After receiving the game on time for xmas testing, I think it needs some tweaking to make it even more enjoyable, specially the two player version. There are a few cards that are totally useless when you are the first/second player of the round:
Watchman: when you are first, the watchman will protect you until your next turn, which means two days (the rest of the current one and the first part of the next). However, when you are second, the watchman does nothing at all.
Pioneer: exactly the same as the watchman, it is only useful when you are the first. I am aware that the pioneer is never useful for one of the players, but in the two player games, that happens quite often.
Navigator: It is not usable for the first one, as always, but it is quite underpowered for the second as well.
As I said, I had quite a few chances to play test, and while I find it very entertaining, I think that a few of this guys in the draft can ruin the experience, because they render your day completely useless.
The proposed version of 1 gold for discarded card could possibly mitigate these drawbacks, but being able to do it with every card seems overkill (plus destroying the spirit of the original game). Therefore, and taking into account that the three aforementioned cards are town folks I propose the following:
1. One player can get one gold by discarding a ship card AS LONG AS she has already two ships being built at the end of the day.
2. One player can get one gold by discarding a craftsman AS LONG AS he has already four of them hired at the end of the day.
3. One player can get one gold by discarding a townsfolk AS LONG AS it does nothing for the player (pioneer for the next player in line, watchman for the last player of the round, laborer when already 8 ppl etc).
I am aware that these rulings are complicated to apply, and therefore should be tested by expert players when the rules are clearly understood by everyone.
Hope it helps
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
We too felt the limited ways to get gold slowed the game down a bit. My proposal is using the townsfolk board and adding this action: Place one worker and then the player can exchange any resource for one gold. Not sure if it should be limited or not though.
I will probably also try it in conjunction with your ideas as all of them together will help speed the game up as it can drag out sometimes especially with all the take that involved.
- Last edited Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:46 am (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:49 pm