15 Posts

Magic: The Gathering» Forums » General

Subject: Where to Buy Common/Uncommon Core Sets x4 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
My wife and I just got into Magic and we are looking to beef up our collection quickly. I don't want to spend the money to buy a complete set with rares and mythics, so I was wondering where I could get a good deal on just an uncommon/common set for a few of the more recent releases (2015 core, Khans, etc.)

Canadian sites are preferable, but if it's a really good deal I can drive down.

Is this a good idea to start? We are just playing for fun, so we don't need big powerful rares. It's tough building a deck when we don't have duplicates. It's just a mess of 60 different cards right now.

We currently have the 2015 starter sets and a few packs here and there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought them on eBay before and they've been quite affordable-$30-40 including shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think well-thought-out singleton decks can be enjoyable, especially since it's just you and your wife playing casual games (I play exclusively with my wife). The Duel Decks Wizards puts out are near-singleton decks, and they are fun. Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playsets are definitely an eBay buy. They're usually constructed when sellers break apart packs or complete sets from Magic Online in order to sell the rares separately. Local shops rarely do this, as they rely on local players selling or trading in their rares. Exceptions exist, of course, but I wouldn't expect a local shop to have playsets.

As for casual play, a C/U playset is a nice way to allow for cheap construction of decks with enough multiples of key cards to play consistently. Personally, I find MtG loses a lot of its sparkle without some rares, but others disagree. If you look around online, you'll find that most rares in a set don't cost more than $0.50 or so, so you could each spice up your decks with a few of them for a very low cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Strange question: What should I be searching for on Ebay? I don't really know what to call what I want that is the most common term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, usually "playset" is a good key word, but they're not always consistently listed or categorized. Sometimes you have to try a few different searches. But "mtg khans common playset" brings up useful results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Milbrath
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven.
badge
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things. - Isaiah 45:7
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
Strange question: What should I be searching for on Ebay? I don't really know what to call what I want that is the most common term.

I typically do a search of the set I'm looking for + common uncommon x4, or playset. So for example:

Khans of Tarkir common uncommon x4

Edit: Side note, but watch out for MTGO or Magic Online in the post as well. Don't buy those or you'll end up with a nice common/uncommon playset of digital cards.

Edit2: Also, most playsets run around ~$30 for the last few sets. Anything more than a few years old becomes hard to find or expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Cool. I'll keep looking.

We've decided to limit ourselves to only the 2015 set (for a strong base to build a deck) and then we will buy the odd pack from random sets when we see feel the itch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently listed an M13 4x uncommon/common set that didn't sell for $30 with free shipping. If you aren't set on M15 or in a rush poke around and you might find a better deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zurk burk
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you both get tired of pre constructed decks and the repetitive nature of constructed in general, you may even consider building a draft cube. It is my favorite way of playing kitchen table magic.

Wonderful and realy thought out cubes (in my opinion) are:

Core Set Cubes:

Tommy´s Cube:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/694888/core-set-cube

Seabie´s Cube:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1017047/seabies-take-core-se...

Powered Cube:

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/the-cube-forum/c...

There are tons of good cubes out there. For every budget, for every playstyle... and you can still consider printing proxies for the rare cards to keep the initial investment low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
I ended up ordering some sets from Icarus Magic on Ebay (who I believe is the same person who owns CardHaus).

I got the 2015 and Khan set as well as all the rares from Khan. I think with shipping it came to 60 dollars. 60 bucks for around 1700 cards isn't too bad and it's a good base to build off.

We have not really decided how we want to play the game. There are three of us so we're going to look into multiplayer rules, but we do play 2 player a lot as well.

I really dig the Tribal Wars variant. I think all three of us prefer thematic variants over the traditional most expensive cards win version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
I got the 2015 and Khan set as well as all the rares from Khan. I think with shipping it came to 60 dollars.

(blink) (blinkblink)

I strongly doubt this.

One of each of the five rare lands from Khans would sell for over $70.

If he sent you a Flooded Strand, Polluted Delta, Windswept Heath, Bloodstained Mire, and Wooded Foothills, PLUS 1695 other cards (including Siege Rhino and Dig Through Time), for $60, I need to get myself on board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zurk burk
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:

I really dig the Tribal Wars variant. I think all three of us prefer thematic variants over the traditional most expensive cards win version.

That is why you build a cube

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
A cube!? Oh lords, then I would have to sleeve all those cards instead of just 60! The horror!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bumping this thread to see if anyone has a source for common/uncommon sets in Canada. The ones I come across on ebay are all in the U.S., and with the $20+ shipping, a likely $6 hit at customs, and the exchange rate, a $25 set becomes $65.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.