Steam Donkey» Forums » Rules

Subject: Identical attractions rule only applies to Advanced Rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K Soper
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I have read the various threads, and the rules clarifications document, regarding what is an 'identical attraction.' However, the questions and replies all sound to me like they could be applied at all times.
Just so I can be clear when teaching or playing, do the 'identical attraction' restrictions apply only when using the advanced rules, or are they restrictions for the scoring of the basic game as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kendall
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Hi Konrad

We placed this rule in the advanced rules because we were trying to keep the 'basic' game as straight-forward as we could. As you probably realise there is rather more than meets the eye when learning Steam Donkey, even before introducing the extra cards. We felt this was one rule that could be usefully saved until later. You could use it in the basic rules without a problem.

As you will have discovered by reading earlier posts and threads there is however a glitch in this rule for which we do apologise - maybe it wouldn't have happened had we not used the Advanced rule section (who knows). Anyhow, as with other clarifications the correct explanation is to be found on our web-site Steam Donkey section. Here it is anyway:

Question: What is meant by ‘Identical Attractions’? There are a number of cards that have the same name, colour and picture – for example “Public House” – but with different costs, VPs and visitor numbers. Are these considered identical for scoring (i.e. only the top version would score)? Or would both score as they have different VP values?

Answer: If attraction ‘images’ (this word is not included in the rules) in the same space are the same, then only one of them will count at scoring. Costs, visitor numbers and points may be different. Just to clarify that the player may choose which of the identical attractions will score (presumably the one having most points!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Soper
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks, Steve.
Have only played this 2P so far, and once my friend and I agreed on when to apply the 'IA Rule', we used it in the base game and all worked well. Glad to know this has official support.
The next time we'll try not using it for the base game and see how that works out in comparison.

And now that we're confident with the rules, we'll be getting into the advanced section. Yay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.