6 Posts

Grand Slam» Forums » Variants

Subject: Service Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Al G
Philippines
flag msg tools
Played the game a couple of times and was thinking of a way to improve service. In tennis the server usually has the upper edge, so to incorporate this in the game (instead of the top card of the deck) I was thinking of the following (using Master rules):

1. Server draws 7 cards (instead of 6) and does preparation (placing 1 to 4 cards face up in front of him or her)
2. Server chooses a card from his hand (instead of from top of deck)

Done...

So doing this gives the server the ability to aim for holes in the other player's preparation.

Now to add more advantage:

3. Server has the option to show and discard the top card of his deck, if the top card has the same attack (ball destination) with the service card (card chosen from number 2), the serve becomes a smash

else

the server commits a fault and serves again (repeat step 1, discard the service card and the shown card)

Two faults gives the opponent the point. Note that step 3 is optional so the server can choose to play it safe and not attempt to get a service ace (smash on serve)

I wonder if it'll work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the game Tennis includes rules for service. Maybe you could use some of them....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al G
Philippines
flag msg tools
bradandmary wrote:
I believe the game Tennis includes rules for service. Maybe you could use some of them....

I've read the rules, it seems that for that game, they have a dedicated serve deck and the server also draws a card from that (it contains ace, in and fault cards)

Sounds good since it adds fault and ace but its 100% chance (or memorizing what already came out) and server does not have much of an advantage over receiver (other than the chance of getting an ace).

I'm was thinking of trying to emulate a real tennis game wherein the server has control of serve placement (choosing a direction where the receiver has no receive cards in preparation) and can take risks by going for hard to hit serves (risking a fault) as a first serve and going safe on the second serve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel Seoane
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
laremisol wrote:
Played the game a couple of times and was thinking of a way to improve service. In tennis the server usually has the upper edge, so to incorporate this in the game (instead of the top card of the deck) I was thinking of the following (using Master rules):

1. Server draws 7 cards (instead of 6) and does preparation (placing 1 to 4 cards face up in front of him or her)
2. Server chooses a card from his hand (instead of from top of deck)

Done...

I'll tell you haw the Master Rules should have been (which is how I play it and how it originally was).

For starters, you don't place "one to four cards" on the table. You place as many as you want, as long as the return areas don't overlap.

For the serve, serving player prepares first, returning player prepares afterwards (then serving player's partner and returning player's partner, when playing doubles), then serving player serves from hand or from the table.

Regarding the hand size, it should be 5 cards, not six. Serving player then draws six, so he doesn't need to draw after serving (though I'm fine with starting with five, serving and then drawing one, it's just less practical, IMHO).

I'm not a fan of the "play the top card of the deck" rule. I guess it's ok for the basic rules, just to make things easier, but definitely not for the Master rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel Seoane
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
laremisol wrote:
I'm was thinking of trying to emulate a real tennis game wherein the server has control of serve placement (choosing a direction where the receiver has no receive cards in preparation) and can take risks by going for hard to hit serves (risking a fault) as a first serve and going safe on the second serve.

I forgot to mention that I LOVE your concept of risking a first serve to try to make it a Smash, and will probably adopt it from now on.

I would probably dismiss the repeat of step 1, though, so if you risk and miss your first serve, you play from what you are left with and start the point with a slight disadvantage. But I will have to test both ways before I decide which is best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al G
Philippines
flag msg tools
That is good to know! I will probably start using the original master's rules.

I'm really glad that you loved the first serve concept. I haven't gotten a chance to play with someone using the idea but I noticed that 6 out of 24 cards are center baseline shots, so its obviously the best type of serve to use if gunning for a smash during serve, which means that the receiver should probably always prepare a middle baseline receive to avoid an early off balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.