10 Posts

Star Realms» Forums » Variants

Subject: Scrap Scrap Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Clingman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're testing a new variant at Megahaulin'. Here's how it works: Once you've shown the trade row and decided who goes first, the player who is on the draw (goes second) scraps a card from the trade row, which is then replaced. The player who is going first also scraps a card, which is itself replaced and then play starts as normal.

Our initial test results are showing that this reduces the runaway early feeling of having your opponent with a Freighter or Trade Pod/Cutter beginnings.

We would love to hear more insights from those of you who give this variant a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My follow up question is:

When you play a game with that run away feel at the beginning dies that actually translate into a win?? Does the player win more than 50% of the time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Clingman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly depends on the opening, but if player 1 draws two vipers and can't buy anything on the trade row and player two gets a freighter and a shuttle it's heavily slanted to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt G
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great idea! But you could still end up with an even better card for your opponent replacing the one you scrapped--just like in the game.

How about lay out seven and scrap two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe scrapping results in certain cards being out more often than not? We've played a similar variant, but shuffled (or rather put somewhere into the middle) the chosen cards back into the trade pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Clingman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt, I think this probably works better actually. It eliminates the "Monster under the bed" with the draw.

TM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Clingman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt,

We modified this to "Draw 7, Scrap 2" and it's actually worked out incredibly well. It's the default play mode now.

D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
The_Mystic wrote:
Once you've shown the trade row and decided who goes first, the player who is on the draw (goes second) scraps a card from the trade row, which is then replaced.

Emphasise mine. What do you exactly mean by the bold part. Is this is a hint, that you don't know your starting hand yet, when you decide what to scrap from the initial trade row? If not, I'm obviously interested to know whether or not you know your starting hand.
Also: Why exactly do you let the second player scrap first? Wouldn't it be an alternative to let the second player scrap second?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this may be carry over from Magic the Gathering terminology? I know Dustin uses it a lot on the podcast as well. I believe that in Magic, the player going first doesn't draw a card at the start of their turn, but the player going second does draw a card.

This is somewhat similar to Star Realms, where first player starts with two less cards than second player, but there is not actually any drawing going on, so it is a bit of a misnomer for the context of this game.

I don't Dustin specified whether or not Player 1 and Player 2 will have looked at their hands before this scrapping process or not, just that player order had been determined. I would think seeing your scout/viper distribution before making the decision would be important. 4/4 start may want to scrap away a 5-cost card, but a 3/5 or 5/3 likely doesn't. So, I'd say, look at your cards first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor James
United Kingdom
Norwich, Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would the imbalance not be so severe if the first player draws 4 cards instead of 3? I've played with a friend now for several weeks and we find that the starting player is almost invariably at a disadvantage. I have other issues with this but will transfer to the general forum to pursue this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.