Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Piotr Konieczny
Poland
Katowice
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So as I am dusting off my cards and putting them in decks, I realize I lost most of my mats and tokens. And there's next to nothing out there, print-wise. I had a bunch of stuff, but it seems lost now All I have is the galactic politics mat.

If anyone has files they could share/upload (or make), it would be appreciated. Even a list of what was officially available would be nice. I see there was one more official mat (here) at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can remember, the only source of mats was the Premier and Great War starters, the only source of tokens was Great War and maybe Psi Corps starters. On top of that, the existing tokens were only for adding marks to cards through effects. They never printed influence, damage or stat tracking tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Schneider
Slovakia
Presov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True. There only are those two...

I have been thinking for a while now about creating a playmat for Babylon 5 CCG. You may have a look at it here:

I was thinking of using D6 for Unrest, Tensions and so on and D10 for Influence and the like.

I would love if you could provide me with any feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And so it begins . . .

Now you'll have to do mats for the remaining factions and the other tracker whose name escapes me, the one in the middle. whistle

I like it loads.

"If once you start down the dark path mat making path, forever will it dominate your destiny."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only real issue is that tracking influence with dice is going to be a real pain. I'd actually recommend using tokens for those, because you're moving them from spent to unspent every turn. For me that was always a pool of influence next to the inner circle row for unspent, and next to the supporting row for applied influence. But, other than that, it should work, and using dice to track tension is actually pretty brilliant.

With Shadows, Vorlons, and B5 influence, I'd almost suggest using spindown D20s, and just ignoring the entire issue of trying to track their influence on a separate sheet. If they get high enough to start the Great War, you might need a new plan, but, still.

At an aesthetic level the board layout looks really weird to me. But, that's not actually a problem. I would suggest having a spot somewhere to indicate ISA membership. Just plop a card over it. And a separate central mat for the Non-Faction pools and global enhancements might not be a bad idea.

Otherwise, really nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Schneider
Slovakia
Presov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wrrlykam wrote:
the other tracker whose name escapes me, the one in the middle. whistle

Which tracker do you mean?
There is:
- Influence Level (the level at which you are)
- Influence (the current state of your influence)
- Power (with a plus and minus - as it can go both directions)
- Unrest
- Tensions (with individual players P1 to P5, T = Tension, W = War token)

The other variants won't be that hard, as only a switch of the background picture is necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Schneider
Slovakia
Presov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarkeRealm wrote:
The only real issue is that tracking influence with dice is going to be a real pain.

I know. I am actually using pen and paper most of the time. I like to know how much I have right away and not need to count tokens.

StarkeRealm wrote:
With Shadows, Vorlons, and B5 influence, I'd almost suggest using spindown D20s, and just ignoring the entire issue of trying to track their influence on a separate sheet.
I would suggest having a spot somewhere to indicate ISA membership. Just plop a card over it. And a separate central mat for the Non-Faction pools and global enhancements might not be a bad idea.

ISA membership: good point. There is still some space left. What did you mean with "just plop a card over it"?

Central mat is a great idea! Thanks.
What spaces / information should it cover / provide? What do you mean with Non-Faction pools?

And thanks for the feedback to both of you guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
axolos wrote:
wrrlykam wrote:
the other tracker whose name escapes me, the one in the middle. whistle

Which tracker do you mean?
There is:
- Influence Level (the level at which you are)
- Influence (the current state of your influence)
- Power (with a plus and minus - as it can go both directions)
- Unrest
- Tensions (with individual players P1 to P5, T = Tension, W = War token)

The other variants won't be that hard, as only a switch of the background picture is necessary.

I was thinking of a shiny new replacement for the shared tracker from the centre, B5, Shadows etc that come on that flimsy sheet mention in the OP.

What ships are you hoping to use for the other mats?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Schneider
Slovakia
Presov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, understand.

About background images: dunno. This one is - if I recall correctly - from Amras'es work. Have a look at http://amras-arfeiniel.deviantart.com. There are already plenty of nice images. If you want something special, I have no problem to make a custom one for you - you will just need to get it printed somewhere by yourself. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
axolos wrote:
StarkeRealm wrote:
The only real issue is that tracking influence with dice is going to be a real pain.

I know. I am actually using pen and paper most of the time. I like to know how much I have right away and not need to count tokens.

StarkeRealm wrote:
With Shadows, Vorlons, and B5 influence, I'd almost suggest using spindown D20s, and just ignoring the entire issue of trying to track their influence on a separate sheet.
I would suggest having a spot somewhere to indicate ISA membership. Just plop a card over it. And a separate central mat for the Non-Faction pools and global enhancements might not be a bad idea.

ISA membership: good point. There is still some space left. What did you mean with "just plop a card over it"?

Central mat is a great idea! Thanks.
What spaces / information should it cover / provide? What do you mean with Non-Faction pools?

And thanks for the feedback to both of you guys!

Sorry, I meant a token. A open spot for ISA membership and then drop a token there to indicate it.

Non-Faction influence would be B5, Vorlons, and Shadows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Schneider
Slovakia
Presov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Schneider
Slovakia
Presov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have updated the image with the ISA token and conflict resolution check:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Konieczny
Poland
Katowice
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Few thoughts.

First - this is great!

Second. I agree that the dice (or number marker) counters are a bit of a pain; at the same time I understand the point about token piles being difficult to count. The best solution, I think, is a form of a spin counter, but nobody (well, almost...) is going to bother with a mechanical add-on to an already-not-too-easy-too-print mat. So... I think we can be smart about it. There are ways around it, on the mats. For example, I've seen MtG mats where players have a life track printed on the side; see this for a sample idea. You could add a track of 1-25 (or whatever is a good number for B5 games, I haven't played in ages...) at the top. Then players could just move one token to reflect their current unspent influence for the turn.

I was thinking one could have dial like counter where people could move around printable clock-hands, but that's probably too much of a trouble. Tokens are easier to come by.

Btw, influence level is your max influence, and influence, your current one, right? If so, I'd suggest labeling them as such. And shouldn't we have a counter for power? Out of those, I think we can keep max influence and power in those hexagonal counters for dice/numbered tokens, as they would not change as much as others. How about that?

Third. Images. It would be nice to get a background for each faction, but you can never make everyone happy, so in addition/instead I'd suggest that you post a template for your file (psd, or whatever you use) so people could apply their own favorite images to it. Through for this to be totally legit, we should only use creative commons images, and those are hard to come by. A colleague of mine started a printable mat shop in Poland, and he is hosed from posting most deigns, as their creators didn't license them under a free license, or they can't find a single free image. Now, he (and we) can still print anything we want, but they cannot put images of (let's say) your mat in their shop, because it would violate your rights, the image creator rights, and (probably) whoever owns the B5 rights (WB). Sigh. Not much we can do about it, probably. Just saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Schneider
Slovakia
Presov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First: Thanks!

Second:
I agree that the best way would be to incorporate a tracker like the one in the link. I would love to do that and actually my initial designs had something like this. However two things stand against it: first is the space on the playmat - it is already crammed as it is and I just do not see the tracker to fit any where without losing more information or redistributing it weirdly. The other thing is that the game does not have a limit to influence, thus a tracker may be not enough. Sure, it rarely goes beyond say 25 but still, I would like to keep it more open. Nevertheless, I think people will just more-or-less stick with their system of counting influence, so I would not bother much.

Good points with the renaming of the stat names for influence - I did look into the rules booklet and picked names which come from the game, thus it is Influence Rating from now and Available influence. I have also added a space for temporary influence which is not counted towards the rating, however can be used.

Third:
Surely, commercial printing of this is out of question. If anybody wants to print this for themselves though, they are more than welcome! I have checked the license for the image and switched to a different one which is also by Amras, however this one is actually a CC license, so I added Attribution for it to be okay.

Here is the latest iteration:

Sharing the design is no problem. I will upload it here after I am done with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Konieczny
Poland
Katowice
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there's space on the edges. You could loop it around starting from 1 going to whatever fits, or try to have single digits on one side (left), and double digits (tens) on the other (right). Or have both clustered at the top, which would be a bit closer to your opponents. Either way it would work with people sliding tokens. You don't need the numbers to be very visible, but I think even the token placement would be helpful. I personally don't like any form of dice counters other than d6; they are too easy to accidentally reroll, and a pain to find the right numbers. While your mat would work with number tokens (like the ones actually released with the game), finding the right one and adjusting the numbers would, I think, still be more time consuming than simply sliding a token along the "score track". This is the mechanic used in most board games, after all.

Looking a t the mat, I think it could be slid down to the bottom right, freeing even more space for those numbers on the left and top sides. Make them square, a bit smaller than the current square T token in the top right, and you can have quite a few.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Schneider
Slovakia
Presov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prokonsul Piotrus wrote:
A colleague of mine started a printable mat shop in Poland...

Could you ask him what the price would be for printing some mats?

The material is the same as for mouse pad as far as I know and the size is 60x35 or 70x35 cm.

I am currently also checking for prices in Slovakia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Schneider
Slovakia
Presov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated the design with some feedback from my play group and previous posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice.

For some reason the + and - slot for a power modifier die reminds me of the tie in RPG that got cranked out while the show was still on the air (The Babylon Project). I think it used two D6, one got added to the roll and the other got subtracted. (Though, that might be the LUG Star Trek RPG, I can't remember.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Konieczny
Poland
Katowice
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
axolos wrote:
Prokonsul Piotrus wrote:
A colleague of mine started a printable mat shop in Poland...

Could you ask him what the price would be for printing some mats?

You'd have to send them an email. The shop url is http://playmaty.pl/

Email is matydogier@gmail.com

I am reasonably sure that they can communicate in English, even through the store for now is only in Polish. They can and do print custom mats, I got a few from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Schneider
Slovakia
Presov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarkeRealm wrote:
Very nice.

Thanks!

StarkeRealm wrote:
For some reason the + and - slot for a power modifier die reminds me of the tie in RPG that got cranked out while the show was still on the air (The Babylon Project). I think it used two D6, one got added to the roll and the other got subtracted. (Though, that might be the LUG Star Trek RPG, I can't remember.)

Yup, it was The Babylon Project - I am actually thinking of running a group by using those rules this Sping. Not sure how it is going to work out but looking forward to it already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
axolos wrote:
StarkeRealm wrote:
Very nice.

Thanks!

StarkeRealm wrote:

Yup, it was The Babylon Project - I am actually thinking of running a group by using those rules this Sping. Not sure how it is going to work out but looking forward to it already.

I think that LUG Trek had that additional 'action' die roll that tempered the actual result. Say if you fail the die could turn it to, "oh wrong password entered - please enter the correct password" sort of fail" or "oh man I've trigger the alarms, a lockdown and knock out gas is being released".

My copy of LUG Trek lost in the bowels of the family vault (attic).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wrrlykam wrote:
axolos wrote:
StarkeRealm wrote:
Very nice.

Thanks!

StarkeRealm wrote:

I think that LUG Trek had that additional 'action' die roll that tempered the actual result. Say if you fail the die could turn it to, "oh wrong password entered - please enter the correct password" sort of fail" or "oh man I've trigger the alarms, a lockdown and knock out gas is being released".

My copy of LUG Trek lost in the bowels of the family vault (attic).
That might be it. I remember both games tested everything on 2d6, and used heavy template systems for creating your characters. With The Babylon Project long form character creation was actually kinda fantastic. With LUG's Trek it was... I remember making characters as a nightmare of paperwork. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I've never played a game of the LUG system. When my group was given the choice between that and the D20 version of Traveler, the system we were familiar with won out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Gandy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Hey there! First of all, I really like your Youtube videos. I've recently purchased the starter decks (and a few boosters) and your tutorials have been useful.

I loved your custom mat and wondered if A.) You would be interested in letting me use your template without graphics (so I could put my own faction art behind it) or if B.) You would be willing to make a few different versions of your mat with faction art behind each one.

My ultimately goal is to make several mats for my gaming group so when people come to play I have one for each faction.

Let me know what you think. Thank you for your time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.