being comparable, it's not as engaging or sprawling as the other two if you are looking for an adventure game. It's a lot of dice rolling. Still a good game, though, but you won't get everyone to play it. The expansion with the curse and blessing die are good for this one.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Reimus
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really is dependent on your experience. I feel that for Arkham Horror (AH), a role playing game (RPG) background is actually more helpful (experience wise) than a board gaming background.

I am experienced at both RPG and board games and picked up AH as a fan of Lovecraft. I really liked it. My first play was with my teenage daughter and pre-teen nephew and they didn't have a hard time picking it up as long as I took care of the mechanics and explained what to do.

From everything I have heard, Eldritch Horror is a lighter easier to play version that is great fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.